Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

For anyone who might need to remove and replace a front leveler on a Journey, thought the following might be helpful.

My right front jack was leaking quite a bit. Ordered reman jack from HWH, $175 with shipping. Removal was fairly easy. I raised the jacks, aired up the suspension and turned the wheels to the left. I was able to sit upright behind the right wheel. You must disconnect the sensor that indicates jack position. Then use a 5/8" open end wrench to loosen the hydraulic fitting.

While in the sitting position, I was able to stretch the springs by pushing down on the jack foot with both hands and move the jack foot off to the side. Then you can remove the springs and jack foot.
At the bottom of the jack, there are four 9/16" bolts holding two plates.

Once removed, the plates come off and the jack will drop out of the frame. My rig is parked on a gravel pad, so I was able to dig out a little trench so the jack would drop down enough to free it. If you are parked on a hard surface, you will likely need to jack up the rig a bit to get sufficient clearance.
The jack will have about 2/3 quart of oil in it so beware if you lay it down or turn it upside down.
You will need to remove the sensor from the center of the jack to re-use and the straight fitting (the reman jack comes with a T fitting).

The new jack is also filled with oil so make sure to keep it upright when removing the center plug for installation of the sensor. As noted, you will need to remove the T adaptor and re-install your straight fitting. Use one of the caps from the T fitting on the straight fitting to keep the oil from leaking out until you get the jack back on the rig.

Installing the new jack is fairly easy...just reverse the removal steps. This took me about 30 minutes....could have done it in less time if I weren't so old and fat!
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

For anyone who might need to remove and replace a front leveler on a Journey, thought the following might be helpful.

My right front jack was leaking quite a bit. Ordered reman jack from HWH, $175 with shipping. Removal was fairly easy. I raised the jacks, aired up the suspension and turned the wheels to the left. I was able to sit upright behind the right wheel. You must disconnect the sensor that indicates jack position. Then use a 5/8" open end wrench to loosen the hydraulic fitting.

While in the sitting position, I was able to stretch the springs by pushing down on the jack foot with both hands and move the jack foot off to the side. Then you can remove the springs and jack foot.
At the bottom of the jack, there are four 9/16" bolts holding two plates.

Once removed, the plates come off and the jack will drop out of the frame. My rig is parked on a gravel pad, so I was able to dig out a little trench so the jack would drop down enough to free it. If you are parked on a hard surface, you will likely need to jack up the rig a bit to get sufficient clearance.
The jack will have about 2/3 quart of oil in it so beware if you lay it down or turn it upside down.
You will need to remove the sensor from the center of the jack to re-use and the straight fitting (the reman jack comes with a T fitting).

The new jack is also filled with oil so make sure to keep it upright when removing the center plug for installation of the sensor. As noted, you will need to remove the T adaptor and re-install your straight fitting. Use one of the caps from the T fitting on the straight fitting to keep the oil from leaking out until you get the jack back on the rig.

Installing the new jack is fairly easy...just reverse the removal steps. This took me about 30 minutes....could have done it in less time if I weren't so old and fat!
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Good job! Thanks for the good info.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

smlranger: Great post, concise. All of us DIY will eventually be able to use your post and instructions.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Very nice write-up and the pictures are outstanding.

Post's like this is the reason this is such a great forum. Very helpful, thanks for the info.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to do it for all of us.

Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Gary;

Great post & pictures. Your experience level with Winnebago & HWH continues to improve. It may not be to long before Winni will want to move you to Forest City to be a Do It Yourself Customer Adviser

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Great write up and pictures. I am looking forward to you doing the rear jack...before I have to do it

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveG:
Great write up and pictures. I am looking forward to you doing the rear jack...before I have to do it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took a peek at the rear jacks just to assess how difficult R & R might be. Just as most anything located on the southern end of a northbound DP, doesn't look nearly as easy as the fronts.