Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

The installation drawings are good for locating the physical parts we need, so taking a look at this drawing may help?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...000/132293.pdf

Scroll down to where the SHEET number is 7which may show as page 8 if looking at the PDF numbering!!

What might be happening is that the power monito is not quite set rightfro 50 amp and thinks you only have 30, so when you move past 30, the load shedder is given the wrong info and sheds the water heater. When the water heater load is shed, is it possible you are hearing the click of the water heater relay pulling up and dropping off?

An alternate is the load shedder is not workingright but I lean toward the first idea more.

Check this snip to see if it fits where you are getting the clicks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sht 7 copy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	182475   Click image for larger version

Name:	sheet number copy.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	182476  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:24 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeVenture View Post
So I wasn’t able to get a shot behind the breaker panel this morning before work I will this evening but this is what I’m looking at so far

I’m seeing 240v written on the breaker so leaves me wondering.
Great! But this does not mean that the breakers are good or that the EMS control board is bad.

1/ What is the voltage from each 50A breaker to neutral? Measure this with and without a load. Turn on your A/C for instance. (This will stress the breaker feeding it.) You should see 115V+/-. The breaker feeding the load may read lower than the other one.

2/ Post a picture of the service panel with the cover off. I need to see what hardware you have. There are many different configurations available.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

@jerichorick I will remove the cover and test at the breakers tonight and will take a photo. I will let you know the results.

@Morich So I tested last night loading the system past 30 amps. EMS was showing 30 amps lit. I turned on water heater, microwave and a blow drier. Hit 36 amps and the EMS was a light click from water heater relay and it shed the water heater. I waited and watched and water heater came back online as it should once load decreased. Wondering if EMS could be bad or not sensing the 50amps being fed? I'd die to get the 50amp service working so limited living full time with 30

Appreciate everyones in depth help here. I realize the time invested in these post and its more than appreciated.
LifeVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

The test is where I begin to lean way toward a programming error or failure at the monitor panel as Creative has suggested but I also have never used that monitor, so admit to guessing.

My thoughts go like this. When we have thirty amp service at any point along the line so that current is limited by the 30 amp breakers, if we go to 36 amp, the breaker is almost certain to trip and quickly!

So if you are seeing a current of 36 and the load is being shed but the breaker not tripping, I feel you are getting more than 30 amp into the RV and to the monitor but it is looking for only 30, therefore begins to shed power.
Thinking of why your specific RV has 50 is that you have larger, more power hungry AC and since there seems to be no obvious trouble with that part, I feel you are getting the power, just that it is not being monitored correctly.

This looks to me like something has happened to the monitor and setup so that it is controlling current at or near 30 instead of 50.

Any info on hand for how to setup the monitor? It would seem to me there may have been some error in button pushing and those can happen really easy without us even knowing it was done.

If you've had any new folks in the Rv or somebody tried to look at it without knowing for sure, I find the error rate can go way high!
Like the first time I handed my daughter a cordless drill but failed to tell her about the reverse switch? Only the monitor has lots more possibilities!
Old 04-13-2022, 11:45 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

@Morich My EMS system looks like the one halfway down the page here. It has a single button and should show the power sensed 50amp and 30/20 is selectable by a single press. Never seen 50 lit up and it doesnt seem to be selectable only lit when sensed.

https://www.rvrepairclub.com/article...gement-part-2/

I'm not sure when I loaded the power management to 36 amps if I was on the same circuit or breaker for it to trip. Microwave, blow drier etc on different circuits. At the pedestal I'm plugged into 50 amps and have a 50 amp breaker there so my thoughts are it would trip.

Wondering how to test the sensing capability of the unit or whats next in the diagnostic path.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #26
Site Team

The obvious question is that don't have that 30/20 Amp Select button on... correct?

The other obvious question is... are you positive the issue is not at your power pedestal outside? Have you tested a neighbor's pedestal perhaps?
Old 04-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Yes, Correct. I have a 30/20 amp selector button. The button isnt on/off style but when hit selects next amperage. When plugged into 50amp at pedestal it is default showing 30amp on EMS. I can select 20amp and it does go to 20. When hit agin goes back to 30.

I will check the pedestal tonight. I have been to 4 different spots now in this same park and there are other big rigs 40ft plus larger then me here with no issues.

I was just reading a little bit on this system and wonder if you decipher this as useful to my issue.

According to the Intellitec manual:

"OPERATION IN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 240VAC, 50 AMP SERVICE:
In operation, when the 120 VAC or 240 VAC power is applied, the system automatically powers up
and determines the nature of the power source.
If 240 VAC, 50 Amp service is available, the energy management feature is disabled and the Control
Module sends a signal to the Display Module which causes the load meter to go blank, the 50 AMP
service indicator to light, and all power status indicators to light.
If the generator is running, 120 VAC will be present at the L1 and L2 inputs and a +12 VDC signal will
be present at J4 pin 8 on the Control Module. In this mode the energy management feature is
disabled and the Control Module sends a signal to the Display Module which causes the load meter
to display actual load current, the GEN SET service indicator to light, and all power status indicators to
light.
If 120 VAC is present at the L1 and L2 inputs and no +12 VDC signal is present at J4 pin 8 on the
Control Module the EMS will assume that 120 VAC, 30 Amp shore power is available and the energy
management feature will be enabled. If 20 Amp service is only available the user must select the 20
AMP service mode by momentarily pressing the 20/30 Amp select switch on the Control Panel.
Initially, all relay contacts are closed. The total current is monitored. If the total current should
exceed the service limit, the system will turn off the first load in the shedding table."
Old 04-13-2022, 12:36 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Found this as well.

http://janeandjohn.org/docs/EMSmanual.pdf
Old 04-13-2022, 01:44 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

After reading more info. This gentlemen issue could explain it better than I could. Take a look I'm starting to think its the EMS powerline controller. As Morich states looking like 50Amps is there just not recognized.

https://www.rvforum.net/threads/inte...roblems.81337/
Old 04-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

This does sound like you are on the same trail following the same problem so I might suggest going with looking in the box to see if those resisters are burned.
I don't have the box, so consister this guessing and back off if it doesn't fit!

It looks like those resisters shown in his first post on JPEG 6640 are just an enlarged view and set next right from his picture 5640 and might be possible to take a look without too much disconnect (safety?) needed if one is only going to take a look?

If not used to looking at burned resisters of this sort, they will often be easy to spot as they just looked ---burned!

Then comes the decision of which way to go. Replace the resisters which can be cheap or replace the box which can be easier but cost more???

EDIT?
For giggles I also found this bit:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/int...ms-424851.html
Old 04-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Yeh tonight I will remove the breaker cover and inspect the EMS board. I'm finding new replacement boards on Amazon for like $200. Hopefully I do find burnt resistors as this will be an easy fix. Thanks for hanging in there. I will provide results of pedestal test, breaker test and checking the EMS module.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:26 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yeh tonight I will remove the breaker cover and inspect the EMS board. I'm finding new replacement boards on Amazon for like $200. Hopefully I do find burnt resistors as this will be an easy fix. Thanks for hanging in there. I will provide results of pedestal test, breaker test and checking the EMS module.
I went back and reread your first post. It is clear, with a rethink, that you have one bad 50A breaker or loose connection, or the EMS control board has failed. You MUST get the correct part number if you replace the EMS board. Refer to my post with the manufactures site for more information.
As is the spirit of this forum, we are all routing for you and this combined effort will get you back in service soon.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
So I wasn’t able to get a shot behind the breaker panel this morning before work I will this evening but this is what I’m looking at so far

I’m seeing 240v written on the breaker so leaves me wondering.
Good morning, behind the metal blue grey circuit panel is an electronic circuit board that is connected to the EMS oneplace display. A tech can contact the manufacturer and test it. Mine was bad. The replacement can be sent to you and installed by your tech. The newest one has mods and looks different but works great. The replacement requires removing power to your coach for safety. This solved our issue of 30 amp instead of 50 amp on the display. If the other suggestions don’t take care of your problem this might do it.
Rick
Rickb33952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone. I'm sorry for the delay the park I was at had no internet and during day my work did not allow.

This is my finding. I am sure we are wired for 50A. When I removed the grey breaker cover I found marker marking stating 50 amp.

My EMS board did not have the resistors and everything else on it from what I could tell looked good and no burned connections. I'm familiar with computer boards so feel confident I didnt see burn. Wonder how I test the board. Probably best to call like Rick advised.

Here is behind the panel.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

The EMS board had a part number of

INTELLITEC
00-00633-000
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4AAF75D7-A51D-407D-AF91-3C0175AA803C.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	182510   Click image for larger version

Name:	6DBB7268-C362-47B1-B819-4154D9ABB48A.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	182511  

Name:	C54FE6C0-E89B-4EE6-9D1C-E27A79656E93.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	182512   Click image for larger version

Name:	12843E62-BBF4-4462-ACB8-8581BDE8151D.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	182513  

Old 04-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:

INTELLITEC
00-00633-000
https://intellitec.com/technical-support/
The board is obsolete. Ask the tech support folks at Intellitec what the replacement is for it.
I take it not everything is running in your coach. Loads are shedding when on 50A service because the EMS is defective? If this is true, for a temporary fix, do the following:
Look for the connections on relay 1 and CB 1. They are side by side. remove the wires from the screw terminals and wire nut them together. Do the same for Relay 2 and CB 2. This will by-pass the EMS. Once this is done, power the pedestal back up. Now check to see if all your circuits are functioning.
At this point you can not use 30A or 20A service without the risk of tripping the pedestal breaker.
I wish to compliment you. You have been one of the easiest persons to help. Your ability to provide to us the information we might be requesting has been outstanding. Because of this great ability of yours we all have a better chance of getting you to the best solution for your problem. I solute you.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:

INTELLITEC
00-00633-000
I found this too: https://intellitec.com/2004-50a-smar...a0239e3b6f6a8c

Tags
adventurer, vent