Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Micro Minnie Wheel Size/Bolt Pattern

Hi all,

Looking to move up from 14" to 15" wheels so I can get some light truck tires on my trailer. Digging around here but I've not found a resource to tell me what the bolt pattern is on a 1706FB Micro Minnie. Any suggestions where to look or information?

Many thanks in advance,

Bob
Old 07-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't know, but there is some controversy over whether LT tires work well with tandem axle trailers. I'm pretty sure there's a thread here, but I have no idea what to search for. Something about the forces the tires go through when the trailer is going around a curve.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

5 X 4.5

You're welcome in advance.:-)
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
5 X 4.5

Indeed. Many thanks!
Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
2019 1706fb

Quote:
5 X 4.5

Related question - what is the bolt size and thread pitch?

Want to get some locking lug nuts.
SonofBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi SonofBert,

The lug nuts are ˝”-20 and if you are going to buy a locking one for each wheel it would not be a bad idea to replace the rest of the lug nuts if they are the steel ones with the “decorative cap” which may cause problems down the road getting them off.

I replaced ours with McGard premium lug nuts which I have had great luck with on other vehicles over the years. Yes, they are expensive but they hold up well. The best price, at the time, I found for the ones for our 2108DS was online at Summit Racing.

Brian
Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner View Post
Hi SonofBert,

The lug nuts are ˝”-20 and if you are going to buy a locking one for each wheel it would not be a bad idea to replace the rest of the lug nuts if they are the steel ones with the “decorative cap” which may cause problems down the road getting them off.

I replaced ours with McGard premium lug nuts which I have had great luck with on other vehicles over the years. Yes, they are expensive but they hold up well. The best price, at the time, I found for the ones for our 2108DS was online at Summit Racing.

Brian
Thanks! The stock lugnuts don't have the decorative cap, they're solid. I'm a fan of McGard locking lugnuts so I'll get the 24538 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...IaAjjBEALw_wcB

DO NOT buy this style Dorman, I was lucky to get them off a previous trailer the splines rounded so easily. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-712-228
Old 08-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofBert View Post
Thanks! The stock lugnuts don't have the decorative cap, they're solid. I'm a fan of McGard locking lugnuts so I'll get the 24538 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...IaAjjBEALw_wcB

DO NOT buy this style Dorman, I was lucky to get them off a previous trailer the splines rounded so easily. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-712-228
Installed the McGard locking lugnut set linked above. Has an extra lugnut (set of five) and the key. A cheap precaution and they come off easily. I've had the same style McGard on various vehicles and tire shops have never had a problem with them. If a tire shop can't wreck them I sure can't.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wait a minute. You people are worried that someone is going to steal the skinny, cheap Chinese made wheels off of your trailer?

REALLY?

I'd be more worried about your battery or solar panel. Things that are actually worth something.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner View Post
Hi SonofBert,

Brian
Thank you for that. I damaged one of the lug nuts just today and was going to be looking for a replacement.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'd be more worried about your battery or solar panel. Things that are actually worth something.
I do take my batteries and propane tanks when in storage, the former of which just to make keeping them charged easier. But I think you underestimate the threshold at which some low-life will steal something.

My brother once had his 1970s Honda Civic broken into to steal a cheap plastic flashlight. I mentioned the year because that model had high visibility to the inside and it was apparent that was the only thing in the car.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I do take my batteries and propane tanks when in storage, the former of which just to make keeping them charged easier. But I think you underestimate the threshold at which some low-life will steal something.

My brother once had his 1970s Honda Civic broken into to steal a cheap plastic flashlight. I mentioned the year because that model had high visibility to the inside and it was apparent that was the only thing in the car.
There is quite the difference in the effort required between popping a car window and jacking up and removing just one wheel from an RV. This "effort" (as well as the equipment involved) weeds out all but the most organized low life and this individual is not going to steal something that has a low reward for the effort required.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

While we are on the subject of theft I wonder how long it is going to take before the criminal element figures out the almost all RVs have a flat panel TVs in them and the bigger the rig the bigger the TV, It should be more far more lucrative than RV wheels
Old 08-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #14
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Wait a minute. You people are worried that someone is going to steal the skinny, cheap Chinese made wheels off of your trailer?

REALLY?

Haha, yes. The bolt pattern and the lugs fit many vehicles. As Roger Miller sang many years ago "And every lock that ain't locked when no one's around . . ."

I'll leave a trailer unattended out in the boonies (which is why I own offroadable trailers like the 1706fb) for 18+ hours often while 4wheeling. Simple, cheap precaution. Just buy quality locking lugnuts, don't buy ****** ones like those Dormans I linked above.

Batteries, I make them casual thief-proof with a cable or chain, same with the LP tanks and spare tire. The object is to deter the casual thief.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hi Goodspike,

You are welcome!

The McGard part number for the ten pack is 74043, I bought two packs and they fit and look great and McGard guarantees them for life not to chip, peel or rust. As I said previously I have always had good luck with their products over the years.

Brian
Old 08-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I ordered the 64000 for delivery today--I'm leaving Tuesday. They seem to be the same thing, but a four pack and not specifically stated for trailers. I only ordered the one pack, only wanting to change the one before leaving.

Do they seem to be the same to you? The only thing I could think would be different would be the taper of the part against the wheel, and it looks the same.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-31-2020, 01:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The only thing I could think would be different would be the taper of the part against the wheel, and it looks the same.
60° is the industry standard. You'll be okay.

I've seen 45° seats on race wheels but that is very rare.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Hi Goodspike,

According to the McGard catalogs the 64000 lug nuts that you ordered are the same as the "Trailer Lug Nuts" 74043, they are both regular cone seat, 1/2"-20 thread 13/16" hex and 1.5" long, the only difference is the packaging.

For automotive, the smaller packages are quantities of 4 or 8 since there are 4 wheels and the number required depending on number of studs will be divisible by 4. I believe their assumption was that most trailer applications are 1/2"-20 thread and either 1 or 2 axles with 5 studs per hub so they offered the "Trailer Lug Nuts" packaging of 10 so a person would not have to go to the regular catalog.

The price on your Amazon link is a good price even compared with the current 10 pack price on Summit Racing. The current 10 pack price on Amazon is about twice as much so you did well purchasing the 64000. Now you just have to buy 4 more packs and you will be set.

The original lug nuts on our trailer were a different hex size so be sure to have a 13/16" lug wrench in your vehicle / trailer for on the road.

Brian
Old 08-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks GaryS and RoadRunner. 13/16ths would actually be a more convenient size for me--and something I'm more likely to grab first.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #20
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Thanks GaryS and RoadRunner. 13/16ths would actually be a more convenient size for me--and something I'm more likely to grab first.
I carry a 4 way lug wrench. Plenty of versions available https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...YaAoR0EALw_wcB

The longer length versions of course provide better leverage. Mine is shorter and I slip a 16" section of steel pipe onto it which acts as a breaker bar.