Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

trading smart or crazy?

We are trading our 2009 Itasca Suncruiser 32H for a 2006 Itasca Meridian 36G. Main reason is for the diesel, chasis, brakes..... love the extra room but are giving up a few things too. But nothing we couldn't add eventually! Mileage is the same, 30 hours on the genset. Going from a year old coach to a 4 year old coach......are we crazy?
WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You're not crazy. Relax and enjoy it !!!!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
TW
Winnebago Camper

Trading

Sounds like a very good idea

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is the trade already a "done deal", or are you just contemplating doing it?

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Not a done deal but will be by Monday afternoon. So far we have heard nothing but good things about this coach, you own one how do you like it?
Old 10-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I love the pulling power, which was the main reason we traded our 32' Southwind w/454 Chev engine, since we travel from Okla to the mountains a couple times a year pulling a Jeep Wrangler. But the repairs and maintenance after it reached 4-5 years of age are astronomical. At about that time the air dryer must be replaced, the engine thermostats and coolant changed (if they weren't done at 3 years), the transmission fluid and filters replaced at 4 years (assuming it does have Transyand), tires are reaching the 5-6 year age for replacement, the valves may be at the point to need adjusting (30,000-40,000 miles if a Cat engine), etc.
As has been stated in previous Posts, when trading for a used DP be sure you have $2-$4,000 extra handy for all the necessary maintenance items the prior owner may not have done or have left good records.
As far as the ride and brakes, I can't say I'm overly impressed as compared to my previous two gassers. But if you need the pulling power the diesel is the only way to go, you can't beat them.
But I guess you've already driven the DP and know the comparison to your gasser so good luck on your final decision.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

we have the Winnebago version of that model, and really enjoy the layout. we have the Cummins 300, small but it still has plenty of power thru the mountains.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We have the Winnebago equivalent, although it is older....2002. We had a gasser and absolutely love the diesel....great power, smoother ride, exhaust brake.

However, as previously noted, enter into DP ownership with eyes wide open in terms of maintenance costs. I bought this coach used in 2005 and the previous owner kept meticulous service records which I added to my own records. At this point in the life of the coach, maintenance and repair costs have averaged $1,500 per year. Now that includes $2,300 for a new set of tires. That number includes routine chassis service and things that neeeded repair on the coach itself. I have done much of the service and repairs myself so, if I paid someone to do it all, the number would be higher. As I get older, I am more likely to pay others to do the maintenance and repairs that I had previously done.

I've had boats and there is no question that owning a motorhome, especially a DP, is the most expensive hobby I've ever had.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Have the same model coach but with the 300 Cummins and love it. Bought it new and have no regrets. Have not had one single problem with ours.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2007 Journey 36G and love it. It does cost more for maintenance but I do not think it is all that bad. The parts do cost more and on my Adventurer I could do the oil change and basic tune up stuff myself. To me the ride and other comforts far outweigh the cost. I have the Cat 350 which is plenty of power for my heavy foot. Mine was a year old when I bought it and I had what Freightliner then called the M2 service done on it for well under $1000. This year I again had the M2 done there which included changing the CAC for ab $600. I agree with Thudman and TW that you aren't crazy and enjoy it.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Going from a year old coach to a 4 year old coach......are we crazy?
I know a guy who has had three or maybe 4 motorhomes ...and each "new" one was a few years older than the one he was replacing ...but each time he "upgraded" in terms of quality, features, and livability!! Enjoy the adventure
Old 10-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

You done good. Don't look back

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
Have the same model coach but with the 300 Cummins and love it. Bought it new and have no regrets. Have not had one single problem with ours.
Ours will be the same...you must have the SE.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

All the maintenance doesn't have to be done right away..Spread it out some doing the most important things first. Hopefully you will have good service records..
I went from gas to diesel, back to gas and now back to diesel. Do like Smallranger has done, buy it, keep it, maintain it ,enjoy it. Diesel is the way to go for ride and comfort, power etc. Like Geo vs Caddy. Good Luck and Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Go for it...I also went from gas to diesel...The only extra maintenance costs for me is the air system (air dryer filter replacement) and changing fuel filters more often which I do myself...Gas or diesel you still have to grease the chassis, change tires, change fluids etc...Yep my engine takes 22 qts of oil but you only have to change it at 10,000 miles or so...2 or 3 to 1 as opposed to a gasser..What you'll find is each specific model, gas or diesel has its own set of problems...That's where this forum comes in...Enjoy
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

TTSuncruiser: Yes ours is the SE. We tow a Ford Edge (4400pds) and have never had a problem. On very steep grades, you will slow down some but your fuel milage will make up for it. If we keep it right at 63mph we average 9.5. Keep a very close eye on all the caulking such as on the roof, roof edges, and side moldings. Ours is always garaged only lives outside in Fl. 2months of the year and I have had to recaulk everything except around all the roof vents, skylights and antenna. It has been the best coach I have ever owned. Oh, the full body paint is excellent. Wish you good luck with yours.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Heh...great thread!

We just "pulled the trigger" on a 2003 Ultimate Freedom, with 12,400 miles. It's in incredible condition, and a HUGE upgrade for us from the 1997 Holiday Rambler we bought a couple of years ago.

Thinking back, we were probably overly-cautious back then, as it was our first venture in the Diesel pusher realm. But the price was very reasonable, so we did it. Compared to the gas Class C we had owned for 8 years prior, it's quite an upgrade. For instance, everyone says to go drive one (DP) to see what you've been missing...well, that only works to a certain degree. Until you can take the thing on a few trips and put a couple thousand miles on it, you really won't get a good feeling for the difference.

Interestingly, we were considering a 2005 Winnebago Journey 40 foot coach prior to deciding on this UF unit. It was in great shape, but 2000 miles away from us. I guess that didn't bother me as much as what all my friends told me--that I would be looking to upgrade in 2-3 years, so I should go "bigger" now. I guess it's the whole "Buy your last coach, first" thing. But I will say that this UF coach is quite a bit more money--to the tune of about $25K! So it's a bit scary, to say the least. But we are going to purchase a one-year Extended Service Plan for about $1300, just for the piece of mind. We may not elect to renew it next year, but we'll see...

So I can definitely appreciate that "uneasy" feeling, LOL.

TB
tcbetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

It's a "thing" own a diesel and go up to the top of the ring - lookin down at all of us who are wowed by extravagance. I just couldn't justify the cost and maintenance -
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

It's not a done deal yet...they are putting new tires on it. We pretty much had a straight across trade worked out till the finance guy got a hold of it. LOL He's finding out how stubborn I am. Interestingly enough my coach that was in for several little things that they weren't going to get to for a couple weeks will be done tomorrow. I will give them a couple days to figure it out, otherwise I'm taking the Suncruiser to the caves for the winter. I know there will be another DP right around the corner just waiting for us. Thanks for all the great info, I will keep you posted.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

A year ago we traded our 2008 Voyage 32H for a new 2009 Tour. We've got a lot more room and power but there are still things we miss about the Voyage. Right now, we're spending a full week in a motel while our coach is in Forest City having Winnebago fix some major defects. Seems our coach bypassed "quality control" on its way out of the factory.