Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2023, 11:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone put solar on a early 2000's Minnie?

If so, where did you run the panel wires and where did you put the batteries?
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has no one put solar on an early 2000's Minnie?
Old 04-24-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Team

How about giving more details. What year... exactly? What model... exactly?

What you you thinking about for a wire run? Many use the RV Fridge vent if your Minnie has one. Not all the new ones do anymore.

Winnebago has gone crazy with winnie, minnie, micro minnie, minnie winnie names and it really, really, really helps when posters include EXACT details.

PS. Look below this post, you'll see the year, model and floorplan of my motorhome. It shows on every post and I never need to remember to put it there because it's in the Signature of my Profile. You might consider adding such a Signature to your Profile.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2003 Minnie 31C. I am looking at having 4 100W panels on the roof coming down. The fridge vent sounds like a good idea since the batteries will be housed in the storage compartment on that side by the door. It is the same compartment that the breaker box is located.

The idea I think I have landed on, is to move the batteries to that compartment which is adjacent to the open air battery compartment where the FLA batteries currently exist. There are already wires going between those two areas and also up into the cabin. I just need to figure out how they currently are setup and see if I can use the existing conduit/grommits/or whatever for the new wires. Or if I need to cut holes and make new grommitted sections.

I was wondering if anyone with a model similiar to this has down the swith to Lithium and Solar so I can understand what I am doing. It all seemed so simple in principal.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:21 AM   #5
Site Team

In general, it's a personal journey for everyone. You can visit YouTube and look for solar setup for Class C videos. There are bound to be something similar.

You had all kinds of plans in earlier posts.

Some folks run wires between vent pipes when they can get into a space behind a wall. But not every Class C has such a space.

Here's one from RVing with Tito on YouTube. He does great DIY videos. He has a Class A now (for years he had a Class C - and there are videos of that). He ran this through the fridge vent.

So, it won't be exactly the same, but similar. You'll figure it out when you do it.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
I have a 2003 Minnie 31C.
It helps to know the exact name, not whatever you usually refer to your RV as.

See, people here will now be able to look up your RV's wiring diagrams. We can't do that without that exact info.

Here's a link to PDF files of all your RV's wiring diagrams:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...31c_wiring.htm

Here's all your 12v wiring diagrams:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_141164.pdf
Old 09-05-2023, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I added 4 200W Rich Solar panels to the roof of my 2004 Minnie 29B. Ran the wiring from the panels down the refrigerator vent and then under the chassis to the front storage compartment where the electronics live for the solar and DC-DC charger. On my unit, the original batteries were located under the entry step towards the center of the coach. I build 2 - 280aH lithium batteries and had the battery box expanded to hold them. Fit nicely, just a bit tight!
I have a 2000w inverter mounted under the refrigerator in the wiring cabinet. It was close to the batteries and had enough air flow to keep the heat under control.

Hope that helps.
keithd311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar