Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2018 View - Bird's Nest in Air Intake

Just for grins and info, yes, today DW and I were washing off the pollen from the View getting ready for a trip. As I leaned over to scrub the pollen from the front grill, black plastic part, I woke up the five baby birds snuggled in the air intake cavity behind the grill. Glad I found it before starting the rig!

Yes, a perfect nesting place for small birds. There is no grill or screen covering the air intake which goes directly to the air cleaner by the cleaner hose. OK, I finally got the grill removed completely and was able to clean out the mess. The nest was extended up into the hose itself from the opening behind the grill - wide open. A few smurf words and the shop vac got the remnants out and now I'm thinking about the fix. Possibly a piece of hardware cloth like a rabbit cage is made from with 1/4" squares, cut to fit and a few bends to screw it into the plastic outside the hole. I can just imagine the engine would not run very long with all that mess sucked into the air cleaner.

How about another owner looking at that intake to see if possibly I have lost a screen that Mother Benz had installed - please. Thanks!
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Lay a towel over it and close the hood to hold it while in storage. I park mine inside but can see how it would be a good bird home. Stainless wire screen would work well IMO.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3642
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I used hardware cloth to make a screen over the large air intake at the rear of my DP for exactly the same reason!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the replies! Our rig is under cover but not enclosed. We always have a bird nest inside our garage every Spring as well and it is completely enclosed obviously. When the door is opened the birds fly in and construct the nest. We are probably wearing out the opener getting cars in and out
The best deterrent there has been a bunch of rubber snakes scattered around the garage near where nests have been found but it scares the heck out of visitors. We live on a farm, lots of woods etc. and snakes.

One thing I found is a grill screen cover at Eurocampers. It's stated purpose is to keep out rocks and bugs while driving but it certainly will keep out the birds as well. Another option. I think the hardware cloth is probably functional to protect the air intake but that grill cover would be nice driving though love bugs.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
Just for grins and info, yes, today DW and I were washing off the pollen from the View getting ready for a trip. As I leaned over to scrub the pollen from the front grill, black plastic part, I woke up the five baby birds snuggled in the air intake cavity behind the grill. Glad I found it before starting the rig!

Yes, a perfect nesting place for small birds. There is no grill or screen covering the air intake which goes directly to the air cleaner by the cleaner hose. OK, I finally got the grill removed completely and was able to clean out the mess. The nest was extended up into the hose itself from the opening behind the grill - wide open. A few smurf words and the shop vac got the remnants out and now I'm thinking about the fix. Possibly a piece of hardware cloth like a rabbit cage is made from with 1/4" squares, cut to fit and a few bends to screw it into the plastic outside the hole. I can just imagine the engine would not run very long with all that mess sucked into the air cleaner.

How about another owner looking at that intake to see if possibly I have lost a screen that Mother Benz had installed - please. Thanks!
You may get a reply to this question/request if you start a new topic specific to that question.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Interestingly enough, I just had same issue, and found it by Dirty air filter message which was odd as I just had service. And it was a mess and no screen and nothing to prevent their return.
donasher is offline   Reply With Quote