Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher
 
AngusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
2008 Latitude 39W questions

We are love the floor plan of the 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Lucky for us there are 2 that suit our needs - so the question is Gas -vs- Diesel.
Basement air if cared for should last how long before major expenses start to occur.
Any specific areas that I should be looking at for problems that a newbie would be able to spot before we hire an inspector? Any things he/she needs to pay special attention to?

I have searched and have read several threads about this model. Including finding additional information about the power chip for the gas. We will begin by bringing our toad - Flex and then at some point adding the HD Ultra - so know this we may just invest in a trailer (will be reading about those) TTL trailer weight over 6K lbs.

Thank you for any assistance.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Olathe Kansas
Posts: 300
I really appreciated our base air in our Itasca Meridian 36.
__________________
Jim & Pat
2018 Vesta 30T
Olathe, Kansas
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
edgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
We are love the floor plan of the 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Lucky for us there are 2 that suit our needs - so the question is Gas -vs- Diesel.
Basement air if cared for should last how long before major expenses start to occur.
Any specific areas that I should be looking at for problems that a newbie would be able to spot before we hire an inspector? Any things he/she needs to pay special attention to?

I have searched and have read several threads about this model. Including finding additional information about the power chip for the gas. We will begin by bringing our toad - Flex and then at some point adding the HD Ultra - so know this we may just invest in a trailer (will be reading about those) TTL trailer weight over 6K lbs.

Thank you for any assistance.
As you apparently already know, the coach was built on either the Workhorse R-26 (UFO) gas pusher chassis OR on the FCCC straight rail DP chassis (not sure about the specs on it). The Gasser provides a GVWR of 26,000 and a 30,000 GCVWR. Therefore, I suggest you determine what those numbers are for the Diesel and make your decision accordingly because of your plans to eventually tow / haul considerable weight.

To be clear, I'm a huge fan of the UFO but I recognize it has limitations, and "chipping" the engine is not going to address them.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Cousin Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 122
We have had an an Adventurer (Ford), a Suncruiser (Workhorse) and now a Journey. I test drove a UFO and liked it but the price over a gas was too much for the benefits, to me.
Also usually it's the transmission that limits the tow capabilities not the engine power. The UFO has steel springs while the Freightliner has air suspension. If there isn't a BIG price difference, I would go with the diesel. If the was a big difference and I could afford it I'd go with the diesel. We loved the two gasssers we owned but the diesel is way better and costs more to own.
__________________
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2017 Entegra Aspire RBQ & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise
 
edgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We have had an an Adventurer (Ford), a Suncruiser (Workhorse) and now a Journey. I test drove a UFO and liked it but the price over a gas was too much for the benefits, to me. ......................
The UFO is gas powered. They never actually produced the diesel options promised in the original brochures.
Ed
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
Cousin Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 122
The Destination was available on a UFO and a Freightliner XC chassis. They produced both.
__________________
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2017 Entegra Aspire RBQ & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise
 
edgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
The Destination was available on a UFO and a Freightliner XC chassis. They produced both.
Yes, I already posted that fact in post #3 above. My confusion is about your post which I quoted that implies the UFO you test drove was a diesel.
I simply tried to state the UFO was never a diesel.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Full time
Posts: 22
test drove both. found the diesel worth the cost. going down the blue ridge mtns put it in 3rd set the engine brake and never touched the brakes on a 35 mph switch back road. it stayed at 35. the air bags absorb the bumps. towing the diesel has more torque. btw bought the diesel. very happy
Dennis just my opinion
stuck in first is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W spare tire azloafer Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 12 05-10-2010 07:04 PM
2008 Itasca Latitude??? Tom N Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 10 03-27-2007 10:54 AM
2008 Winnebago Destination and the 2008 Itasca Latitude DriVer Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 26 12-09-2006 06:04 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×