Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2016 ERA slide out "dead"

We stopped for lunch, when ready to hit the road we retracted the slide not knowing the lp gas access panel door was left up. Now the slide out does not move with the lp door caught inside. There is no slide out motor sound. Checked CIRCUIT BREAKERS AND FUSES – HOUSE 12-VOLT DC and the Automotive Chassis 12-Volt Circuit Breakers (under passenger seat). With no motor sound I suspect another fuse/breaker somewhere (unless the motor is dead). Looked at both the Sprinter's fuse/relay boxes and nothing is apparent. Looked over the Sprinter's relay/fuse diagram and nothing sticks out as being the culprit. Re-seated wires under seat. Checked 12v connector.
I would not suspect that the slide motor would simply die without blowing a fuse/breaker first.
I just feel that there is something simple that I am missing.
any suggestion for a quick fix?
vhartline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

So is it a crisis situation where you need to get the slide in to move? That is often covered in the manual, so a check there may get emergency help to get it on the road again.
Then the final solution is to check those fuses and breakers but more thorough as I am with you on thinking the motor is made to stand a fair amount of overrun without failing but if done long enough I expect a fuse to blow, certainly if the motor has '"burned up" as the burn out does require lots of power.
What you may find is that there are more than one fuse/breaker that may control this. One to serve the motor which is likely to be high power and then also one which serves the control wiring which is low power. Thinking like a small master which controls the large slave?
But then it certainly is worth taking a look if you not done so to see if the door may have cut some wiring under the slide.
With more info on which 2016 era you have we can do a check for breaker locations that you may have missed, as there are six versions. See this link for which:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhartline View Post
We stopped for lunch, when ready to hit the road we retracted the slide not knowing the lp gas access panel door was left up. Now the slide out does not move with the lp door caught inside. There is no slide out motor sound. Checked CIRCUIT BREAKERS AND FUSES – HOUSE 12-VOLT DC and the Automotive Chassis 12-Volt Circuit Breakers (under passenger seat). With no motor sound I suspect another fuse/breaker somewhere (unless the motor is dead). Looked at both the Sprinter's fuse/relay boxes and nothing is apparent. Looked over the Sprinter's relay/fuse diagram and nothing sticks out as being the culprit. Re-seated wires under seat. Checked 12v connector.
I would not suspect that the slide motor would simply die without blowing a fuse/breaker first.
I just feel that there is something simple that I am missing.
any suggestion for a quick fix?
Do you know where the slide controller is mounted? Possibly in a compartment near and under the slide. If it's dead, no lights, keep looking for a power problem. If it's still alive check the light flashes and look up the error code in the slide out manual online or from the black bag copy.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Unable to get to the slide controller/motor as it is accessible when the slide is out. The slide is presently in. Manual operation in the manual assumes that the slide is out. Checked the fuses one-by-one and none are blown. Looks like I am forced to wait a few weeks for service.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Good luck with it.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Success!!
What I had to do is to "reset" the slider controller. Tried slide switch with ignition OFF/E-Brake ON...the ignition OFF/E-Brake OFF... the ignition ON/E-brake-OFF...and then ignition ON/E-Brake ON and SUCCESS. Slide works.
Do not know why this information is not published anywhere but...
Hope this helps!
Old 06-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Where did you find this "reset" procedure?

From Page 10-1 in the 2016 Era OM.
"SLIDEOUT ROOM LOCK
SYSTEM
The ignition key must be placed in the on or <<<<<<
run position to operate the slideout room(s). The
park brake must be applied for the room(s) to run. <<<<<
Winnebago recommends running the engine
whenever you run the slideout rooms in or out,
the engine alternator should insure the rooms
have adequate 12-volt DC power to operate
correctly." <<<<<<<
Old 06-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The more I look at manuals, the more I feel there is a definite move to control some information and that results in more calls for the pro to do the work we can't figure out.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

A service person at a non-Winnebago dealer told me about this "procedure"
Old 07-03-2020, 06:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Interesting.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhartline View Post
Success!!
What I had to do is to "reset" the slider controller. Tried slide switch with ignition OFF/E-Brake ON...the ignition OFF/E-Brake OFF... the ignition ON/E-brake-OFF...and then ignition ON/E-Brake ON and SUCCESS. Slide works.
Do not know why this information is not published anywhere but...
Hope this helps!
Very good info and I will be adding it to my personal folder of things the manual doesn't tell me. Thanks!

Another point that we might all need someday?
We got to a campsite, put the jacks down but they did not stop until all wheels were off the ground and then would not retract!
If the hydraulic fluid is low, they will not retract! I had "assumed" fluid was needed to build pressure for extending but never thought about it needing fluid to retract as that seemed to be just a release of pressure and it would "fall" down. WRONG.
We were there for another four days so thinking it would not hurt to check things, I added more fluid and it worked.
The trip charge for mobile repair was going to be three hundred dollars as we were "so far out" at about 25 miles! Plus labor and parts, of course! WHEW!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #12
RVCalypso

Info Not In The Manual

It drives me crazy when information is not in the manual that should be. In a previous life we had a very expensive accounting software package at our company that had a manual the size of a phone book. We had to subscribe to a technical support package that cost more annually than the software package. Nearly every time we called with a problem they would give us a secret code to enter the system and correct the problem. When asked where is this in the manual? We got the same answer "It's NOT!" It is impressive that a non Winnebago dealer had an answer for you. I would share the dealers name and location so that anyone in that area can patronize them if out of warranty. Apparently they know what their doing.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

The problem with service and finding good ones is that it changes so often. There happened to be one guy on that one special day but is he still there next week?
Part of the problem is how we value labor and knowledge. If a guy truly knows electronics, is he inclined to be doing electrical repair on things like an RV monitor and then the next day sliding around on the ground trying to trace a hydraulic line? Not most of us if we have the option to go someplace and just do the electronics thing that he is trained to do and not get involved with the rest. So how hard is it to find a guy who knows electronics, hydraulics, mechanical, etc. and is still willing to do them all at the low ball pricing for labor at most RV shops?

Tags
slide, slide out