Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2020, 11:11 PM   #1
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Onan or replace it with a Honda and what...

I’ve read a couple similar posts but not really what I’d be curious about. I have a sightseer 29r that has a Onan on the rear passenger side. Same side we sit under the awning grrrrr. I bought an aluminum pipe to redirect the exhaust but it doesn’t do much for the noise. I’ve been curious while reading other posts about replacing the Onan with a Honda. Shouldn't be too hard to mount the Honda and Repipe in the gas.

Has anyone thought about or done this?

Thanks in advance. If I don’t reply it’s because we are just leaving for 8-10 days. I’ll reply when we return .
Old 09-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That's why we had 650 watts of solar and lithium batteries on our 2006 Sightseer. Didn't run the air conditioner, but everything else worked. I really dislike using generators.

About gas for the Honda, I don't know if it will pull the fuel all the way from the RV's gas tank. I have read about people having a boat outboard motor gas tank near the generator for fuel. I don't know the details though.

A 2000 watt generally won't run the air condition w/o modifications to the air conditioner though.

I would be concerned about all the dirt and water splashing up on the Honda. Gets pretty messy behind the rear tires.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Team

If you care nothing for resale value rip out that Onan and replace it with whatever suits you. Most just spend whatever to fix or replace the unit (used?) and then don't loose thousands at resale time.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Generator noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
I’ve read a couple similar posts but not really what I’d be curious about. I have a sightseer 29r that has a Onan on the rear passenger side. Same side we sit under the awning grrrrr. I bought an aluminum pipe to redirect the exhaust but it doesn’t do much for the noise. I’ve been curious while reading other posts about replacing the Onan with a Honda. Shouldn't be too hard to mount the Honda and Repipe in the gas.

Thanks in advance. If I don’t reply it’s because we are just leaving for 8-10 days. I’ll reply when we return .
Onan does make resonators that reduce the noise produced by the generator. I added one to my 2.5 unit. Also you can convert a Honda generator to run on propane. Look at uscarburetion.com

Also the Predator and WEN generators are nice and quiet.

I bought a WEN 56380i, it has a 30A RV plug on it, and it will run everything in my Winnebago Fuse.
It’s a very quiet unit.
PeterAtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You could just buy a Honda and run it on the opposite side of the RV, plugged into your shore power. Even a Honda is a little irritating when you are sitting close to it. 20 feet away you won't hear or smell it.

I was also looking at the WEN Peter mentioned, but no one had it in stock when I needed it. I bought 2 Champion 2K units. Not as quiet as the Hondas, but less than 1/2 the price. It's surprising how much quieter generators are in your driveway compared to a campsite at 7 in the morning!
Old 09-30-2020, 11:58 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I’ve worked on trying to get less decibels from our Onan, (e.g.Resonators), but realized quite quickly that it’s not the sound exiting the tailpipe that’s the issue, it’s the fact that it’s an air-cooled engine that has an open space below, that emits the most decibel of noise,

Rerouting the exhaust, will help—minimally. But help significantly in directing the exhaust fumes...
Old 10-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post

Onan is the name for built in rv generators. Your manufacture decide where it should go. The built in gens are designed to run while driving and/or boondocking and already figured out where to get the fresh air and most importantly what to do with the exhaust. So be careful if you switch it out.

I would think a better option is to research how the higher end rv manufactures build "quit boxes" for their gens. That maybe something you can tackle yourselfe.

Safe travels
Old 10-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

A Honda or similar generator will not work in place of the Onan inside it's former compartment. The Honda does not direct the heat down like the Onan does, so it will likely overheat if placed in that closed compartment. There is a chance it might work if the lid was left open.

The better solution as noted above is to place the Honda on the other side of the coach. You can certainly store and carry the Honda in the Onan compartment, just don't run it in there.

And as noted it will be a real resale hit. The Onan gas generator option is usually $4,000 installed and you will lose most of that on resale.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #9
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Wow.

Just back and love what I’m reading. Great information. I’m not planning on doing this but would love to tone down the noise.

Thanks I am reading and taking in your response.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Onan is the name for built in rv generators. Your manufacture decide where it should go.

Well, Onan gives general directions, but does not actually decide where the exhaust goes—Winnebago does.

I would think a better option is to research how the higher end rv manufactures build "quit boxes" for their gens. That maybe something you can tackle yourself.

Very true. One could add some sound deadening material on the sides and top of the CABINET, but NOT on the actual generator itself—or bottom—it needs to breath
Safe travels
Well, Onan gives general directions, but does not actually decide where the exhaust goes.

I would think a better option is to research how the higher end rv manufactures build "quit boxes" for their gens. That maybe something you can tackle yourselfe.

Very true. One could add some sound deadening material on the sides and top of the CABINET, but NOT on the actual generator itself—or bottom—it needs to breath
Old 10-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

"I have a sightseer 29r that has a Onan on the rear passenger side. Same side we sit under the awning grrrrr."

Just curious, why are you sitting outside under the awning with the generator running?
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:16 AM   #12
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Gens runningbto...

Add a charge to the batteries, cool down or heat up (heat pump) the coach while The wife’s inside,????

We’ve been doing 5 - 7 days boondocking in central B.C. temps are just hitting 40 at night hitting 72 during the day.

Tags
ace, onan, replace