Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

On the road we use an APP called "RVParky" to find campgrounds. It does a good job.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:43 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Conclusion to Inquiry

Well we made it to Colorado. It was a small adventure as we did not need to be risking anything in the cold weather. We were supposed to leave the Monday after New Years, but found this (pics) when we woke up (we had heard about a little storm, but not a foot). Needless to say, we postponed our trip for a day, heard that the weather just 20 minutes West was AOK and headed out. After all of the advice, our plan was to have me stay in the RV with my dogs and use the electric to power an electric oil filled heater. My husband, the prince in the family stayed in a hotel. We did winterize ALL water lines. Our first night we stayed at a great Harvest Host/Boondockers Welcome place near Indy that is normally closed in the winter, but allowed us to park and "plug in". Heaven sent. When I picked up my husband around the corner, I ran in to clean up while he fed the pups. Night number 2 brought us to Salina KS, and about an hour from there it started to snow. The weather forecast was very cold and projected to be -18 with wind chill during the night. I tried to use "Roadtripper" and "OnTheWay" road trip weather apps to see the weather on the way, but neither showed the snow. So for a white knuckled 45 minutes we drove, with me in the back in a near panic. We made it safely the next day. getting to Denver late afternoon Thursday. I really appreciate all of your input. (oh the -18 night - we all stayed in a dog friendly hotel)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	356FA27A-1D7E-4613-BC18-568DBC07E905.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	181846  
MsCarrieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Glad to hear you made it!! it's always the things we overlooked more than what we expected that get us in trouble.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst and we often get by but with a few more grey hairs!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:32 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Think of the memories you've made! The only thing different we would have one is team drive in the rotten areas. Whether it's weather, construction or night driving. Never hurts to have a second set of eyes up front. Again, think of the memories.
paof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:21 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Wow! Happy to hear that you made it safely to your destination. Sounds like quite a drive!
Some trips are full of exciting memories, some others full of exciting adventures!
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

This made me think of our first "RV" trip in 1972, in December, from Dayton, OH to Sacramento, CA after I got out of the Air Force.

It was in a 1960's Ford Econoline E150 that I'd converted to a simple camper. We had a bed, propane heat (no fan), a propane stove, an icebox and a broken gas gauge. Our propane supply was a horizontal fork lift tank on a roof rack. We didn't know what shore power was, nor did we have a house battery. I was 26, my wife was 23 and my daughter was 2.

We made it as far as Indiana before an engine problem sidelined us in a motel for a day or two.

We spent Christmas in a rural, no services, campground in New Mexico with a Christmas tree made out of a tumbleweed. Christmas morning we woke up to find a friendly young bison in a corral outside our camp that made our day.

We hit a blizzard in Flagstaff but made it to an RV campground that was actually more of a parking lot in town next to a pizza parlor. Fortunately our propane heater worked like a champ. From there it was pretty clear sailing to Sacramento.

I marvel at that trip and the memories we have. After the Ford van, we had two successive VW "pop-tops", neither with shore power or house batteries. We never felt the need for them. Now it's batteries, solar, shore power and the works. Sometimes I long for the simpler times, but I'd need youth to go along with it.

Enjoy your memories.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your support and your stories. This is indeed a lovely community.
MsCarrieC is offline   Reply With Quote