Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide awning question

We have 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD which has 3 slides, all with slide awnings. Does anybody have a solution to keep rain water from ponding in the awnings? The two bigger awnings seem to hold a lake while the smaller one only holds a small pond after it rains.
keyshus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Since your slides are 6 years old, the material may have stretched, or a spring in the roller may have broken. If that so, you may just need to pay to have the material refershened or the springs tightened or replaced.

Keep in mind, this is a job you might want to leave to an RV Shop as the springs are very powerful and they can knock you off of your ladder.

There are work arounds - the most obvious and least desirable is to get on the roof with a broom and push the water off. Not a good option in my book. I've heard that some folks will use their leveling system to change the level of the coach to encourage the water to pour off with gravity. Still a bad choice since your slides are still out and you want the coach to be level.

The easiet work around is to retract the slide slowly and stopping part way in to give the roller a chance to tighten up as the slide retracts.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We have the same coach - experienced some pooling from the day of delivery on the two larger slide outs. WBGO adjusted the tension without success. When retracting we stop ~ twice to let the water run off.

Earlier this year we replaced the toppers ourselves with StoneVos material. Got some improvement but not a cure.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the insights. We are going to replace all 3 slide awnings. While looking at the fabric it looked like the stitching is what failed.
keyshus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If the fabric is in good shape an upholstering or boat top shop can restitch it with UV resistant thread. It's really a quick, less expensive job.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We don't have that problem but...
Once a couple of years back the couple camping next to us asked why we didn't have our toppers lashed down.
I sort of looked at him and asked "what?"
He tosses a line front to back over his slide toppers and pulls down a little, says it's to keep the water and leaves from collecting.

dick
Old 05-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
I’ve never done it...

I have seen several iterations of stuffers. I’ve seen blown up beach balls stuffed to where the topper has a peak instead of a valley. I also saw a pvc post thing a guy made that he slides in place after he sets up camp. Food for thought.
tnteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My rig is 13 years old and has original toppers on all three slides. The largest slide pools in the middle, same as keyshus. I found the easiest solution was a simple cardboard box. It is high enough, approx. 6", to create a high spot in the middle of the topper. I push it in place between the top of the slide and the awning using an extendable wash brush. I attach a nylon string to the box for quick removal. The box can be used as a storage container while on the road thereby not wasting precious storage space in my basement area. I only insert the box when I am going to be stationary for a week or more. I also have a red flag that I attach to the steering wheel to remind me to remove the box before retracting the slide. The two smaller slides still drain properly on their own. I also carry an extension ladder so I can reach anywhere on the RV. One last point; when the box is in place it tightens up the material so no strapping is necessary in a wind.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Since your slides are 6 years old, the material may have stretched, or a spring in the roller may have broken. If that so, you may just need to pay to have the material refershened or the springs tightened or replaced.

Keep in mind, this is a job you might want to leave to an RV Shop as the springs are very powerful and they can knock you off of your ladder.

There are work arounds - the most obvious and least desirable is to get on the roof with a broom and push the water off. Not a good option in my book. I've heard that some folks will use their leveling system to change the level of the coach to encourage the water to pour off with gravity. Still a bad choice since your slides are still out and you want the coach to be level.

The easiet work around is to retract the slide slowly and stopping part way in to give the roller a chance to tighten up as the slide retracts.
My 2018 Forza 38F has been doing this since day 1
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide