Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2008 Itasca Latitude 39W spare tire

Does anyone with a MH like ours carry a spare tire in one of the storage bays? I want to buy a spare, but I am not sure it would fit in the bay. Costco sells one for $467.00 including tax here in Arizona. Thanks, Joe
Old 04-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check out this link for both tire and wheel mounts:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/unde...unt-52237.html

If your Itasca freightliner chasis is similar to my 04 winnebago journey 34h (freightliner chasis) then this link may work for you.

jim & debbie, 04 winnebago journey + Suzuki SX4 toad
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I checked the post out, but being disabled does not allow me to fool around under the coach. Other than that, it is a nice idea. If I could hire this fellow to come to Arizona and install it... Thanks, Joe
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mine is under the bed. Previous owner wanted to have a spare and put it there. And, I sleep better. Its just the tire, not a whole wheel assymbly.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Mine is under the bed. Previous owner wanted to have a spare and put it there. And, I sleep better. Its just the tire, not a whole wheel assymbly.
I haven't looked under the bed, but my manual says that the 37G has under-bed storage and the 39W doesn't. We have the optional king bed in ours so I should take a look under it. I'll post what I find. Joe
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

No place for a spare tire with the '08 Itasca Latitude 39W???

I read the post that someone keeps a spare tire under their bed in the MH. I checked out this possibility with our coach over the weekend. The 39W, that we have, doesn’t have under-bed storage. The 37 foot model does…go figure. Since we have the king bed in ours, I thought it might have storage under the bed. I found out that the manual is correct; there is no under-bed storage in the 39W. Then I thought about the storage bays. The storage bay which is called pass-thru is NOT, with the exception of a very small area above the three tank enclosure. No tire would fit there. The next idea was to store a tire upright in the bay, but I would be really surprised if it would fit. Under the coach is not for me (disabled) unless someone else did it. Anyone that I call will not fabricate under-coach storage. There is no ready made apparatus for our coach that I am aware of. I am hoping that someone with a coach like ours has an answer to storing a spare. Joe
Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hello azloafer,

Here is the answer to your original question: yes, a spare tire will fit into one of the storage bays of my 04 journey 34h, but I cannot say for sure about your coach, but maybe this will help. See attached photo. The tire size is 255/80 R22.5 RV tire. The tire weighs about 80lbs. It would have to be well secured with straps to prevent it from breaking open the compartment door.
Hope this helps.
jim & debbie, 04 winnebago journey, 34h
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	3942  
Old 05-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
Hello azloafer,

Here is the answer to your original question: yes, a spare tire will fit into one of the storage bays of my 04 journey 34h, but I cannot say for sure about your coach, but maybe this will help. See attached photo. The tire size is 255/80 R22.5 RV tire. The tire weighs about 80lbs. It would have to be well secured with straps to prevent it from breaking open the compartment door.
Hope this helps.
jim & debbie, 04 winnebago journey, 34h
I'll bet I could do the same thing and have it on an angle in the bay like you do. Thanks for the photo. What do you secure the straps to on your coach? Joe
Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I actually use an under chasis tire mount. I just happen to have my tire removed and checked the fit into the compartment just for you, since this was easy for me to do. Therefore, I dont actually have safety straps. You would have to improvise this.

jim & debbie, 04 journey
Old 05-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone with the "08 Itasca Latitude 39W taken the...

Has anyone with the 2008 Latitude Diesel Pusher 39W actually taken the bed apart and looked to see if there is enough room for a spare tire? I found that the bed platform is screwed down. The brochure says no storage in the 39W. What can be in there that is not in the shorter coach? If I get curious enough I'll have to get my screwdriver out, but I'm guessing another owner has already done that and can enlighten me. Joe
Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Has anyone with the 2008 Latitude Diesel Pusher 39W actually taken the bed apart and looked to see if there is enough room for a spare tire? I found that the bed platform is screwed down. The brochure says no storage in the 39W. What can be in there that is not in the shorter coach? If I get curious enough I'll have to get my screwdriver out, but I'm guessing another owner has already done that and can enlighten me. Joe

The bed is hinged at the back and can be raised for access to the pipes an wire underneath and also to engine access panels on the floor (you have to prop it up with a 2x4 about 5 or 6 feet long. But there is no room under there for your tire. My gas pusher is a 39w so the coach and bed etc on top of the chassis is the same as yours. I put my spare tire under the coach in front of rear axle hanging by straps. I had to first extend the lp gas pipes a little ( about an inch) then I got an inner tube for the tire to keep it clean inside and to keep the shape from being distorted by my strapes and I wraped the tire w. the stretchy plastic wrap on a spool and hung it between the frame rails with straps. If you can get someone to do it for you then the guy who comes to change the tire can cut the straps and drop the tire for the tire change. Mine has been there for 8,000 miles and 9 months and is still clean and tight. Good Luck. Greg
Old 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I have the Gas Pusher but I bet it is the same construction. I thought there must be a lot of wasted storage space under that bed. Well I found out different when the wife decided she wanted a Queen size bed and not a King size. I took all of the screws out and discovered an elaborate metal frame work that supports the bed. I wish I would have taken pictures. I did get the platform cut down and the Queen mattress installed. We also have a "night stand" with a nice drawer and cabinet and a lot more room on that side of the bed.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to gbs2320 and wthomas1 for your help with our storage problem. You saved me a job and I appreciate that.

The only possible place left, besides underneath the coach, is a storage bay if it will fit in upright or on an angle. The bays on our coach are not "real pass-thrus." I'll have to do some measuring. Thanks again, Joe