Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinscorp View Post
I finally got over to the storage facility to try to solve this problem and did receive the following wiring diagram from freightliner.
Attachment 77123
None of the relays under the front cab above the generator are labelled and I havnt a clue where the neutral start item may be.
Any help would be appreciated.
John
Most of mine are labelled on the cover but I'd pull all of them one at a time and clean them up with wire brush etc. If it is one of them then that should do it.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Will do that for sure Eric, it's frustrating that nothing is labelled.
Golfinscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinscorp View Post
Will do that for sure Eric, it's frustrating that nothing is labelled.
Your manual might have the fuse box location map. Mine does although at least one is different from the actual fuse location.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

In my engine compartment there is a relay/ fuse box , right hand side in the picture below.
With an ignition fuse and neutral sense relays, Diagram labels it VIM-V if memory serves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	209
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	77173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	77174  

Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Skip, will look for this when I get back into town and can go over to the storage facility. I think I am going to change out the starter solenoid anyway, maybe the ignition also. Hopefully this will solve the problem, if not, I guess I will have to pay the 'experts' to diagnose for me. Will let you all know how it goes.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Up and running again

Let me thank all for the advice and pointers, especially Skip and Eric, I sure learned a lot about my rig during this process.
I also learned that not all help and advice from manufacturers is either correct or complete the first, or even second time of asking.
I spent many hours going over the wiring diagrams supplied by Freightliner (remember I am electrically challenged} trying to track down the items in the ignition circuit and then a number of hours trying to figure out where on the coach these items were located. Neither Freightliner nor Winnebago were able to locate the neutral start switch on my rig and to date I have still not found it. They did suggest locations but they proved to be wrong.
I researched the current part numbers for the starter solenoid and the ignition switch so that when I did speak to Freightliner I would have some idea of what I needed.
I ended up buying both from the local freightliner dealer and decided to replace just the solenoid to begin with. I asked about hookup of the solenoid and was told that the hot wire from the battery could go on either large terminal and the cable to the started motor on the other.
The ignition wire could go on either small terminaI they said.
(My original solenoid was hooked up with just the three wires and the fourth wire, the ground went to the chassis frame.)
I removed the old solenoid and immediately installed the new solenoid exactly as the old one was wired.
We tried to start the coach but with no success. I then tested the ignition switch once again and confirmed that it did have full battery power at the batt terminal and did indeed switch full battery power to the ignition wire terminal. So back to the drawing board and the internet and the manufacturers, trying to track down what else could cause the problem other than the neutral safety or the voltage drop I had between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. (3v approx)
I spoke to Freightliner again and confirmed that I had installed the new starter solenoid correctly.
I decided to research my new Trombetta solenoid and on one website noticed there were two installation diagrams for THE SAME Solenoid, one for a grounded solenoid and one for an ungrounded solenoid. The new solenoid I bought has no indication which type it was, so I called a Trombetta supplier and gave him my part number, he said I had an ungrounded solenoid and should use the second small terminal for my ground. I also asked, what is the minimum voltage required to activate (make) the solenoid. He didnt know for sure but guessed first at 12v then at 6v later in the conversation.
Today I went to the storage facility and rewired the solenoid as per an ungrounded solenoid, STARTING PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Sorry for the long diatribe, this has been a frustrating exercise with a successful conclusion, I hope my telling the story will help others who,like me, are not electrical geniuses.
Thanks again to all who helped and advised me, I guess we can now close this thread.
Best regards from a very happy John.