Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
2020 2108FBS

Battery not charging

I have a 2020 Micro Minni 2108FBS. I was hooking up the TT so I could get an early start tomorrow morning. I went to raise the TT to connect and the electric jack would not move. Checked light on jack and it would not come on. I checked the battery on the monitor panel and it showed fully charged. Checked battery disconnect switch and it was in the on position. Checked voltage at battery terminal and had about 9 volts. I purchased the TT in mid June and it has been setting in driveway with electrical connected full time. Anyone know of any reason battery not charging. All 12v lights work inside TT. Double checked that battery disconnect switch is in the on position. Help! L have portable battery charger on battery noe.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Check circuit breakers and fuses first.

One of the things on my list to do is to find the circuit breaker that controls the charging unit because I'll want to turn it off when running on a single generator and using a high watt device. But doing that is at least a week away.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
2020 2108FBS

My battery charged up with the portable charger. I did leave and I am at a RV park now. I still have the problem. I had no refrigeration on my trip (9hours) no 12 volts to frig. It’s like the battery disconnect switch is open. The TT does not charge the battery and the battery does not power the TT. I looked but did not see a fuse or anything between the disconnect switch and the battery. There are 2 wires going into the disconnect switch. Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Have you checked the 12 volt fuses inside the unit?

Have you checked the ground point at the other end of the negative battery terminal?
Old 09-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

On the tongue where it meets the frame (under the driver side storage door), you should see a residential type electrical box with lots of wiring going in/out. Inside should be a manual reset 30A breaker. Try resetting that breaker. The reset is a small black button on the side of the breaker.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
On the tongue where it meets the frame (under the driver side storage door), you should see a residential type electrical box with lots of wiring going in/out. Inside should be a manual reset 30A breaker. Try resetting that breaker. The reset is a small black button on the side of the breaker.
I recall seeing a picture of something like that posted here, but I recall it being inside the front compartment. But in the picture the reset button was hardly obvious--something you could easily miss. Just a small button about 1/5th the diameter of a pencil. Very small. And as I recall, in the picture it was partially hidden behind a wire.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I recall seeing a picture of something like that posted here, but I recall it being inside the front compartment. But in the picture the reset button was hardly obvious--something you could easily miss. Just a small button about 1/5th the diameter of a pencil. Very small. And as I recall, in the picture it was partially hidden behind a wire.
Mine is on the frame on the driver's side. From pics I've seen online, the 2108 wiring goes down the driver's side, but location may vary. I wish they would put it in the storage compartment. You just know the one time you need to get in there, it's going to be wet/muddy/rocky/dirty/hot/freezing.

Looking around I found pics from a Winnie Drop, but it should look the same.

PICS HERE

One of these years I'll do a major electrical system upgrade. That little box will be the thing to go.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:38 AM   #8
2020 2108FBS

I have seen the junction box when I was looking for a fuse in the battery cable. I will check it today if the rain holds off. Reading the other thread when the person had the same problem I am experiencing I hope this is my problem. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #9
2020 2108FBS

I just opened the junction box and there is no breaker or reset button in it. There are several groups of wires spliced together and a common strip for what I assume are negative wires. Also checked that I have continuity across the disconnect switch. I guess I will have to take it to the dealer when I get back home. All circuit breaker are on. I tripped and reset each one. Fuses in panel are good. I guess it came from the factory this way.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

If you want to avoid the trip for repair, it sounds like time to go about things in a more organised way. That is made more difficult when we are dealing with a trailer as we don't get the nice drawings that are posted for many motorhomes. That makes it much harder but still something that can be done, just takes longer and more thought.
You've told us several things that hint at how you are working but there are details left out that can be killing your search.
Depending on what I know about the wiring and where things are setup, I would want to start at one end or the other, either where the charging is coming FROM or where it is going TO.
Logically, I might first want to know that the batteries are capable of holding a charge, as they may have gone flat and are now damaged. To do this, I would set a charger directly on the batteries and let them charge for at least a day, then disconnect the charge, wait several hours and verify that the voltage is at least 12.5. As an alternate taking them to have a load test is also a good way to go if parts stores are doing it free and handy for you.
Once the battery is known to be good, The power most often goes to some form of fuse or breaker and that is often closeby as builders don't run wires longer than the have to for economy. Find out if the battery voltage is getting to that point and proceed to step along down the trail until you don't find the voltage and then look for the problem between those two points.
Testing is far better than assuming, so when you have a box open, stick a meter into the joints to verify that the voltage is there. Just because you see a connection, doesn't mean it is a GOOD connection, so if you really want to be thorough, you ay be well off to make sure of each connection on the path you are chasing.
If not able to sort out where the wires go, is it worth the time, to get a tone for wire tracing?
https://www.ebay.com/i/264762535845?...xoCBQcQAvD_BwE
Lots of online videos of how to use the tone.
It's a bummer, for sure, but then the alternate is taking it in for repair!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Before digging into the positive wire, make sure you check that the negative battery cable is properly grounded/secured to the frame. Using your DMM, you should be able to measure zero ohms between the - battery terminal and any point on the frame with exposed metal like a screw or bolt. If the negative battery terminal is properly grounded to the frame, then move to the positive side of the circuit.

The 12VDC +wire from the power center to the battery should only have 4 possible points of failure. Those points are at the WFCO power center, at the battery switch, in the frame junction box, and at the battery. If you unplug from shore power, measuring at each of these points will help isolate the problem.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
2020 2108FBS

My battery is fully charged and has held its charge since I arrived at the RV park on Tuesday afternoon. I can trace the the positive battery wires from the battery to the disconnect switch. I can not trace the the cable going from the disconnect switch to inside the TT. It goes in the sealed underpinning of the TT. It has started to rain here and I can do any additional trouble shooting now. I will be back home in a couple of days and can do further investigation then. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I believe with your help I can solve this. Currently it’s on a problem when I am not connected to shore power.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Good luck. I'm sure you will figure it out at home. I wouldn't suspect the wire from the battery switch to the power center. It should be one continuous wire with no failure prone connection points.

This post by Bigbird65 shows how my 2401RG is wired. Most likely, the 30A circuit breaker is buried in the frame junction box under all the wires.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #14
2020 2108FBS

I fixed the problem late Thursday. The battery breaker is located on the trailer frame not in the junction box. Thanks to this group I finally figured out what to look for. One major mistake I made trouble shooting was not disconnecting shore power while trouble shooting. I would have found where the power stopped within minutes of taking reading. In the picture below you will see a red cover over two wires. Just to the right of it is another red cover (just barely visible) that is the circuit breaker. You can see the small black reset button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4229005-7972-489F-A0F9-768A05BA2A99.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	175183  
Old 09-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Congrats on finding and fixing your problem. I would not be surprised if there were differences not just model to model and year to year, but trailer to trailer.

Tags
battery, charging