Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey 39K Slide Failure

When it rains it pours. We just had a week delay for another mechanical problem in Albuquerque, now that we are finally in our intended area of operation we have a slide hydraulic failure.

A hydraulic line in the vicinity of the aft slide actuator had failed and is spraying oil. The slides are all extended.

Does anyone know if I were to push the problem slide in and secure it, would the other slides work normally? Or, would I continue to blow fluid out the leak?
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Assuming your slides are HWH then the problem slide would only operate when that particular slide's solenoids were energized. The short answer is fluid will only leak when the problem slide is operated and should not leak when other hydraulic items are used.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks KIX. There is a separate solenoid for each slide, so I was hoping that what you say is correct. My concern was that when another slide was energized the fluid would flow through the leak and be lost. Luckily, the leak is not massive and I hope to immobilize the slide and work towards Forest City for a reliable repair.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If you can get at the leaking hose, there is a number on it. With that call HWH and they will send a replacement hose to you. Happened twice on my 02 Journey and one of them in Alaska. The reservoir doesn't hold much fluid and you can refill with the appropriate fluid. On the 02 it was automatic transmission fluid.
Mike
loonie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Don't know it this will help, but when my HWH blew a solenoid seal under the step, I was able to retract all of the slides by feeding in fluid through a funnel while it sprayed fluid. It took almost a gallon but I got the slides in. If you don't have a slide lock, you can get a couple of 2X4s cut at Lowe's to put in the top to hold it in. Mine moved out when I turned the first corner.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Thanks KIX. There is a separate solenoid for each slide, so I was hoping that what you say is correct. My concern was that when another slide was energized the fluid would flow through the leak and be lost. Luckily, the leak is not massive and I hope to immobilize the slide and work towards Forest City for a reliable repair.
You actually have two solenoids for each slide......one extend and one retract. I am guessing the extend solenoid hose is the leaking one. If my theory is correct you should be able to retract the slide and not lose too much fluid in the process. The largest volume of leakage should happen on extend.

Another post advised you about the number on the offending hose for replacement. Don't be tempted to try to re-swage(sp?) to repair.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have the slide retracted. We powered it back in place while the tech watched for source of leak. It appears to be coming from a connection on the extend circuit since leaking was minimal while pulling it in.

No parts on hand in Durango, or anywhere near, and access requires disassembly of galley cabinetry. We will fabricate slide locks tomorrow and continue with our short term plans. We will try to schedule a stop in Forest City, and in the meantime be a two slide coach.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

SVTotem........check your PM
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Got it. Thanks KIX.

Tags
journey, slide