Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Satellite Dishes

I am an avid researcher, especially when the "thing" I'm looking for is over $100, I know I'm a cheapskate, but I'm not rich so I RESEARCH! Have downsized from a 40' Newmar to a Winnie Forza 34T All other rigs (fivers and MHs) had a dish on the roof and they worked fine, except when in a highly wooded state park type facility, which is how we have started camping a lot more these days. So, have researched portable dishes. Have done weeks of research and read reviews on every portable dis on the market, and boiled my decision to a Dish Playmaker or Tailgater. Don't need a dual, single is fine. Will add a DVR to tape shows. Have checked prices everywhere, including Camping World and Amazon, and will probably go with the former since I get an extra 5% discount for being retired military, albeit for accessories, Amazon is cheaper.
Now I'd like to hear from someone that has either of the two and let me know your thoughts, pros, and cons. Don't want to hear about other types that would merely confuse the issue. I am going to buy one the two I mentioned, and at my ripe age (81), there won't be another one down the road LOL. Would love to hear from experience with either of them
Thank you and Semper Fi, Jim
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Semper Fi Marine. Well you got a couple of years on me, 78 here. Ok so I have used and now have both the playmaker, mounted on the roof and a tailgater for when the playmaker is blocked.

I use a 211z receiver, but a Wally would be the way to go it’s faster in the setup process, so I’m told. I bought mine through eBay both used and works great. Even the receiver. You can also get them direct from Dish but the price is higher than anywhere I have found.

I have been pleased with the reliability of the units, the tailgater banging around in a storage bay, take it out hook it up and there it is.

Google the manual and I would do the playmaker and the Wally I think you will like it. Get to where you are going, do the setup, tell it where you are and in less than 10 minutes you are watching satellite tv.

When you call dish ask as soon as you get a human ask for the Outdoors unit, otherwise they won’t know what you are talking about.

Semper Fi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FC96B24-D4BD-4FF2-BE85-BF619F7010AA.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	182281   Click image for larger version

Name:	7EBC8687-5238-416F-9741-461A2C44FBB3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	182282  

Name:	CEB75C02-7FCF-4269-83F8-90B4E5284EFE.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	182283  
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'll be 81 in July, does that count?

Sorry, i'm not supposed to post about "The Other One."

Semper Fi.
1960-1984
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'll be 81 in July, does that count?

Sorry, I'm not supposed to post about "The Other One."

Semper Fi.
1960-1984

LOL, yes becoming 81 in July surely counts. I will right behind you at 82. And yes, don;t want to hear about any of the other ones, done my research, read all the reviews, looked into wallet and the two mentioned are what I want, so thanks for not trying to confuse the issue. LOL
Old 03-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Semper Fi Marine. Well you got a couple of years on me, 78 here. Ok so I have used and now have both the playmaker, mounted on the roof and a tailgater for when the playmaker is blocked.

I use a 211z receiver, but a Wally would be the way to go it’s faster in the setup process, so I’m told. I bought mine through eBay both used and works great. Even the receiver. You can also get them direct from Dish but the price is higher than anywhere I have found.

I have been pleased with the reliability of the units, the tailgater banging around in a storage bay, take it out hook it up and there it is.

Google the manual and I would do the playmaker and the Wally I think you will like it. Get to where you are going, do the setup, tell it where you are and in less than 10 minutes you are watching satellite tv.

When you call dish ask as soon as you get a human ask for the Outdoors unit, otherwise they won’t know what you are talking about.

Semper Fi
Thanks Master Guns, that surely helps.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Most welcome.
Picture is me posting wreaths across America at the Veterans Cemetery in Bloomfield for the Marines, each service was represented, I’m pretty active in the Marine Corps League and the Military Order of the Devil Dogs.

Semper Fi
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A0A46602-E376-4EFB-822C-7F7BB3A86761.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	182284  
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bought on eBay

Just got a KING DTP4950 DISH Tailgater Pro Bundle - Premium Portable/Roof Mountable Satellite TV Antenna and DISH Wally HD Receiver on embay for
$276.37, tax, shipping and all. My winning bid was 221.50. So we shall see. Not an electronic Guru, so may have to come if I have trouble setting it up. But a done deal. Amazon sell the rig with Wally and all for $449 .99. This one was used for six months, seller is 100% rated, so I hope (and pray) I did goog
Semper and thanks for all you help; Jim
Old 03-19-2022, 10:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Now that you have what you need. I went with the Carryout by Winegard. So there!
Old 03-20-2022, 06:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Now that you have what you need. I went with the Carryout by Winegard. So there!
Good, hope you like it as much as I will like mine. So there! LOL
Old 03-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I did, I did!

=========

I need to tell y'all a story. Didn't have a roof top satellite on my RV so I purchased an open face antenna and tripod. Set it up several times with much ado.

Last time I tried setting it up I knew the camp ground was alternating sites when people came in and the sites were very narrow. I set the tripod and antenna up in the tracks of the site next door. Seriously, I spent more than two hours trying to get any satellite locked in. I was hot, sweaty, and tired.

The heck with it. I went inside to cool off and have a cool one. As I'm sitting there in my nice cool recliner I look out the window and it is dusk. Oh oh! Just in case the office assigned someone to the spot next door I had better move the antenna. I wasn't going to fool with it in the dark.

I went outside, pulled the stakes out of the ground (I had done a good job), picked the whole thing up and set it down behind the RV. I put 1 stake in the ground and went inside. I wasn't going to fool with it anymore that evening.

Inside I turned on the TV and had all three satellites....go figure.

Next day I bought the Carryout. Now remember, back when you were in training pants in the USMC they didn't have Playmates and all the other fancy DISH's they have today. The Carryout was state of the art. It served me well for over 10 years. It might still work, it's in the shed

In 2017 I lost my 2008 Winne to Hurricane Harvey. Long story but over 50 inches of rain fell in the area it was parked. It was totaled.

My present MH has the Traveler on the roof. Now I just push a button and technology does the rest.

Semper Fi!
Old 03-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

we use Dish Anywhere and therefore link off of our home unit. It is free of obstructions and all that we need is a decent internet connection. So much cheaper than a rig installed dish
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite