Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2024, 01:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2016 31BE Sunstar Slideout issue

Hi. Have a Winnie Sunstar 2016 31BE with a full wall slide. Had to change main battery and now slide out wont work. Motor kicks in for about 1 second and stops. Any suggestions?
huggypack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are several potential problems but since it tries, we might be able to say it is not in the controls or wiring. does it appear to be going out reasonably straight so that we can rule out binding for the time being?

Starting and then stopping can sound very much like a weak battery, so some questions on that may help. Do you start the Rv engine before trying to run out the slide. That is one way to help assure there is plenty of power to last and be strong enough.
This is often highly recommended as having the engine running should tie not only the coach and chassis batteries together but also the power from the engine alternator is online to back up the battery power.

If you have a meter on hand. it may be time to verify the coach batteries are good as well as fully charged. New batteries are not always a guarantee of them being good!
Beyond those two ideas, I might suggest checking the way the batteries are connected as that might also happen at times.
The two coach batteries connected positive to positive and negative to negative?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:38 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

First, do you have the engine running while putting the slides in or out? Also, depending on the production run, it might have the slim rack system. Take a look for how to synchronize the motors. Certain systems can be synced by holding the slide “in” button for several seconds and the this can help
Old 03-19-2024, 08:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2018 Vista 31BE with the Slim Rack slide out system.

The instructions very clearly state the leveling jacks should be deployed and the engine should be running prior to activating the slide out.

I also find that my slide out button needs to be pressed TWICE. We don’t know why. But the first press simply makes an audible click and the second press activates the slide.
Jim_SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_SB View Post

The instructions very clearly state the leveling jacks should be deployed and the engine should be running prior to activating the slide out.

I also find that my slide out button needs to be pressed TWICE. We don’t know why. But the first press simply makes an audible click and the second press activates the slide.
But those hints only work if we read the book and that leaves many of us confused as it seems so difficult!
In this case it is as you say and it does say to have the engine running but it also has the troubleshooting section, how to reset the controller, and manual operation, etc. so maybe the book is a good place to look for info!

I've bought RV that were five years old and the manual was still sealed in a plastic bag! I used to wonder how they ever figured it out??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_SB View Post

Mine was like that as well. One click to say “hey, wake up” and the other started the process.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have 2017 Sunstar 29ve, my switch does that too. I feel better now.
2017Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout