Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Electrical problems while dry camping

While dry camping, the first night, I set the generator to auto start before turning in. In the morning, we found the generator did not auto-start and the inverter had shut off with a low battery fault. Had to start the coach engine to start the generator and clear the fault.

The next day, the auto-start worked, but while operating the microwave, the inverters fault light lite, but there was no fault readout. I reset the inverter and the fault light cleared. The auto-start continued to work, but when the generator would stop, all 110 would go off until the inverter reset.

Later that day, the auto-start stopped working again. The inverted faulted with a low battery fault and showed 0 battery voltage while the auto-start readout showed 12.0 volts. Could not manually start generator without starting the coach engine or using the battery booster switch.

We only dry camp a few times a year and while overnighting at Wal-Marts. This is the first time this year and disappointed the systems are not working correctly.

Don't know if it is the norm, but we can only run about 2 hours off the batteries with the residential refrigerator.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbumn View Post
While dry camping, the first night, I set the generator to auto start before turning in. In the morning, we found the generator did not auto-start and the inverter had shut off with a low battery fault. Had to start the coach engine to start the generator and clear the fault.

The next day, the auto-start worked, but while operating the microwave, the inverters fault light lite, but there was no fault readout. I reset the inverter and the fault light cleared. The auto-start continued to work, but when the generator would stop, all 110 would go off until the inverter reset.

Later that day, the auto-start stopped working again. The inverted faulted with a low battery fault and showed 0 battery voltage while the auto-start readout showed 12.0 volts. Could not manually start generator without starting the coach engine or using the battery booster switch.

We only dry camp a few times a year and while overnighting at Wal-Marts. This is the first time this year and disappointed the systems are not working correctly.

Don't know if it is the norm, but we can only run about 2 hours off the batteries with the residential refrigerator.
I can run my residential frig all night on my batteries, Itasca 42QD.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Bad battery is my first guess
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you may need to check and clean your battery and ground connections. I would also check the inverter battery connections to make sure they are tight.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

While at the race today, I ran the generator for 3 hours before going to the race, cut off all the inverter breaker except the refrigerator. Before leaving the batteries read 12.5 on the One Place monitor, the Generator monitor, and the inverter monitor.

When we got back the inverter was faulted with a low battery fault and had shut off. The One Place and generator read 12.2. Again had to start the coach to get the generator started.

After it started and before the inverter turned on the voltage read 11.9.

Will be checking the batteries and all connections when I get home.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I believe the batteries take longer than 3 hours to fully recharge - through the bulk & absorb cycles.
Sounds like you may also have a power draw, hot water tank, or perhaps a sattelite reciever, etc.

Also, on the auto-start there is a quiet-time setting (it doesnt run during quiet-time) you may have that enabled, which may cause it not to start/stop early.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #7

Hi Ron,
We had a problem like that on our Vectra and it was the batteries. They would not hold a charge so we eventually had to replace them. Of course then we decided to get the Tour So, the new owner got all new batteries . Good luck.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Does the Auto-Start have a quiet-time mode thats turned on?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Is your unit using a Magnum Inverter/Charger? If so, do you have the MR/MH control panel? I have run across numerous units where the charge rate is set at 10% rather than the default/factory setting of 100%. At 10% if will never enter BULK charge and of course never fully charge the batteries properly.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Last Monday, when we got home, I checked all the cables on the batteries and on the inverter, they were all tight. Don't know where the ground is connected to the chassis, so could not check that.

How would I check the AGM batteries without taking them to the local auto parts store?

We did not run in quiet-time mode.

We do have a Magnum and the charge rate is set at 100%
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Scroll through the Magnum MR/MH control panel until it displays the Revision #. Call Magnum, they have been replacing certain control panels under Rev #1 for those experiencing similar behavior.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Smile

All this stuff and you did not tell us what size batteries your house bank has.

It would really help if you give the amp hours of your batteries, the group size of your batteries, the type of battery's.
You have an inverter on board correct. It converts 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC.

I wold tell my customers to run an energy audit. That is to add up the amperage draw of all the items that are ruining. Lights, refers, TV's fans, everything. The units are usually given in watts. That can easily be converted to amps.
If you give me the numbers I or someone else will do the math if you cannot. Then we can tell you how many hours you will have before your batteries go dead.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Finally had a chance to get the house batteries check. Our unit has 6 NAPA 9831DT deep cycle house batteries. Out of the 6, the machine at our local Autozone flagged 1 needing charged and the rest needing to be replaced.

These batteries have a 36 month warranty, so its off to NAPA tomorrow to see what they can do for me.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping, electrical