Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2022 Vista 29V Battery and Solar installation

I added 400Ah of LiFePO4 batteries and 720W of roof-top solar. I used VHB tape to attach aluminum strut channel to the roof and attached tilting solar panel mounts to that. I also covered the VHB areas with Dicor to minimize UV degradation.

My RV came with the solar package which was a single 100W panel and a Xantrex 30a MPPT. I was hoping to re-use the wiring and/or roof penetrations but no dice. I ended up making a new hole and putting in a sealed j-box with plastic pipe conduit going into the rig. Since I added all that solar I ended up using the 100W panel to keep my chassis battery charged.

Parts list includes:
- Victron 100/50 mppt
- Lynx distribute
- BMV 712 smart monitor
- Bluetooth temp sensor
- Renogy 60 amp DC-to-DC
- 4 x BougeRV 180w panels on tilting brackets
- 2 x LiTime 12v 200ah batteries
- Aluminum strut channel
- VHB
- Lots of heavy gauge wire, lugs, fuses, breakers, solar cable adapters, etc.

cloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Nice I have similar - 4x180 watt panels on my 2017 29ve w/ 2 lion energy batteries replacing my original deep cycle(?) batteries - your setup is much more "refined". Nice to be able to boondock - is that Anza Borrego State park by chance? Not sure if you're that far south...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	185147  
Old 02-08-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

@cloo - what "compartment" is that - driver's side behind the propane? Or is it the passenger side in front of the rear dualies? My compartments looks a bit different BUT I think where you have the inverter is in the same spot as mine - I need to replace my modified wave and would love to put in a 2k but I need to run heavier gauge wire or move that to maybe under the dinette seat (next to the door and closer to the battery).
Old 02-08-2023, 11:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
Nice I have similar - 4x180 watt panels on my 2017 29ve w/ 2 lion energy batteries replacing my original deep cycle(?) batteries - your setup is much more "refined". Nice to be able to boondock - is that Anza Borrego State park by chance? Not sure if you're that far south...
That was actually a photo before I added the solar/batteries but it's Kofa Wildlife refuge in AZ (south of Quartzsite). We'll be heading out to Anza Borrego in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
@cloo - what "compartment" is that - driver's side behind the propane? Or is it the passenger side in front of the rear dualies? My compartments looks a bit different BUT I think where you have the inverter is in the same spot as mine - I need to replace my modified wave and would love to put in a 2k but I need to run heavier gauge wire or move that to maybe under the dinette seat (next to the door and closer to the battery).
I used the passenger side in front of the rear tires. That's where my stock inverter lives so it made sense to put it all in there. I'm going to assess needs and see if I need any additional battery and/or solar and upgrade to a MultiPlus II inverter/charger.
cloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, install, solar