Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

6 Way Electric Seats

The control wires got pinched and shorted out when I put the passenger seat all the back. I've disconnected the power cord so I can still operate the drivers seat.

I've been unable to remove the wires, so looks like I will need to remove the seat & disconnect the motor mounts in order to move the seat forward and relieve the pinch point.

Has anyone tackled this, and any tips?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Did you get it fixed?

Ours came with a flaky connector & we ended up just splicing it - there was plenty of wire. Surprized yours got pinched.

Taking the seats out is pretty easy if you can get somebody agile to crawl around down there. Just a few screws on the top of the base for the seat. We took ours off to check the motor before we realized it was the cable connector... doh.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not yet, but hope to get to it before we leave on Thursday.

It looks like I should be able to remove the 4 bolts and tilt the chair over onto the floor.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I fixed the control cables that were crimped. After removing the chair (4 nuts, power cord tie wraps, seat rotating cable lock), I jumpered a 9 volt battery to the motor which powers the forward/reverser gear boxes, and moved the seat forward enough to allow the cable wrap to be moved back to the center of the frame.
One cable had been crimped enough to pierce the wire insulation, causing the circuit breaker to trip. It was not cut, so i taped it up.

I checked the drivers chair, and the control cable wrap is not tied to any component, but it was positioned between the chair cushion and the square frame that holds all the motors. I believe the one on the passenger was not positioned properly.

All works well now.

Some pics:

Chair bottom

Crimped cable

Blue wire was 9volt positive, and moved chair forward.

Cable wrap released
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Be careful when you lay the seat back. The slide rails will cut holes in the skirt. Wonder how I know that?
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Dan,
These are great photo's. Thanks for sharing. I understand everything you said except "why 9 volt battery." Is it normally 12 volt but the 9 volt was enough to turn the motor?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yes, it was easier to use the small 9v battery, and motor ran just fine.

stuhly,
I guess I was lucky, as I laid down the seat forward (as we had them facing in). I can see how damage could happen on its' back. Momma would not have been happy.