Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi all. I'm still in the process of shopping for a MH. *whew* ...seems like I've been researching motorhomes for years now!

Anyway, could somebody tell me if they dropped the electronic compass and the exterior (ambient) temperature readout in the 2007 Journey/Meridians?

I know they integrated a bunch of stuff into the display in the middle of the warning lamp console but when I took a test drive I didn't bother to check out just what that new display displays. I noticed that the two display boxes which have been located just above the radio and A/C vents, that have been in these models for quite a few years, have now disappeared in the new '07s.

Perhaps a better way to word my question is, can somebody list the functions of what that new display in the middle of the warning lamp console is showing for me please. I realize that it shows the odometer readings but what else? Are the outside temperature and compass readings now gone?

Thank you to anybody who can answer!
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi all. I'm still in the process of shopping for a MH. *whew* ...seems like I've been researching motorhomes for years now!

Anyway, could somebody tell me if they dropped the electronic compass and the exterior (ambient) temperature readout in the 2007 Journey/Meridians?

I know they integrated a bunch of stuff into the display in the middle of the warning lamp console but when I took a test drive I didn't bother to check out just what that new display displays. I noticed that the two display boxes which have been located just above the radio and A/C vents, that have been in these models for quite a few years, have now disappeared in the new '07s.

Perhaps a better way to word my question is, can somebody list the functions of what that new display in the middle of the warning lamp console is showing for me please. I realize that it shows the odometer readings but what else? Are the outside temperature and compass readings now gone?

Thank you to anybody who can answer!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

--'rocco,
Do not consider this anything other than a quick answer from a 2007 Meridian owner of less than a week. I surely do not know all of the options available for display but can say that I have found no reference to either compass heading or ambient temperature. The literature states that there are 9 categories that the driver can select from and only 3 of them can be viewed at one time. I know that they include at least 3 trip odos (trip, day, and leg) with distance, time, fuel, fuel economy, avg. speed and idle time. However, I have not yet become sophisticated enough to understand how to select(apply) them. Will take some play time for me to understand. Hope this at least anwers your primary question.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Oh thanks, Larry!

If you could find no reference to the compass and ambient temp readouts, then I have to assume that they did in fact do away with them.

I really like having both those functions in my cars so naturally I'd really like to see those in a motorhome too. I'm disappointed that they decided to do away with them.

I hope you like your new Meridian. I wanted the 36G too but I think I'm going to settle on a 34H because I'd want to be able to have a clear view of the TV in the bedroom while the slide is in.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond, Larry, thanx again!

--'rocco
Old 01-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I still see the compass/temperature readout just to the right of the Freightliner display in the dashboard picture in the 2007 Journey brochure, but I don't know whether that picture is accurate or not. 2007 Journey Brochure

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wow, Chris! ...you must be a detail person too. Yeah, I noticed that in the 2007 brochure also. But in actuality, they're both gone (both the Freightliner readout and the other display --compass, temperature?) in all the later-model 2007s. *cries out loud*

Thanks for posting!

--'rocco
Old 01-21-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Winnebago dropped the compass/temp module on the dash for 2007 (not sure of Itasca). Mine has in the central info display the ability to have temp/compass functionality, but when I click through with the joy stick, it tells me "compass/temp module not installed".

I called Freightliner, and at this point it is not available for aftermarket. The reason given was lame; anyone with a little technical knowledge could install it -- it was a module, wiring harness, and external sensor. It was sensitive to where it should be located.

Call Winnebago Customer service and ask about this module. If enough people ask, I would guess it would be made available.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info', Don.

I might write to Winnebago myself also. Good adivce.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that those two functions are quite important to me. As I've said, I have them in my cars now and have had them in past cars so I've become accustomed to having them in my vehicles.

I want them in my motorhome!

Will it be a deal breaker? ...hmmm, I don't know, maybe.

--'rocco
Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

'rocco --

I agree with you. This is sure a feature, which may not be a deal breaker, sure is nice to have. So the more of us who ask for it / comment on the lack of it, maybe they will begin making it standard fare again.

I would very much like to add it to my coach.

Let us know how you make out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like they are trying to save a few dollars. I guess I should be happy ours is an '06.

-----
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Give Lichtsinn Motors a call and ask for "RV parts". They are a dealer right down the street from the Winnie factory. Many of us use them for parts because they are very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I THINK I recently received a flyer from them advertising a sale on the very instrument you're talking about. It should be very easy to install. Here's a link to their web site.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Tom, for the tip on Lichtsinn. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Okay, now I've got to ask a pretty stupid question. Can somebody --perhaps Tom or knut--who owns a Journey/Meridian other than an '07, tell me the exact functions the Freightliner Display shows?

And what does the display box right beside it to its right show? ...I'm assuming that's the ambient temperature and the compass, correct? Does it show anything else?

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Rather than try to list the info display functions, go here and click on the RV operator's manual. I browsed through it and it gives all the new display functions and goes on to give the pre 2007 displays. Trust me, the 2007 version gives a ton more information. Although it looks like you may need a college level course to operate it...

As for the one to the right - yes, it's outside temp and compass heading only. It's an off-the-shelf item that can be bought and installed in any vehicle.

Wish I was shopping for an '07, but that will have to wait a few more years! Maybe I'll make you jealous in '09.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Good grief, Tom! *Whew* It's gonna take me awhile to go through all of that! Thanks very much for the Freightliner manual. It may take me awhile but I want to sink my teeth into that. It looks like a lot of good information. I really appreciate it!

--'rocco
Old 01-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I just clicked on the video tour, and still pics on the 2007 Journey of a unit in stock at Lazy Days, and they clearly show the compass/outside temp display unit for all to see. So I would expect that to be included if I were to buy that motorhome.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bill! Thank you for the link! Although that video was fun to watch, it turns out to be a generic scene with some outdated information. I'm sure they're showing a 2006 model or one of the very early 2007s. It's definitely not of the one shown on the corresponding web page.

Another thing that they're showing on the video that is no longer available on the 2007s is the "Smart Wheel." Disappointingly, you can't get that even as an option anymore. It's also not showing the new readout in the middle of the warning lamp console.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.Bill:
...So I would expect that to be included if I were to buy that motorhome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm, well, it's definitely not going to be included because it's not even the same unit they're showing! *hmph!* ...isn't that deceptive advertising??!

So in conclusion: I guess I just need to buy a 2006 somewhere!

Thanks again, Bill!

--'rocco
Old 01-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Capt Bill --

There is no compass module on your link on the still pictures. 2 AC vents, with the radio below.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Below is a link to a PDF with an image of the Journey dash from the '06 brochure. The picture is pretty grainy, but you can see the Medallion Driver Info Center on the left and the Temp/Compass screen on the right.

2006 Journey Dash

-----
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

For 2007 it was discontinued.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the link, Knut.

Yeah, that gives me a close-up of what those two displays look like.

I'm assuming that the functions that the Medalillion Display Center used to show are now integrated into the display that appears in the middle of the warning lamp console in the 2007s.

If the ambient temperature and compass display is a generic item, I wonder if anybody can give me a price and how much labor is involved to install it. I don't know if I want to tackle the job myself or not.

Thanks.

--'rocco