Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2013 TourQD

We are completing our purchase of this coach and I wanted to know what other owners think about the provided GPS system. We have used the Garmin 465T trucker GPS for several years and love it. What are the thoughts on the provided GPS in the new Tour. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I too use the 465 after reviewing the manual on the built in GPS i threw in the towel and have never used it. I am looking at the new Garmin Dezl 760, it gets great reviews.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have not purchased the built in GPS for any of my vehicles (volvo, Grand Caravan, Ford truck, Winnebego 36M) stand alone GPS are less $ and more flexible.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2011 Itasca 42QD. Essentially same nav system as yours but you'd have some newer features as far as as I can tell looking at the online update site. It's a little "klunky" to get used to setting destinations and especially way points but once you get used to it not bad. You can puzzle thru setting destinations without reading the manual. It's annoying when you don't take the instructed turns, it does not recalculate and "snap" onto a new route fast enough and sits there nagging you to turn around for quite some time. That said it works and we use it. In practice we set our end point for each day and pretty much leave it at that. Is it as easy as Google maps/nav? No way, but it has proven to be pretty accurate in our 19K miles traveled so far.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Interesting post. I just bought a 2013 Journey 42e. We pick it up Tuesday in NC and head towards Leesburg FL that same day. We will have our Garmin with us also. I guess I will learn on the fly and setup the Garmin as a backup.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd View Post
We are completing our purchase of this coach and I wanted to know what other owners think about the provided GPS system. We have used the Garmin 465T trucker GPS for several years and love it. What are the thoughts on the provided GPS in the new Tour. Thanks in advance.
We also used the Garmin previously. I am assuming you are getting the infotainment system which provides the navigation. We have only used it a couple of times, but we do like it. It is user friendly and the screen is easy to read.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd View Post
I'm not really impressed with ANY in dash units. This is because of map update difficulties. Garmin upgrades it's maps 4 times a year. We use a Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7710. It also gets map updates numerous times a year. In Console Units ??? How often are they upgraded and at what cost? I know Toyota only updates our Prius maps EVERY 2 YEARS. We never got an update notice on our in-Dash unit on our fleetwood Discovery we owned for two years. I will HOPE that Sony is better than that and informs us it has updated maps, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Once they put the unit in the vehicle, there is ZERO upside to the manufacturer to update the maps - the $200 dollars for the in-dash system isn't high enough or important enough to pressure them to service it. With the Garvin and rand McNally after markets - updates are what keeps people returning to their brands (because the maps are always as up-to-date as possible).

Jim
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

So far I like the Nav in our Ellipse. It is kinda cumbersome to use, but has worked fine. We drove through Los Angeles twice and I really like how it has arrows to show you what lane you need to be in. I wish I could set the routes to avoid u-turns, but it does not seem to do that. I will probably use my old Garmin too. I like how I can plan trips on the computer and then download to the Garmin.
We sure to enjoy our Ellipse 42QD
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

in the very near future the company that sells the GPS in the Winnebago products will be using the Rand McNally software and mapping program from the 7720. they will have a upgrade available for current owners to switch to the new programming. have no idea on cost or how. it is to happen sometime this spring/summer.

bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone know what the R value of the Tour walls, ceiling and floor are?
FlaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We use a Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7720, which works really great. I like it because it has the camp ground listings. The Nav system in our new Coach works ok but is not real user freindly.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

for those you have the optional builtin GPS/Radio on the new Tours, what are some of the other pros you get from the stock radio. that is an expensive option at about $2K on the retail sticker. i was thinking if we order one if it is worth it or not.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper View Post
We use a Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7720, which works really great. I like it because it has the camp ground listings. The Nav system in our new Coach works ok but is not real user freindly.
Les
Ours has the Sirius/XM satellite radio also. I enjoy listening to FoxNews and you can do that on Sirius while driving. I can have the radio on AND the navigation on at the same time on the primary display AND have the rear cam display shunted onto the infotainment center unit for constant monitoring. The in-dash iPod/iPhone plug in is also nice. They should have made it so that it powers the units also however. With my iPhone on Bluetooth the unit also can answer calls and automatically turns down the volume on the radio.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
Ours has the Sirius/XM satellite radio also. I enjoy listening to FoxNews and you can do that on Sirius while driving. I can have the radio on AND the navigation on at the same time on the primary display AND have the rear cam display shunted onto the infotainment center unit for constant monitoring. The in-dash iPod/iPhone plug in is also nice. They should have made it so that it powers the units also however. With my iPhone on Bluetooth the unit also can answer calls and automatically turns down the volume on the radio.
Except for Fox News (it's Sirius/XM Classic Vinyl listening in our rig) pretty much the way we use it as well. Radio on, nav on the big (primary) screen and rear view on the smaller screen. Bluetooth to answer the phone patched thru the system. No extra monitors, or GPS units scattered about. The Tour/Ellipse has a very sloping dash, pretty hard to mount extraneous equipment up there, particularly something removable to get it out of the hazard zone of dogs laying on dash when we are parked!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote