Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2022, 06:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Entry light upgrade

After two burned out incandescent bulbs in my entry light over 3 years, I'm ready to switch to an LED bulb. But, the wife and I were also talking recently about how cool it would be to have a photocell in the fixture so you could turn the light on when you leave during the day and have it only come on at dusk (when you need it), rather than using up the battery the whole time. Some google searching found me this little baby: the MG1000.

It is not only light sensitive, but motion sensitive as well. And can be used in either "always on" mode or "motion" mode. Looks like a great investment, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any negatives to report.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
Site Team

I’m sure people have varying views on this, but when I walk the dog before bed it’s always unwanted when some motion sensor porch light pops on in a dark campground. And, then does it again and again when anyone anywhere in the campground moves.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’m sure people have varying views on this, but when I walk the dog before bed it’s always unwanted when some motion sensor porch light pops on in a dark campground. And, then does it again and again when anyone anywhere in the campground moves.
Good point, creativepart. I agree that it'd be disruptive if the light was always being triggered by people outside your campsite. This particular light supposedly has adjustable motion range (35' max).
Old 01-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I originally swapped out the incandescent bulb in our porch light with an LED, but it was way too bright.
Then I swapped out the entire fixture with this one. People have to get too close to our RV for it to activate, and it’s not that bright—dimmer than stock—but it lights up the steps which is all I want.
It too is activate by motion, and will not come on during the day.
Would I but it again? Yes, but I might try the one you found as well…
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6D146BAE-4381-4EE7-9A0C-DE00295D814E.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	737.6 KB
ID:	181791  
Old 01-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Interesting. Looking at the video on the MG1000 page, it sounds like the same guy invented both of these lights, with the MG1000 being kinda version 2.0. (Allows for syncing two or more lights hooked to the same switch, brighter light, UV protection for the fresnel lens...).

I actually like the fact that the SL1000 only lights up the steps, as that is all i'm trying to illuminate--not the whole whole campsite. But, I'm guessing there are ways to decrease the brightness of the MG1000 if it is too bright. (Some electrical tape on the inside of the lens, or something.)

Btw, the Amazon page for the SL1000 does say that the motion range is adjustable, if you feel that it's not sensitive enough. Have you tried that? Or maybe the fresnel has gotten cloudy?
Old 01-25-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We used to try to figure a way to get a little bit of light at the steps and never really found what we thught would be good as life changed before we figured it out.

Now we rarely leave the Rv without having the cellphone in a pocket and it gives just the right light for getting back in the RV!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:01 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-C Dude View Post
Interesting. Looking at the video on the MG1000 page, it sounds like the same guy invented both of these lights, with the MG1000 being kinda version 2.0. (Allows for syncing two or more lights hooked to the same switch, brighter light, UV protection for the fresnel lens...).

I actually like the fact that the SL1000 only lights up the steps, as that is all i'm trying to illuminate--not the whole whole campsite. But, I'm guessing there are ways to decrease the brightness of the MG1000 if it is too bright. (Some electrical tape on the inside of the lens, or something.)

Btw, the Amazon page for the SL1000 does say that the motion range is adjustable, if you feel that it's not sensitive enough. Have you tried that? Or maybe the fresnel has gotten cloudy?
If you’re asking me? The lens for the porch light gets sun all day in my driveway and it still looks brand new after two years. The motion sensor lens have always been opaque.

I’ve never even tried to adjust the sensitivity, it’s fine for me out of the box.

I did add additional lighting for when the door actually opens, so that when walking up the stairs they’re easy to see, DW said it’s one of her favorite upgrades…

Then there’s the lighted door handle I added, for bling…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	408960B3-FBC4-4158-ADE9-1FABAB6DADA9.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	181797   Click image for larger version

Name:	1B2A2198-C4FB-421E-BF23-D8DA266DE3C4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	181798  

Name:	9197A3C7-13F0-4BA0-BB88-ADC80FB2E263.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	181799  
Old 01-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's solar powered, and I haven't had to hand charge it once, since I charged it up initially. It also has the solar panel as a separate unit on a cable, so you can install it in the best spot for sunshine. It's VERY bright, light and motion sensitive, and adjustable. The price is right, too!
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:10 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I've had two Mg1000's for about 5 years on the patio side. Very happy with them, but they are bright - maybe brighter than you want.

Tags
light, upgrade