Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Tire Balancing

Recently I spoke top a retail tire supplier who said they use something called equal or equate for tire balancing. Its like a sandbag that breaks open once in the tire and rim to keep the tire in balance. They do this instead of actually spin balancing the tires. Has anyone had any experience with this method?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have used beads for about two years now will not goback to spin balancing. Realy like the ride and have had no problems with them. Will use them on next set of tires.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Recently had the Equal tire balance on my 2005 Horizon, with IFS and aluminum wheels, had a terrible ride until I got to the Gaffney. They said it was not unusual for this to happen. It was sucked out and rebalanced with lead stick on weights and a smooth ride thereafter.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I used Equate in our last MH and the ride was fine, but after a year or so I noticed that we kept losing air in the tires. The loss was only a few pounds, but enough to require me to top up before every trip.

I later learned that the Equate powders sometimes affect the rubber valve stems. So, I think the solution might be to have metal valve stems installed if you go with the Equate balancing powder, at least that is what I was told. I traded our coach and never tried the new valve stems. I am not using the Equate powder in our new coach.

Good luck
Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Marty&Pat
The dealer said he puts a special valve stem on each wheel that has the equate in it to prevent loosing air.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

When I recently checked the air in my tires the valve stem core kept leaking air until they were completly flat When I replaced the core's they were full of sand
Old 05-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks GG1. That is what I probably needed and did not know about. I had the Equate put in in Jan 2004, so perhaps it was a new balancing concept ?? at the time. Anyway, glad to hear dealers are putting on special valve stems.

Not sure what to make of the sand in your shoes problem!!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Equal is fine as long as the tires don't have any problems. If the tire has any out of round, scallops, blisters or such, it won't be caught.

Spin balancing will catch these problems.

Also with Equal, always use a source of dry air as moisture will cause the Equal to clump.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I recently had new tires installed and the dealer recommended equal. I went with his recommendation and did not like it at all. Sometimes they seemed pretty good and other times they seemed to vibrate/shake. I had the dealer take the equal out and computer balance the wheels and all is good.

As for the leaking valve stem issue, there are special valve stems with a screen in them that keeps the powder from getting to the valve. I believe these are a must when using equal.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Equal works with centrifical and rotational action. As the wheel rotates the granuals flow outward and forces itself to the low points thereby "balancing" the rotational action. Static fixed weights are 100% acurate when they are installed but do not account for tire wear as does the powdered type products.

Screened stems are required with any powdered product and will usually be marked with a colored ring on the outside.

Most tire people wil suggest that if and when you "air-up" you do not have the stem at the bottom postion or 6 o'clock. Try to stay between 9 and 3.

hope this helps.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I so not favor Equal powder, Dyna beads I can tolerate but still do not favor

Too many people have had equal put in a tire but they did not properly replace the valve stem. (or rather the core) the result was a leak from the valve

There are other reasons I do not favor the stuff either... But that said, I may be wrong on those.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

If you Google, check Dynabeads. You want the large ones, in I think what they call a 12pack. You throw the entire pack into the tire. The larger beads do not bother the valve stems, and last forever in the tire with no damage to the tire.

I'm using the Dynabeads now. I've never seen anything keep a tire running so smooth.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have been using Equal for 4 years now, I am on my 2nd set of tires. I am very happy with the results. My shop informed me most problems are a result of 2 things.

1. Failure to install the proper valve cores which results in air leaks.

2. Using too much bead lube when mounting the tires as it gets in the Equal and causes lumping.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I installed a set of Centramatic wheel balancers and I am extreemly satisfied, the ride is very smooth. I almost went the powder route but decided that I liked the idea of the balancers better.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Another satisfied Equal user here...had it since 2005. Tire shop just needs to know what they are doing in terms of install and proper stems.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Gary hows it going..Didn't work for me , but it did fine for my friend. Both from the same dealer..found a truck dealer and he spinned them and thats what I will do from now on...Jimmy
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote