Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2024, 11:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Alarm for hydraulic jacks - 2008 Adventurer

Hello:

Does anyone have any idea where the actual alarm bell is located and what it looks like?

It will not stop chiming even when the slides are in and the jacks are fully stored. It drives you nuts! I thought I could maybe just unplug the thing until I get home and find out what the real problem is. I assume it is probably just a sensor, somewhere.

Thank you.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, it's built into the control. 99% of the time you simply need to fill the hydraulic fluid reservoir to the tip top.

Be 100% sure that the jacks are retracted all the way, and any hydraulic slide is retracted too. Otherwise after you fill the reservoir it will overflow when things are retracted.

Just go to an auto parts store and get a quart of Automatic Transmission Fluid - Mercon V or Dexron or one that meets both standards. You'll likely want a small funnel as well. The opening is small on the reservoir so you want a small funnel with a small opening on the bottom. I think mine is 1/2" or smaller.

You'll find the reservoir behind the wheel on the driver's side of your coach. Usually, you can reach it from the first compartment behind that wheel.

There are different kinds of hydraulic tanks on different model years. Some are tall and skinny others are longer and flatter.
[IGNORE]
Mine is the flat kind. On top there are two things. One is shapped like a nut that you'd use a wrench on, but it doesn't screw in, it pulls out. But it is difficult to pull it out. The other item on top is a float with a wire coming out of the top.

On mine you pull out the top without the wire and fill in that opening. But I know some other models you do unscrew the top with the wire and fill it from there.

So, I'm not sure what you have. By the way, "full" is just a bit below the very top of the tank. On mine it's not 1/4" from the top of the tank when full.
[END IGNORE]

PS. I carry a quart of ATF fluid in my front compartment along with a rag and a funnel. You never know when that alarm will start going off on every bump and turn.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:49 PM   #3
Site Team

This is covered in your Operator's Manual.

And it turns out your have the kind of reservoir with a dipstick built into the top for measuring the fluid. So ignore what I said about my fluid reservoir above.

So, you do unscrew the top on the top of the reservoir and remove the dipstick. Then you add the fluid there and read it's level on the dipstick.

Here is that page from your Operator's Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 1.32.30 PM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	188412  
Old 02-27-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you.

I guess I never realized that a low level would trigger the alarm. I have, in the past, had an issue with having to add some fluid but it never triggered the alarm. I just know that all was well on this trip and one time we were leaving, slides in and jacks up, but the alarm would not stop. So, for last 2 1/2 hrs to our destination we had to listen to that. Really don't want to listen to that the whole way home, over 3 days.

I'll get some fluid and give that a shot.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

An HWH leveling system has a jack up sensor on top of each jack, any on them will trigger the alarm bell.
HWH says to allow 1-2 minutes after the jacks up light comes on before turning off the system. This allows all oil pressure out of each jack hose. Even then on a hot day the ATF can expand enough to push a jack down enough to trigger the alarm. That happened to me before I re-read the manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:01 PM   #6
Site Team

I hadn’t thought it could be an HWH system on a 2008 Adventurer. I know Winnebago stopped using HWH and switched to other brands sometime in the mid-2000s. So, perhaps it’s not the hydraulic fluid level. That level being low is what makes this common on all the newer LCI systems.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I hadn’t thought it could be an HWH system on a 2008 Adventurer. I know Winnebago stopped using HWH and switched to other brands sometime in the mid-2000s. So, perhaps it’s not the hydraulic fluid level. That level being low is what makes this common on all the newer LCI systems.

This is his sales brochure, ½-way down the page it shows a picture of a HWH leveling system touch-panel.
In my MH the HWH alarm is on the port-end of the dash raised portion. When the top of the dash is removed the wiring to the speaker is handy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-28-2024, 10:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Is it a Kwikee control panel?

If so I have experience with the alarm bell not shutting off.

The biggest problem was the reed switch on each of the jacks. If you see silver (piston) after the jack are up then the reed switch is not aligning with the stationary one. If that happens the alarm will not go off. To make a long story short, Winnebago at the service center in Iowa couldn't even fix it.

No remember that the alarm going off could me something that is more detrimental to the operation and that would definitely need to be addressed.

If you do find it is a jack then pull the controll panel and you will see to multiconnectors. The 4 pin one is the power. Pull it and the alarm will stop. If you follow the red lead you will most likely see a small connector that has push terminals. What I did was to add a switch bypass so that when I was rolling I just switched the switch and the power was off and the alarm stopped.

I really need to emphasize that if it is something other than the jacks it needs to be addressed.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Is it a Kwikee control panel?

If so I have experience with the alarm bell not shutting off.

The biggest problem was the reed switch on each of the jacks. If you see silver (piston) after the jack are up then the reed switch is not aligning with the stationary one. If that happens the alarm will not go off. To make a long story short, Winnebago at the service center in Iowa couldn't even fix it.

No remember that the alarm going off could me something that is more detrimental to the operation and that would definitely need to be addressed.

If you do find it is a jack then pull the controll panel and you will see to multiconnectors. The 4 pin one is the power. Pull it and the alarm will stop. If you follow the red lead you will most likely see a small connector that has push terminals. What I did was to add a switch bypass so that when I was rolling I just switched the switch and the power was off and the alarm stopped.

I really need to emphasize that if it is something other than the jacks it needs to be addressed.
The sales brochure for his MH shows a picture of a HWH control panel. Open the link in my previous reply to see the picture.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks, guess HWH needs to be called.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, hydraulic, jacks, vent