Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnie Drop 1780 leaky window

Wife went out to put a sheet on the mattress in our new mini drop. It was really damp, as well as the wood under it. I took it(mattress) out to dry, I could find no obvious sources for the leak. During a heavy rain last evening(Mon), I went out to check, The rear window was leaking badly. There doesn't appear to be any caulk around the outside, just a gasket or rubber seal. Will call the dealer today, but they are 4 hours away, with more thunder storms coming today, any ideas on a temporary fix.

Thanks
greg
Greg Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just caulked around rear window. after drying I had my wife pour water on the top above the window. I watched the water come in through the weep holes. The dealers tells me this has never happened before. I think it is because the window is made for a 90 degree installation. It is in this trailer at about 65 degrees. The weep holes aren't in the bottom of the channel, they are up aways on the outer edge. the water comes over the front(inside) edge of the channel, be fore it hits the hole, so the water wouldn't drain any way. I put a piece of tape over the outside of the weep hole and did the test again, it didn't leak. The dealer tells me Winnie won't replace the window because there is nothing wrong with it!??? I am taking it back, but that is a week away, and a 4 hour drive. Any one with any experience with this. Winnie Drop 1780. I'm getting really frustrated here. This is a brand new 2018 trailer.
greg
Old 07-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I hope they are able to fix the problem for you, Greg. I have no experience with this but perhaps other Drop owners will see your post. Good luck.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Same issue here, 2018 Drop. Just picked it up from the repair shop and they said they removed the window and re-sealed it to fix it. I'll test it later and see if it's fixed.
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am reluctant to mention the competition on a winnie site, but we looked at r-pod, and hummingbird also. The dealers we much closer, and the price was competitive, but the quality, and brand name swayed our decision. Hope we didn't make a mistake. This is really going to be inconvenient to get this back to the dealer, then we are going to have to leave it, and drive back to get it back. We had our Jayco for 3 years, and never had a problem with it.

greg
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just returned from a week long trip and am sad to say the window still leaks. Looks like they added some sealant between the window frame and trailer so I'm thinking the leak is coming from the rubber gasket that holds the glass in the frame.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Finally got to the dealer yesterday, I showed them where the water was coming in, so they checked a few slightly newer Drops they had. The window is the same, but there are no inside weep holes. The're solution was to calk the inside holes. The guy did a really good job, can't even see were they were, and the water check didn't leak. The next heavy rain will tell, but for now I'm satisfied.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for sharing that solution, I'll mention that when I go back in. I had thought of trying to caulk those holes on the inside but wasn't sure what the inside of that window frame looked like. Didn't want water getting trapped in there and making its way into the wall. I suppose with the inside holes plugged, the frame will fill with water until the water reaches the outside holes and drains.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

leaky window

The mechanic removed the rubber gasket. He then cleaned the channel, calked from the inside the camper(nice and smooth looking, a really good job, some kind of black silicon). then he cleaned the excess from outside to make sure the outside holes were clear. he let it dry for 90 min, then put the gasket back and calked were the ends butted together. It passed a check with a lot of water poured above and over the window. This guy was patient and thorough, and explained every step so I knew he understood the problem. He said they would replace the window if necessary, but I really think we got it right this time.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

There have been several torrential rains since getting back, and no water in the Drop. Very happy. Hope to get out again soon.

Tags
leak, window