Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Humm! Getting shocked? The devil is often in the small details like that!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

No joy, 2 hrs and $200 later, no solution.

No Toad
Tourman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:46 AM   #23
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourman View Post
That, is painful. Sorry we couldn’t help. Sometimes, there are just too many variables to troubleshoot an issue remotely.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourman View Post
Actually, I did propose several methods to solve this but when you mentioned the repair thinking it was a ground problem I almost immediately assumed he would be a dud.
It sounds like he guessed it was a ground problem from the name of the ground fault interrupter. If one doesn't know more about the issue than the name of an item, he is unlikely to fix it!
Somebody needs to sort out why there is a POWER fault to ground. The drawings show there is a line of outlets that are fed by the inverter where the GFCI is located. The reason this protection keep kicking off is to keep people from being shocked as power from the GFCI is "leaking" to places it is not meant to be----like where you get shocked!
I have to make some quesses as you are pretty slow to tell us what is happening but I would assume that the RV is not plugged in at the time you are getting shocked, but if it is, THEN there would be some more questions about the ground as the ground in the cord should be making the GFCI kick before you get the shock.
Can we assume that the "tech" never looked at any drawings to see what was needed?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

This sounds like a bad ground to me...when you touch the rig, you effectively become the ground! VERY DANGEROUS. Get help and report diagnosis please!
Ual147870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ual147870 View Post
This sounds like a bad ground to me...when you touch the rig, you effectively become the ground! VERY DANGEROUS. Get help and report diagnosis please!
That's where we need to get details!
If we don't know about the shocking, we get a different view than if we know that. Important detail as then you are speaking of a real hazard.
But it does mean we need to know even more about things like if the RV is plugged into shore power. If we are getting shocked with it not plugged in, we might still be just making a ground for a bad wire, but if we are getting shocked and plugged in, it certainly means the ground in the shore power is not good.
Was the shock after the GFCI was just reset or is it a second and different issue?

Either way, two hours to not find the problem seems pretty poor. The reputable thing to do would be to not charge if you don't fix?
I had my Focus into a garage for eight days over a bad ground and they were so embarrassed that they simply wrote it off and only charged me for the vehicle inspection they did at the same time.

Tags
power, switch