Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Floor help - or am I crazy?

Hello all. I’ve got a new-to-me 2002 Journey DL 36GD. Had it checked by a mechanic stem-to-stern and it’s in great shape with only 80k miles.

The inside was a disaster though. No water damage but half-torn out and old tired furniture/carpet.

The Reno has been going well but we hit a snag. We want to level the floor and put vinyl laminate through the full coach. The 2002 Journey has a stone-like cement galley floor that extends back through the shower/vanity area to the bedroom. This means there’s a “sunken” area in front where the living room slideout goes in and out. This terraced effect is nice but impractical; I’m afraid I’m going to trip on it.

Our first attempt at leveling the floor was to put cement board. In the sunken part to even it out. The slideout will go in and out over the cement board but I hear scraping and don’t want to do damage.

My next thought is figuring out how to remove the fake stone floor to lower the galley/bathroom to the level of the sunken floor — in effect leveling down to the plywood subfloor throughout.

Has anyone else attempted removing the fake stone? Suggestions on how to do it? Other thoughts on how to eliminate the terraced effect that I haven’t thought of?
ChadVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Wait... generally on older diesel pushers the floor in the bathroom is a step up to accommodate the diesel engine. If that's what you are speaking of you are not going to be able to get rid of that step up.

If you are talking about something else then perhaps a photo would help describe the issue.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for responding. The sunken part isn't near the engine. It was merely aesthetic. What we ended up doing is chiseling out the stone part (turns out it was ceramic tile... which is surprising that Winnebago chose something that heavy for flooring) and by so doing got everything down even on the sub-floor.

That actually leads me to my next question; i'll post it separately.
ChadVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I also have a 2002 Journey DL 36GD and I don't have a 'sunken' area in the LR. The stone section I can see is at the same level as the carpet and the carpet sort of covers it a little where it butts together, and I'd bet if I pulled up the carpet, the floor would be very close to the same level. I've removed the couch in favor of a future 'Theater' so I can see the entire seam in the carpet and the floor between the slide section and the main section is definitely level the entire length.

Any chance you could post a picture or two?

So, I'm curious of what's going on with yours? Something built wrong at the factory? Or when you said 'merely aesthetic' does that mean it only 'looked' like it was sunken?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote