Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I had some great luck, my house batteries started failing before our trip . We purchased our 2004 Journey 36G used and I anticipated losing these house batteries pretty quickly as access to the third battery is very difficult. I was able to use a funnel and carefully dripped in the water which took an eon of time and some spillage. So when the battery started sulfating and bulging last week I knew the time had arrived to replace the three Trojans 30XHS batteries.

I evaluated AGM batteries but beyond our budget. There are no local Trojan dealers so we choose the Interstate 29M which has similar capacities as the Trojan. But to prevent losing the new batteries due to dry cells, I installed the flow-rite water filling system. The flow-rite "Qwik Fill"¯is for 12 volt batteries and will fit all group 27 batteries and some group 30 and 31 batteries. The dimension required is 1 5/8"¯ between the holes. Two manifolds are required for each battery: three filler holes per manifold. The two batteries are linked together so only one filling is required. You can see the system at their web site: http://www.flow-rite.com/ . The "Pro-fill"¯ is for 6 volt batteries. The product looks professionally designed and it was easy to install and they provided more then enough tubing. I believe it will solve the water filling access for the back two batteries. So now we're powered up and ready to roll.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had some great luck, my house batteries started failing before our trip . We purchased our 2004 Journey 36G used and I anticipated losing these house batteries pretty quickly as access to the third battery is very difficult. I was able to use a funnel and carefully dripped in the water which took an eon of time and some spillage. So when the battery started sulfating and bulging last week I knew the time had arrived to replace the three Trojans 30XHS batteries.

I evaluated AGM batteries but beyond our budget. There are no local Trojan dealers so we choose the Interstate 29M which has similar capacities as the Trojan. But to prevent losing the new batteries due to dry cells, I installed the flow-rite water filling system. The flow-rite "Qwik Fill"¯is for 12 volt batteries and will fit all group 27 batteries and some group 30 and 31 batteries. The dimension required is 1 5/8"¯ between the holes. Two manifolds are required for each battery: three filler holes per manifold. The two batteries are linked together so only one filling is required. You can see the system at their web site: http://www.flow-rite.com/ . The "Pro-fill"¯ is for 6 volt batteries. The product looks professionally designed and it was easy to install and they provided more then enough tubing. I believe it will solve the water filling access for the back two batteries. So now we're powered up and ready to roll.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 01-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Steve ... I did the same replacement ...

Inerstate 29s and the fillers ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

A word of caution with the Qwik Fill system, which I have with the same Interstate 29M batteries. The battery experts say you should not really fill larger deep cycle batteries to the top of the opening...best is to fill to within 1/4" since there is expansion of the electrolyte during charging. With my first Qwik Fill system, my batteries were always boiling over. The Flow Rite folks advised me to only fill when the batteries were fully charged, which I did but the boiling over continued.

Qwik Fill sent me new, redesigned manifolds which seem to work better. Now I make sure I only use the system when the batteries are fully charged and I use the front battery (which does not have the manifolds) as a guide as to when the two rear batteries need water.

So far, so good.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

So I'm gathering that you both have 3 house batteries each plus your chassis batteries. Is that right, or do you have 2 house and 1 chassis?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobpie:
So I'm gathering that you both have 3 house batteries each plus your chassis batteries. Is that right, or do you have 2 house and 1 chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two chassis batteries (maintenance free) and three 29M Interstate house batteries...two in the rear of the tray with the Qiwk Fills.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem steve, but just removed the bad battery and brought two house battaries forward so filling is very easy. Will replace these with two new ones when the time comes. Since we use the inverter very seldom this works well.
rojodoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Always nice to know that someone else solved the puzzle the same way! SMLRANGER, thanks for the heads up on the "boil over."¯ I did not put the qwik-fill system on the outside battery (number 1 of 3) just to see if the system worked well. I was thinking that I would add the system later to the number one battery to help control spilling water added manually by my shaky hand. But I think I'll sit tight and see how it goes. I especially like your advice to use the number one battery as a guide when to add water.

At time of purchase the dealer installed two Interstate 31-MHD Workaholic starter batteries. These are "sealed"¯ batteries but not really sealed. I called Interstate and they told me that the plastic label seal across the top of the battery hides the filler caps. These commercial batteries are not typically maintained but can be by just pealing back the label. I think I'll follow suit as the battery cables make filling access pretty difficult.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-