Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

30 AMP to 50 AMP?

I recently purchased a 2005 Winnebago Voyage 33V and the plug for shoreline is 30 amp. However on my inside panel it has a spot for 50 Amp service. Can I run 50 amp through this system? Thanks 🙏🏻
Bornbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I suspect not as you may be thinking but that is when we need to consider details of the question!

Your year and model of RV has several options and one of them involves the power cord and load center. If you have a power cord with 10 gauge wire and two conductors (10-2) it should have a main breaker at the load center rated for 30 amps.

However if you have a cord with three number 6 conductors (6-3) you should have two fifty amp main breakers at the load center.

So the questions are these.
Which cord do you have? You can often find this info stamped into the plastic cover of the cord.
Also what do you mean by having a spot for fifty amp?
Do you mean you have breakers there for fifty amp or only an empty slot labeled fifty?

You might take a look at this drawing as it shows how your power should be laid out and then compare the load center with what you have.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_148468.pdf

One of those cases where two RV which are "exactly the same" are not at all the same!
So we first need to sort out exactly what you have!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Richard is correct however, in 2005, 30A was standard for all models of the Voyage with 50A as an option for all but the 31W.

On the assumption that your MH is wired for 30A shore power, the only way to connect your 30A cord to 50A shore power is via an appropriate adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTSQG3G...ogi&th=1&psc=1

Assuming your MH is wired for 30A and not 50A service, there are many threads on converting to 50A service, should you desire to do so. It's not as simple as changing the power cord and some breakers. From what I've read, the most time consuming and difficult task is running new, heavier gauge cabling from your ATS (automatic transfer switch) to your breaker panel. In many cases, such as with my 2001 Suncruiser, the ATS is already sized for 50A.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

On the 33V model we could get into whether it has option 12D or option 7BJ but getting that info is often harder than checking the cord or load center, so I often skip that question as many never get that close on reading the information package!

When we picked up a Thor, the saleman seemed to have never heard of that sort of info being passed to the customers!
One of the reasons I prefer Winnebago?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote