Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2022, 05:47 AM   #1
2022 Winnebago Sunstar 32

Will TVs only run on AC?

We just got a Winnebago Sunstar 32M. Been doing system checks and found out the Televisions do not work when the generator is on. I know they worked at the dealers location when on AC (50amp) when we went thru the tour of the unit. Can find nothing in the owner manuals that say they will only work with AC.

In my previous RV the TVs would work off generator. Anyone had previous experience? Would like to use if we ever Boondock. Do I need to tweek something?

Thanks for any assist
dbest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You've left us guessing as we don't know which year and model you have!
But generally the TV will work off generator, so some questions may help.
Do the other AC outlets work off the generator?
If yes, there may be a problem with that one specifc outlet that feeds the TV but if NO, then it may be abreaker directly on the generator which has trippedor been left in the wrong position.
Some checking needed but that breaker can be overlooked very easily as it is often just inside the cover but hidden down in the "brushy "dust cover things!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:57 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi dbest1, the 32M is a great floorplan. If was a tough choice for us between the 32M and the 35U that we finally purchased.

Yes, your TVs should definitely work while running on the generator. When you say they don't work, I assume you mean that they don't even power on. If they do power on but only show a static filled display that is a different issue. In post #2 above Richard has some good tips - as he always does!

If none of your electrical outlets work, it could be the breaker on the generator (as Richard mentioned) or your main Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) or your main breaker. If some of your outlets work, it could be the TV breaker or the Inverter transfer switch.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thought to check for more info on your profile and found it is 2022 RV! Big help as we can then look at the drawings of how your RV is wired!

This is your 110AC drawing to show how it gets from point a to b:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000204041.pdf

Many find these confusing so I did some markup to show things that seem important to check. Click this to get a better picture or go to the original above.

First make sure the plug on your cord has been plugged into the outlet from the Generator! Big one and easy to forget! You DO NOT have an auto transfer but what I call a "manual transfer" which is good and bad! One is that it takes you remembering to plug the cord in the box but it also is very easy to fix that type transfer---once we get the idea!

Then check the microwave as an easy way to tell AC is getting into and past the breaker box?

If power to micro but not to TV, step back and check the marked breakers at the box and cycle them off/on to make sure they are fully right.

The inverter is easy to confuse us as it does two things. When not turned on, it should just pass power through from the cord and breakers to the TV, etc.
When no power plugged in and the inverter is turned ON, it uses battery power to make AC for some "limited" use of tV, etc. The problem being that it quickly runs the batteries down, so be aware of the limits of running it too long! However a look at it to see if there are any breakers, switches, etc on it that need changed.

However if you've gotten to that point and find power on the other outlets along that string after the inverter have power but not the one for a TV, one might assume that the wiring at theone outlet needs a look???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator AC copy.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	182939  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
2022 Winnebago Sunstar 32

Thanks for your help. The generator was turned off to the coach. I turned it on and everything works.
dbest1 is offline   Reply With Quote