Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary G. View Post
I purchased an electrical outlet tester today at the local hardware. I'll have a chance tomorrow to check all the outlets on my rig. Question, what if I find one that has a reverse ground or something? Then what? Is that something I can just flip wires on or will it require a professional electrician? I have done minor in-home electrical HM things, ceiling fans, light switches, dimmer switches, etc. After I plugged the rig into a non-gfi plug at the house, everything works fantastic; no issues.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
On the back of a typical 120V outlet, there will be two silver and one green screw on one side, and two gold screws on the other. The BLACK wire(s) connect to the gold screws, the WHITE wire(s) to the silver screws, and the BARE (or green) wires to the green screw.

Make sure with a Volt meter the circuit is dead before fiddling with it, or you'll be peeling yourself off the ceiling (or worse).
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc
The issue that you will encounter when trying to check where the neutral and ground are bonded is that shutting off breakers will not test anything. Because this only disconnects the hot wire.

I would first check that the bonding is not being done in the RV electrical panel. This can usually be checked visually. I'm really comfortable going beyond this.
If you have a DVOM (multi meter) unplug the coach and measure resistance from neutral to ground. If it is open no bonding or shorts.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Before trying to adjust or replace the thermostat, check to see if a vent is directly blowing on it shutting it down prematurely.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Checked all outlets, all good, no issues according to the outlet tester. Happy about that. Did replace the thermostat with a manual heat-only one. Made some adjustments and it works fabulous. All is good. Thanks for all you people's help and suggestions.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery