Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2023, 12:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Boondoking without solar or Lithium

Ok, newbie Class A, 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F "Dry camping/Boondocking" question. Without solar panels, but a 5500 Onan generator, can I stay five nights at a non-hookup location? Two new 6v batteries for the Coach. How much do I need to run the generator without depleting the batteries with the refrigerator being the biggest draw? Should I stay less than five days? This will be our first attempt of staying anywhere without any hookups and the only time this year. Really cannot justify spending the funds for solar. Yet.

Yes, there is a inverter in the Coach.

Thanks
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreplug View Post
Ok, newbie Class A, 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F "Dry camping/Boondocking" question. Without solar panels, but a 5500 Onan generator, can I stay five nights at a non-hookup location? Two new 6v batteries for the Coach. How much do I need to run the generator without depleting the batteries with the refrigerator being the biggest draw? Should I stay less than five days? This will be our first attempt of staying anywhere without any hookups and the only time this year. Really cannot justify spending the funds for solar. Yet.

Yes, there is a inverter in the Coach.

Thanks
If you have 2x 230amp golf cart batteries,you have 230 amp hours of power. You’ll be able to use 80% of that, or about 170 amp hrs before Peukert takes effect and you start to loose voltage and amperage sufficient to run appliances. If you have an absorption fridge, you’re in good shape. If you have a compressor fridge, you’ll use at least 50 amphrs/day to run it. You won’t be able to go more than two days without replenishing amp hours to the batteries; either with shore power, a generator, or a pv solar array. If you can’t budget for a solar array yet, the most economical means to recharge your batteries is with a generator. A Suncruiser, I believe has an onboard Onan gasoline fired generator. Use it to recharge your batteries. It will take a long time if you have discharged to below 50% of your battery capacity. But if you recharge daily for 2 hours during approved generator run times, and keep your state of charge above 50%, you can go for 5 days comfortably.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Do you have a residential 110v fridge that runs off an inverter when there is no shore power? Or do you have an RV style absorption fridge that will run off of Propane?

If you have the residential fridge you will have to charge close to 4 hours a day. Every day.

If you have the RV Fridge that runs on propane then you'll probably be fine running the generator an hour in the morning and an hour or two in the late afternoon.

If you think you may do this kind of trip more than every once and a while you could consider ordering a portable solar "suitcase" of 200 to 400 watts with a built in charge controller. This may save you an hour of generator run time a day.

NOTE: If you run the microwave ALWAYS start the generator even if you have an inverter that can handle it. AND... if you run the propane heater a lot every night you may need more generator time to recharge.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

First, Thanks creativepart for setting me straight on starting a new thread. Makes sense. I do have an absorption fridge that runs off propane. Hope that we should not have to run the generator more than 2-4 hours a day max. Staying at Rincon Parkway near Ventura, CA. This will be our first try at no hookups after nearly 35 years. Had a tent before that then onto TT and 5ers.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It's not often mentioned but one of the most effective things you can do is to conserve your power usage. Think "camping" not "RVing", but that doesn't mean you have to rough it. Enjoy the outdoors as much as you can (weather permitting), turn off lights when you're not using them, etc. Running your generator while running your microwave has already been mentioned, but the same goes for other high wattage appliances like coffee makers, hair dryers, etc.

Having an absorption refrigerator makes all the difference in the world.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreplug View Post
First, Thanks creativepart for setting me straight on starting a new thread. Makes sense. I do have an absorption fridge that runs off propane. Hope that we should not have to run the generator more than 2-4 hours a day max. Staying at Rincon Parkway near Ventura, CA. This will be our first try at no hookups after nearly 35 years. Had a tent before that then onto TT and 5ers.
Hey Fyreplug,
I think your Suncruiser has sufficient battery to boondock in Ventura for a couple of days without using your onboard generator. If you must fire it up for a couple of hours, no hoard, no foul. Have fun.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Your generator may have a auto start that you program when your batteries get to a certain voltage level / % .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

You will have no problem boondocking without solar. I have done it with the same setup you have for 4 days with no issues and could have went longer if I had larger tanks. I did run my generator two hours each morning and 1 hour befor bed.
Chuck
LuckyChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well, we have decided to not do the boondocking at Rincon Parkway. If you look at their web site it has a security warning about theft. Not to leave anything out and if you do, lock it up from being stolen. That didn't work for an individual I know who had his generator stolen next to his 5th wheel. I personally do not wish to camp like that nor should anyone else need to worry about those who love to steal from others.
Camping/RVing should be about enjoying the outdoors and God's beauty. Not worrying about what might be stolen.

Blessings to all.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for your input
Old 02-15-2023, 07:56 PM   #11
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Just battery power? What about water?

I read this thinking yup that sounds right. But, my wife is a miser when it comes to managing water and it’s HUGE. If you can’t dump the grey you’re going to be in trouble. So I run two golf cart batteries, two 100watt solar panels and ?? Gallons of water. We can go 7 days plus. Never gone past that but water has always been our nemesis.