Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2021, 11:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry No Sprinter Service Available?

700 miles from home our check engine light came on. When I couldn't figure it out I called a dealer in Denver. There was a 6 month wait to get it diagnosed.

6 months to get a new Mercedes Sprinter looked at? This is nuts. We called every dealer in Colorado and Utah. We got one appointment 9 weeks later.

Mercedes seemed unconcerned when I called to ask about it. If we breakdown and have to have it towed to a dealer we'd be stuck for a very long time.

Is this happening elsewhere?
dhodgesnvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

yes
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Unfortunately this is the case. There are other options. To find out the cause of the Check Engine light you can go to most national chain auto part stores, AutoZone, etc and they will attach a reader to the OBD port and give you some info for free (or you could buy a reader to use yourself).

Also Freightliner truck shops will sometimes work on Sprinters (both are Mercedes owned).

I suggest checking in over at https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php. They are a forum for all thing Sprinter and should be a big help.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar problem in June while in the Denver area. Left messages on all six MB dealers in the area. No call backs. Called our home dealer in Scarborough, ME, got an appt 3 months out. When we got home in early Aug we drove to the dealer and they were able to hook up their computer and diagnose it within 10 min. Fortunately, the problem could wait until our Oct appt so they cleared the CEL and we were on our way.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I wanted to have a small noise checked out on our 2021 22M and also have the oil changed, and a check for any outstanding recalls. We have a Ford heavy duty truck service center not far from us. It was a month wait. So even though it’s nowhere near as bad as the Sprinter, it’s still a longer wait than I would have thought. My local mechanic can do the non-warranty work, and he’s typically just a day or 2 for the next appointment.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My Sprinter van ( Winnebago ERA 170) is badged as a Dodge Ram.It was built when Daimler Chrysler was a company, about 10 years ago, but is 100% Mercedes Sprinter.

Some large Dodge dealers have a tech or 2 that are Sprinter certified.from this time frame and will work on Sprinters. Not ideal, but better than a 6 month wait.
ArtDeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Since the light can be anything from really big trouble or as simple as the gas cap not tight, I do recommend having a parts store do the quick check as a way to at least get some idea of the potential.
My last car had a cap that had to be tightened to clicking and my wife had trouble getting that in mind even though there was a note on the gas cap! When not tightened fully, it tends to cause too many fumes, so the light comes on!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You could buy this

We have a 2019 View 24V on a 2018 Sprinter 3500 chassis. I decided early on I was not going to be at the mercy of the Mercedes dealers. I bought an Autel Scanner MaxiCOM MK808 from Amazon. Yes, it is expensive, nearly $500.00, but I feel it was worth every penny. The Mercedes Sprinter seems to like to throw codes here and there for no apparent reason, at least this has been my experience. With the Autel Scanner I can quickly find out what is wrong, fix it myself, most of the time, reset the system and clear the codes, just like the dealer can do. The Autel does not mask the code, it clears it. It will do a complete system reset. You can change engine settings with it but I have not messed with any of that yet, probably won’t either. I had an SRS Airbag code and the Autel traced the problem to a broken wire under the driver’s seat. The Autel specifically told me where the broken wire was. I fixed the wire, reset the code, problem over. I go nowhere now without the Autel. It is also works on the cars I own.
RetiredUSCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We just had a Check Engine Light come on and I was able to clear the codes as it was not serious. Then the dreaded 10 starts remaining warning. Our local dealer is excellent but is booked for 3 weeks. Disappointing, but it seems everyone is busy and can't find people to fill positions. Last month when we called to have our first oil change done on our brand new Honda they said it would be 4 weeks!
ArtistsView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgesnvl View Post
700 miles from home our check engine light came on. When I couldn't figure it out I called a dealer in Denver. There was a 6 month wait to get it diagnosed.

6 months to get a new Mercedes Sprinter looked at? This is nuts. We called every dealer in Colorado and Utah. We got one appointment 9 weeks later.

Mercedes seemed unconcerned when I called to ask about it. If we breakdown and have to have it towed to a dealer we'd be stuck for a very long time.

Is this happening elsewhere?
Yes. We are in KS with a front brake issue and the MB Sprinter dealer in Wichita is booking at the end of Oct as is KC. We are lucky that we found as independent repair center that specializes in MB that will fix next week. MB is in a really bad situation with all the Sprinter chassis that have been sold to RV manufacturers and not thru MB dealers. By using MB Sprinter chassis that can not be worked on by Winnebago dealers customers have been left at the mercy of independent MB Sprinter dealers for service. And it is a disaster. The Wichita dealer out right asked me if I bought the unit from them as if that would make a difference. The Scottsdale Sprinter dealer even tried to get me to go out on the lot and look at the newest MB RV offerings as if it was better for me to buy new from them rather than wait for recalls to be performed. And no this does not apply to all car/truck dealers. In fact, when we pulled into Junction City, KS it was discovered that the front skid plate on our toad Ford Ranger was dangling down. I took it the next morning to the local Ford dealer (Valor Ford). No fuss just fit me in a very busy schedule came back with the need to order some missing parts that they would have the next day. And the next day they called me when the parts arrived and said to bring it over. It was fixed that afternoon and a free car wash was thrown in. All for a very reasonable price. So it can be done. We all need to keep the pressure on both MB and Winnebago because to travel long distances right now is inviting a short to long stay in a motel while waiting for an appointment just to have your MB looked at.
Steve1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a nice scanner but I haven't tried it on the Sprinter. I will try that tomorrow. It's already saved me big on diagnosing the Equinox we tow.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi all. It turned out to me my STUPID inverter. Both Kinverchs I bought were awful. The 3000W model couldn't even run the generator and eventually shorted completely.

I laid down the $ and got a 2000W Victron Inverter/Charger. So far it's been wonderful. I added the bluetooth module too.

I knew better that to go cheap. Bad Doc
Old 10-21-2021, 04:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I had a check engine light come on in my 2016 Sprinter related to a failed wheel speed sensor (triggers separate warning light also). I couldn't understand what the check engine light had to do with the wheel speed sensor as the owner's manual links a check engine light to the fuel or exhaust systems only, but that's what MB said was the issue. There was a recall for the wheel speed sensor problem, and that work did clear both warning lights. I had tried a couple of times to clear the check engine light myself using my iCarSoft OBD II reader, but it came back on each time I restarted the engine. I'm thankful that I did not get the engine start countdown!
Old 10-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurtle View Post
I had a check engine light come on in my 2016 Sprinter related to a failed wheel speed sensor (triggers separate warning light also). I couldn't understand what the check engine light had to do with the wheel speed sensor as the owner's manual links a check engine light to the fuel or exhaust systems only, but that's what MB said was the issue. There was a recall for the wheel speed sensor problem, and that work did clear both warning lights. I had tried a couple of times to clear the check engine light myself using my iCarSoft OBD II reader, but it came back on each time I restarted the engine. I'm thankful that I did not get the engine start countdown!
The check engine light is merely a warning to get it scanned, and should probably be called a "check ECM for codes" light, there are many different systems that can trigger it. Once the proper scanner is connected the tech will have the option of looking in all the various systems. There are also a great many codes that can set without triggering the CEL, that do not affect emissions or drivability.
The Mercedes service centers are very backed up do to the Authorized Emissions Modification being being done on thousands of Bluetec vehicles.

Tags
service