Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2022, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Electrical help needed

Hi All
I am stymied as to why I do not have 110 power to the galley outlet and the wall outlet on the sink island which is a GFI outlet.
As I checked I realized that this circuit might be tied to a basement outlet AND the outside tv.
The GFI will not reset....therefore I thought it was a bad GFI so I went and got a new GFI (same make and model 20amp) and replaced it wire for wire therefore no mishaps. That did not resolve my problem same malfunction, I also checked all the breakers on the panel and they are okay. All the other outlets are working fine.
Thanks in advance
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Perhaps some questions on how you are set for testing and what level experience may help speed things along.

Do you use a meter for testing and feel okay with that? How about reading drawings with some guidence? Any experience with the areaof techie stuff?

Meantime, i thinkI have found the correct drawingfor th e110AC on your Rvand I did a couple snips of the area mentioned as a way to pass along some ideas, if that is an area you are used to.
It reads somewhat like a terrible confusing road map if not looked at one before but actually something that can make some sense even if totally new.

First you have a main breaker panel where one breaker feeds a set of wires going an inverter panel. That second panel then has breakers feeding the various circuits which will work through the inverter.

First the main with the breaker involved in the inverter feed.

Click these snips to bring them up larger or go direct to the last sheet of this drawing.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000211600.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	mainpanel.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	183692

Then the second panel with the inverter breaker and smaller breakers for different items.

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverterpanel.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	183693

Since the GFCI will not reset, I suspect that is because it is not getting any 110AC power to it. That will keep it from resetting.

It needs a check of each of these brerakers, turned fully off and then fully on to assure they are actually set right as they can sometimes be tripped but not look like it.

Check the bathroom GFCI plug to find there is AC into the RV for sure? It is on a different leg from other things.

A voltmeter to check for voltage on other circuits would be good if one is onhand.
Do a bit of testing to see what other items are/ are not working,perhaps?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Corjaguar,

Have look at the 110 VAC wiring schematic for your coach, found on the WBO site under Owner, Owner Resources.

Here's the link;

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000211600.pdf

If the link doesn't work you find the site by drilling down into the "Owners" and then "Owner Resources". Find your year (2017) line (Adventurer) and model (38Q).

There's also a very cool "3D" parts program that allows you to look through walls and bukheads, flip, rotate and spin the chasssis to enable you to "see" parts locations.

By using both the plumbing & wiring schematics coupled with the 3D parts program you will have a pretty good chance of finding where plugs, connections and cabling should run.

Good luck with it

L
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #4
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

No surprise; Morich (AKA Richard) is way ahead of me! I cannot figure out how to snip the drawing but no matter. Richard's got your back here!
You're in good hands.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you guys for the response.....I need to get down to rv ( in storage) to check all the good info you have given me.
I do want to say that I did check the other
gfi in the bathroom and it is good.....the rest of the coach outlets are fine just the galley and the outside tv, and the gfi in the basement are dead.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I use an app called "Snip and Sketch" forlots of things when I want to cut the clutter down to make the important parts show better as well as add small info on things.
Vaery handy little app.

My freehand info is pretty funny, so for bigger notes, I move it to Adobe and use the regular lettering there. My typing skills went South when the air force felt I needed to put it in code!
High thin scattered clouds doesn't show on the normal keyboard!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Two notes about GFCI receptacles:
1. They will NOT reset if they are not receiving power, testing for power with a meter is always the first step. (a real meter, not a "volt stick" which only tells 1/2 the story)
2. Some brands have the line on top/load on bottom and others vice versa, so when replacing do not copy wire positions, read the writing on the back and match that. The "LOAD" terminals will have a yellow tape across them. Every GFCI is marked "LINE" and "LOAD" on the back. If hooked up backwards they will not work nor will they deliver power.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

GFCI tripping

I have an extension cord plugged in to an outlet in my front compartment .I use it for charging my golf cart, and for powering my (electric) pellet grill. My inside GFCI inside kept tripping. I tried to eliminate all possible causes. Unplugged a power strip that ran several small kitchen appliances; no change.
I noticed that my golf cart charger and my pellet grill would not work, because the indoor GFCI kept tripping. I was ready to go to Menards and buy another one. I finally unplugged my outdoor extension cord, and everything else worked fine. No tripping! I realized that the problem was that moisture had gotten in my outdoor cord because of the heavy rains we had just had. I will make sure in the future that my outdoor cord is better protected.
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical