Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2023, 04:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Starting generator with chassis battery, 2020 View

We have a 2020 View with hydraulic levelers, a Cummins Onan generator, and Lithium house batteries. While camping in the woods far from an electrical outlet, we ran our house batteries down too far and could not retract the levelers or move the slide. No problem, start the generator, right? The house batteries did not have enough left to turn over the generator starter.

Ok, plan "B" start the View and let the alternator charge the house batteries. After starting the View, I noted zero charge amperage going to the house batteries. I tried Park, Neutral, and even Drive with my foot firmly on the brake—still no charge to the house batteries.

The handy boost switch on prior models, which connects the chassis and house batteries in cases like this, seems to have been discontinued for this model year. So here we are in the deep woods, unable to move or charge the house batteries.

Out of bright ideas, we tried to start the generator again, using the reserve power on the house batteries, and on the third attempt, in which the starter made about a grudging 1/2 revolution, the generator caught and started. We could then charge the house batteries, retract the levelers, pull in the slide, and breathe a sigh of relief.

Has anyone found a way to hot wire the chassis battery to the starter on a Cummins Onan generator? This way, one could start the generator on the chassis battery if the house batteries are not up to the job.

On the somewhat bizarre side, after some testing, I found that simply cycling the parking brake (on/off/on) will allow the 2020 View alternator to start charging the house batteries with the engine running even in Park.

- John
Glide On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 06:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It is pretty common to miss a bit when we think we see something! I feel the brake pedal is not involved in the coach/chassis charging question as it is just a gizomo that should work automatic but seemed to do different after brake changes.
Gremlins have a way of trying to fool and I think the timing some way threw you off as there is no connecttion to the brake on these parts.
I might throw in some ideas on what you can do to try to sort the question OR in a bad case get the two jumpered together.
This is the drawing set which is involved with that section. We used to get a "mode solenoid" and it was a bit of trouble as the contacts arced and burned way too soon/ too often! Now we get a "battery isolation manager" that connect chassis and coach at the right times.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000164549.pdf
So they now use solid state gizmos which last longer but we can't see/hear them work, so we have to do more testing!

Click these snips to get a better view or go direct for the whole story?

Under the passenger seat you should find this area?
Click image for larger version

Name:	bim.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	186512

Note the disconnect relay that the switch operates when we push the battery disconnect switch. But the thing you need to find is kind of hidden to the left out of sight on this drawing!

This is the BIM and how it should work!
Click image for larger version

Name:	bim 1 copy.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	186513

You should have a big cable from the coach batteries that I marked in red on one big post of the BIM and a second calble going tot he disconnect relay. If that relay is closed to let power through, it should pass on through to a cable going to the generator starter solenoid to start it!
So you have at least those three connections to check and make sure they are clean and making good contact for the generator. Dirt is much more a problem than the relay failing so I look for the simple things first!

But when we push the boost switch or when we start the engine, there is ground on wire FM and 12volt on wire LR (blue marked wires?) to make the Bim connect cables I marked red and green together! Like the mode solenoids but solid state gizmos!

So if you find the coach batteries are not connecting to the chassis battery to charge, etc. this BIM is a place to check.

Before tearing the seat out, etc to get to things, I suggest doing a check first!

When it has all been shut down for a few hours, the two battery, coach and chassis, normally will be a bit different voltage.
If you note that voltage on each, then start the RV engine, you should see the chassis battery dip pretty big while cranking but then as the alternator starts working, that voltage will jump high. Maybe up to near 14 if you rev the engine?
Then check the coach battery and you should see near the same voltage as you rev up the engine---assuming the BIM is doing it's thing right!

OR When the engine is NOT running, if you watch the voltages on both battery sets, they should jump up and match pretty close if somebody is pushing the dash switch to connect them!

You "may" have something broken but the most common problem is dirt and corrosion on the cables, so you may have to chase the cable all the way back to the generator and where it connects there.

But if you REALLY are in trouble, one way to jumper around a bad BIM or such is to jumper across the two big lugs on it!

Some what simple but those gremlins do sneaky things!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you

Thank you for the guidance here. Very much appreciated.

I did a lot of testing on the parking brake reset as I could not believe this had any possible connection to the chassis battery charging, but it seems to.

Thanks again for the guidance. - John
Glide On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Normal operations of the

The lithionics battery that you have has a "reserve" switch/button.
When you ran down the batteries they were disconnected by the switch. This also disconnected them from being charged by the alternator.
When you used the reserve you reconnected the batteries and were able to pass the alternator charge to the house batteries and the generator.
This is how the BMS on these batteries works.
Jipper
2019 Navion J
with Lithionics batteries.
jipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, generator, view