Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
TEO
Winnebago Camper

About the only thing I miss about mt '98 Safari is the full body paint. That motorhome looked great all the time. Wax it once a year and it was so easy to maintain and required little effort to wash. The fiberglass top and sides of the Journey are looking bad, as in flat and chalky, but I don't want to try waxing or anything because I want to paint it and the wax will make the paint prep that much more difficult.

The lower part is painted, and painted very well, looking brand new. Here is my thought for a relatively cheap paint job. The front cap, rear cap, and door are painted some shade of white. I was thinking of removing the decals and prep and painting only the fiberglass section of the sides, masking off the painted bottom. Then, at a later date I could design a paint scheme of swirls or whatever and paint over the new white.

The lower portion, including all the compartment doors would not have to be touched.

Any comments?

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
TEO
Winnebago Camper

About the only thing I miss about mt '98 Safari is the full body paint. That motorhome looked great all the time. Wax it once a year and it was so easy to maintain and required little effort to wash. The fiberglass top and sides of the Journey are looking bad, as in flat and chalky, but I don't want to try waxing or anything because I want to paint it and the wax will make the paint prep that much more difficult.

The lower part is painted, and painted very well, looking brand new. Here is my thought for a relatively cheap paint job. The front cap, rear cap, and door are painted some shade of white. I was thinking of removing the decals and prep and painting only the fiberglass section of the sides, masking off the painted bottom. Then, at a later date I could design a paint scheme of swirls or whatever and paint over the new white.

The lower portion, including all the compartment doors would not have to be touched.

Any comments?

Paul

FMCA F98905
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Teo
I did something very similar on my 98 Holiday Rambler I just sold.
I had the front and rear fiberglass end caps painted over the portion that did not have the factory paint. Painted front and rear graphics were also painted on at that time,
The sidewalls on mine was aluminum, so it had the factory baked on paint that aluminum sides come with and did not need painting.
It was beautiful. At the same time I had all yellowing plastic painted, vent covers etc.
I did have a professional paint shop do mine as I am not a painter.
From the results I had I would say it is very doable .
Use a good quality paint and clear coat. Quite frankly I would do the graphics at the same time .
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sound like a good plan. I realize the cost of painting is up there, but would it be better to go ahead and do your scheme at the same time? That way you would be all done and not have to come back later and the price of material only goes up. Just a thought
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
TEO
Winnebago Camper

This may sound crazy, but I plan on doing this myself. I have the equipment and have painted my car before with great results. Painting the sides white would protect the fiberglass from further deterioration and I can take my time designing and applying the graphics.

Removing the decals and preping the the fiberglass is grunt work. The painting requires some thought and some skill. Artisticly, I'm bankrupt, so I expect to mimic designs I see on other motorhomes. I hope that when I see a coach that has just the look I'd like, I'll have my camera ready.

Paul

FMCA F98905
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

That's the way to do it. With the paint product we have now days sure make it easier. If mine need painting I would do it myself. I too have been behind the old spray gun. Lot cheaper than having it done. Good luck. There are alot of design out there to choose from.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Teo:

I'd love to paint mine and if I did get up the nerve to do it, I'd do what you plan. That lower accent is Dupont Imron and it is great stuff. I would keep the color scheme simple. I don't think the front and rear caps are painted...that is white gelcoat over fiberglass.

When I worked in a body shop part time years ago, the clear coats were not being used. We used single stage enamel like Dupont Centari. I have had no experience spraying clear but plan to try this summer on my boat trailer.

All I need is the time and a barn or building to do the work.

Anyway, when you do it, take some pics for us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Teo
Are you positive the front and rear end caps are painted?
I have only had my 2002 Journey DL a couple months now, same as yours and I thought it was just a Gel-coat finish on the non painted part.
I polished the front cap about 3 weeks ago and it did not seem to be painted. But sure could be wrong.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2003 journey DL and one side has become really ugly and i do plan on painting it my self laying the paint down is easy its the water sanding and buffing will take time but it will be well worth the savings...
rtoms is offline   Reply With Quote