Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dash radio replacement

Well, after getting the cook top back-splash handled I am looking to replace the dash radio/CD player replaced with an up to date unit. I want one with the auxiliary plug for my Ipod, an SD card slot for music and what ever the new ones have. Here is the question, where do I get one to fit the hole in the dash? The one I have is the large thing that was standard in '03. Any help out there would be appreciated.
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

tbomn,
You say your rig is an '03? An '03 what? What kind of radio/model/name do you have? Is it a "Magnadyne"? In our '04 Itasca Horizon, we have the Magnadyne and it has the aux input in the rear for our I-pod etc. We have our Kenwood Sirius Radio plugged into it at present. Not sure how your radio is mounted but, ours is mounted using the usual method of, special release tools to slip it out of its cage. Then, the cage is held in with bent tabs.

As for what fits in that particular size hole? You'll have to either take it with you when you're on the hunt or, take some measurements and take them with you. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
tbomn,
You say your rig is an '03? An '03 what? What kind of radio/model/name do you have? Is it a "Magnadyne"? In our '04 Itasca Horizon, we have the Magnadyne and it has the aux input in the rear for our I-pod etc. We have our Kenwood Sirius Radio plugged into it at present. Not sure how your radio is mounted but, ours is mounted using the usual method of, special release tools to slip it out of its cage. Then, the cage is held in with bent tabs.

As for what fits in that particular size hole? You'll have to either take it with you when you're on the hunt or, take some measurements and take them with you. Good luck.
Scott
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G.... yes, it is a Magnadyne. It is probably the same one you have. I have not looked on the back of the unit to see if there is an auxiliary input back there. I would think that the mounting stuff is the the same as yours, we have two little wires hooked on one end to insert to detach the unit. I will have to check out the back..
Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

tbomn,
I don't know if you've had that radio out before or not but, you'll need two, special little "keys" (tools) to slide right into the sides of the radio to allow you to "trip" the releases in there and, therefore the radio will slide out of it's cage. It's a standard system for holding in radios.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The above poster are correct about the aux inputs. On removing and replacing the following problems present themselves.

Vehicle type radios come in what is referred to as a Din size. One Din standard is 2" high x 7" wide . Subsequent Din sizes are multiples of that. 7" in is standard width. It is only the height that changes.

1) The magnadyne is what they call a 1.8 din size. Take 2 " x 1.8 for height
2) Finding a replacement that fits exactly is not to be found. They quit making that size.
3) You can replace with a 1 din size with an adapter (they can be hard to find in 1.8)
4) 1.5 din sizes can be found, but are still hard to find. But a filler would still be needed.
5) You can enlarge the opening to a 2 Din.

My 2007 Sightseer had the madnedyne. (sitting on a shelf now) It actually had 2 aux inputs. I replaced it with an Alpine double din unit and modified the mounting plate. The process for doing that

1) Remove the plate from the dash disconnecting all switches, etc
2) Remove everthing that is attached to the plate.
3) Using the replacement radio cage mark on the plate which horizontal edges need to be cut and how much. I us.ed tape as a guide
4) Using a Dremel with cutoff wheels patiently cut the opening to the right height.

I cut mine at both the top and the bottom as that would give me the correct placement with interfering with anything else.

Good luck on you choice and direction you take.
wmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys for the info. I am headed out check out the back side of the radio and will report what I find.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
Thanks guys for the info. I am headed out check out the back side of the radio and will report what I find.
Nothing special back there. No place to plug any auxiliary unit into it. The back has lots of wires in a bunch of places that I have no idea what they may be for... After looking all this over, I think I will just leave well-enough alone. Everything works, I can listen to CD's and I have a bluetooth speaker system that I can run my music from my iphone through... I can live with it the way it is.... Thanks again to all that responded.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Joe,

Here's another option for you. Assuming you have a cassette player, purchase a cassette adapter which will plug directly into your iPod or XM radio. My 2005 dash radio also does not have an aux. input in front or rear of the unit (even though both the outdoor and bedroom radios do have an aux.input) and I wanted XM radio. I purchased an inexpensive Snap XM which plugs directly into the dash lighter outlet by the radio. It works great over the regular coach surround speakers. I first tried it using the FM wireless method which resulted in poor sound quality. The casette adapter sound quality is much,much better. I simply fished the XM antenna wire under the dash cover and lay it in the front left corner of the dash. The reception is good about 98% of the time using this method. I didn't want to fish up to or through the roof.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Joe,

Here's another option for you. Assuming you have a cassette player, purchase a cassette adapter which will plug directly into your iPod or XM radio. My 2005 dash radio also does not have an aux. input in front or rear of the unit (even though both the outdoor and bedroom radios do have an aux.input) and I wanted XM radio. I purchased an inexpensive Snap XM which plugs directly into the dash lighter outlet by the radio. It works great over the regular coach surround speakers. I first tried it using the FM wireless method which resulted in poor sound quality. The casette adapter sound quality is much,much better. I simply fished the XM antenna wire under the dash cover and lay it in the front left corner of the dash. The reception is good about 98% of the time using this method. I didn't want to fish up to or through the roof.

cheers,
Joopy
I have one of those, I will give it a shot.... Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
I have one of those, I will give it a shot.... Thanks for the idea.

That's what I use and it works well.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
That's what I use and it works well.
Bob
I just gave it a try and it works great... iphone, MP3 players, XM radio, everything works great. I hooked up the iphone and cranked up the home theater system, and all I can say is WOW!!! We will be rockin' while going down the highway now...

Thanks all for the advise and suggestions.....I am a happy camper now.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I use this unit because it has great sound and many frequencies to choose from. It also has an accessory plug built in so you don't lose use of your cigarette lighter plug in your dash.

Coby - Wireless Car FM Transmitter - CA745
Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Single DIN install to replace Magnadyne Radio

Let me share my experience with installing a single DIN sized radio to replace the Magnadyne found in many of the Winnebago/Itasca's built during late 90's to about 2006 since I just finished it today.

I purchased a Pioneer unit on a Black Friday sale at Car Toys because I wanted the ability to play mp3 files from a USB stick and directly attach and control an ipod/iphone as well as having bluetooth capability that the Magnadyne did not have.

I went to my local Frys Electronics store which has a good selection of after market dash kits. Though they didn't have any RV specific kits, they suggested one of the Ford kits which is about the same size as the 1.8 DIN of the Magnadyne radio. I ended up purchasing three different kits before I found one that would fit with the least amount of rework on the dash. The kit is shown on the first picture below. It is a Metra 99-5802 Ford multi kit. If you don't have a Frys or car audio installation store near by you can find this on Amazon.com's web site.

The second picture is what I needed to modify on the dash. I used a dremel to cut a notch on the top left and right corner of the opening. The blue tape was used to tell me where to stop cutting. It's about 1/3" up by about a 1/3" wide for each notch.

With this dash mod the Metra kit snapped right in. This took far less time then rewiring the Pioneer wire bundle to the Chassic wire. Although that was fairly painless since the chassic wire has a short adapter bundle that went from the Magnadyne to the Chassic connector so I was able cut that and do all of the soldering on my kitchen table rather then directly under the dash.

Third picture is the finished install.

Fourth picture is the tool need to remove the Magnadyne radio. It's called a DIN removal tool.

The total time to do the install was a about an hour and a half after I figured out which dash kit would work so hopefully this will help anyone who wants to swap out there radio.

The install went smoothly and the sound is much better than the old unit, even with the old speakers!

-Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-01 10.57.54.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	29864   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-01 09.56.23.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	29865  

Click image for larger version