Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH "jacks are down" alarm

Hey Folks;
Driving about 20 minutes from the house and the jacks down alarm went off, pulled over and and did a visual inspection and jacks looked in the proper stored position.
I have a HWH200 series, and before I go home and troubleshoot, I was wondering the consequences of pulling out the 10amp fuse for the audible alarm. What else do you think that fuse is connected to ?

When I get back I will check oil levels, and start by pulling out the quick disconnects to the jacks to see if it is a ground.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Don't know about the 200 sereis jacks as I have the 325 system. I pulled the fuse on our system as when it goes off when you least expect it, it startles the life out of you. As you, I inspected mine and jacks were all up. From what I've been told depending on the temps outside the oil can expand and trigger the alarm. I was told to travel with the system in the store position so if the jacks should move a bit the system will store the jacks to the proper height. I still have not replaced the fuse though. Haven't had any problem traveling that way.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

It has happened to ours several times. The Man At HWH said To just hit the Store/travel Botton Sometimed I have to hit -pusk it a couple times. It allways Goes Off.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

It seems that's a fairly common occurance...I've asked guys with a bunch of experience who all - thus far - have told me the same thing; hit the "Store" button and forget about it. While on the road, after a few jarring expansion joints I've gotten the alarm, turned around and hit the "Store" button and kept going. The expansion of warm jack oil seems to be the most common explanation...I just don't like a system that has that kind of "failure" but suppose I'll live with this one, and "Store" when required.
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 1998 36Z Southwind and have the same problem, checked fluid level it was ok and I remove the fuse when I'm traveling, the dealer stated it could be a stuck solonoid or senser, I can't locate a tech manual for Southwind MH.
jimdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I wish i had a store button :(
i have the joysticks that work the hydraulics.
Interesting about the temperature, I will check into that..
What I would really love to do is figure out a way to bypass that alarm (a kill switch) when going down the road. My german shepherds where howling down the road in traffic..DROVE ME BONKERS! Have to look back and laugh though, it was a funny but not at the time..
Thanks for the replies..
Old 07-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Best thing probably in your situation is to just pull the fuse. That will silent the alarm. Can't speak for you dogs though.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond
Hey Folks;
Driving about 20 minutes from the house and the jacks down alarm went off, pulled over and and did a visual inspection and jacks looked in the proper stored position.
I have a HWH200 series, and before I go home and troubleshoot, I was wondering the consequences of pulling out the 10amp fuse for the audible alarm. What else do you think that fuse is connected to ?

When I get back I will check oil levels, and start by pulling out the quick disconnects to the jacks to see if it is a ground.
It's probably the fluid level being a little low. Mine did that while new until I OVERFILLED the hydraulic fluid. A few days of it dripping and it and the alarm has stooped.

The alarm works by going off when the fluid is low in the tank, which is normal when the jacks are down (fluid is in the extended jacks). It's overly sensitive. Just add as much ATF as you can when the jacks are up.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My jack alarm used to go off after I retracted the jacks,,,was told to just hit the store button and let the system cycle without cutting it off,,,it will cut off automatically when it has cycled....Have had no more problems with the jacks since I started letting the system cycle...

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a Kwikee hydraulic jack systme that is doing the same thing. The only thing I can do is pull the control panel out of the wall and remove the 4 pin connector.

Shux to say the least --- but I'm real upset.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
Hey Folks;

I had a similar problem with my HWH system on my '03 Holiday Rambler. When I filled the reservoir to the "full" mark on the dipstick, or filled it until fluid came out the weep hole it would still alarm. Replaced the switch in the top of the tank (twice, dealer sent two to me)that trips the alarm to no avail. Finally left the little screw in the weep hole and filled the reservoir until it overflowed and VOILA, no more alarm! That fix worked the remainder of the time I full timed in the Rambler, over a year, before I sold it.

stik
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Not real sure about this, but the laminated "abridged" instructions I have state that "store indicator light must be on while traveling".

Can't find that statement in the full manual. It states the systems will shut down two minutes after all jacks are up and after thirty minutes regardless of the warning system. Can't see going down the road pressing the button every half hour or so.

note 325 series levelers
Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
Hey Folks;

i have hwh jacks and the rear jack unlock light would come on randomly while traveling down the road. i replaced the original springs with the new tapered springs last summer. no more problems. the new springs are stronger.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh