Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A/C turns off quickly.

I ruled out frozen as it came on this morning
I now know it does the same thing, on for a min or so, then off when it is on auto or high low fan

I have it down to the fan now. I hear it humming after the air went off. I know it is the fan as when i turned the air to "off" the humming stopped coming from the air unit

So now, where does this leave me? Is it a capacitor or should I replace the whole fan unit?

thanks for the help!
Old 09-24-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
I ruled out frozen as it came on this morning
I now know it does the same thing, on for a min or so, then off when it is on auto or high low fan

I have it down to the fan now. I hear it humming after the air went off. I know it is the fan as when i turned the air to "off" the humming stopped coming from the air unit

So now, where does this leave me? Is it a capacitor or should I replace the whole fan unit?

thanks for the help!
The capacitor is a easy fix. In the above I wrote I didn't see that as a problem but with your new information I do.

Take the cover off the unit. Start it up and see if the fan stops while you observe. If it does try giving the fan a spin to see if it starts to spin again. I think it will for a bit. Proof the starter cap is defective and not the motor.
Get the model from the label on the unit when you have the cover off. This will be the info you need to get the correct starter capacitor. I think I got mine from Amazon a couple of years ago.
The location of the cap is under the cover on the right side of the unit, if yours is the same as mine. This is where the evaporator pump is located.

One thing I forgot to mention in my bragging post (). When I got up this morning the coach was nice and toasty. I had the schedule set for 72* at 7AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! Will head home and give this a try!
Old 09-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Moderator’s Note:

This thread was created by moving two posts out of an unrelated thread. Hopefully this will provide more help to the OP. But parts of the reply may be out of place as a result.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It is almost certainly the capacitor or the fan itself. As noted start with replacing the capacitor. Any generic capacitor will work as long as it has approximately the same micro farads (mfds).

When you first turn on the unit the compressor starts, but because the fan does not run, the freon builds up heat and causes the compressor to shut down. Classic no fan symptoms.

David
Old 09-25-2021, 04:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Update 9/25

Tried turning the blades, they spin fine, but, the motor does not cut back on. Snagged a picture of the info on the unit model 47073A79 it is a coleman ceiling assembly 8530 9530. It also appears I need a bracket as the one up there is rusted. I tried to find the model listed above, no luck yet, but going at it again today. Ours is apparently the low profile

will keep you posted. thanks for the input so far, helped alot!!
Old 09-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
Site Team

Call Coleman Mach with that 47073A79 model number and they may be able to give you a part number for that motor.

I can’t find that model anywhere but Coleman Mach has changed model numbers on older units.

I don’t think the other number is important, it is probably two different style numbers for inside ceiling parts - 8530 is one style and 9530 another. Your unit can use either. It probably says “Any” before the two numbers separated by commas.

Fan motors are replaceable and I’ve seen prices quoted around $140.

It’s a huge hassle but some people have had good results removing the unit and taking it to an A/C shop or tech for repair. Some have even been lucky enough to find an independent A/C tech to agree to climb up on the roof and repair it in place.

Coleman Mach has recently raised their prices on these units. One failed on my RV two years ago and cost $1200 to replace. When that one failed in August this year I saw prices of $1,700 not including installation. Luckily, mine had 45-days of warranty left and it was replaced for free.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
Tried turning the blades, they spin fine, but, the motor does not cut back on. Snagged a picture of the info on the unit model 47073A79 it is a coleman ceiling assembly 8530 9530. It also appears I need a bracket as the one up there is rusted. I tried to find the model listed above, no luck yet, but going at it again today. Ours is apparently the low profile

will keep you posted. thanks for the input so far, helped alot!!
Before you change the motor try this.
Turn the circuit breaker off for both units.
Gain access to the start capacitors.
Put a mark (a dot of tape) on the start capacitors in the bad unit.
Move the capacitor from the good unit to the bad one.
Note of caution ⚠️. Don't touch the terminals with bare fingers. The discharge will hurt 😢.
Once the working capacitor is installed Turn the power back on for that unit only.
Now see if it works.
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Narrowed it down to the inside fan motor. No air is blowing in the coach. I finally had to get a very nice RV repair man to come look at it. He thinks I will be up and running on Tuesday. For now, the back unit that I may have used 3 times in all, is cooling! Thankful for that and the cooler nites where I am.

Yes, my quote on the whole unit, and it was not a coleman was 2000. Said no colemans available. Hoping the inside motor does the trick. Will let you know!

Thank you for all the helpful hints ya'll gave me!