Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2015 Winnebago Itasca Viva I purchased new from a dealer near Orlando, FL which is about 3 and a half hours from my home. I have been lucky enough to find a Camping World within 30 miles of my home that will service it for me. I have to wait in line for service as they give priority to those who purchased from them, which is completely understandable. Last year I had an oil and filter change without a problem, but then this year I was told they couldn't change the oil filter due to new rules for either this dealership, or corporate. They were willing to change the oil as long as they didn't replace the filter. The explanation was vague but included a comment that there was an issue that arose from changing filters. Not sure if it was because of the model I own, or if it was because of a problem in general with changing filters on RV's purchased elsewhere. I'm confused as to why this is an issue. I guess I'll have to learn how to change my own oil and filter.

Any suggestions?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have a 2015 Winnebago Itasca Viva I purchased new from a dealer near Orlando, FL which is about 3 and a half hours from my home. I have been lucky enough to find a Camping World within 30 miles of my home that will service it for me. I have to wait in line for service as they give priority to those who purchased from them, which is completely understandable. Last year I had an oil and filter change without a problem, but then this year I was told they couldn't change the oil filter due to new rules for either this dealership, or corporate. They were willing to change the oil as long as they didn't replace the filter. The explanation was vague but included a comment that there was an issue that arose from changing filters. Not sure if it was because of the model I own, or if it was because of a problem in general with changing filters on RV's purchased elsewhere. I'm confused as to why this is an issue. I guess I'll have to learn how to change my own oil and filter.

Any suggestions?
Offhand, that sounds really bizarre.

It sounds like to this point you've had good luck with that particular Camping World, but as you may know, CW in general does not exactly have a stellar reputation.

Essentially ANY repair shop should be able to change the oil and filter.

Even if their service bays cannot accommodate an RV, they can do it outside (if they want to).

Then again depending on how much an oil and filter change typically costs, you may want to do it yourself, as you mentioned.

From what I've read, an oil and filter change for our View (Sprinter chassis) can cost anywhere from over $200 to $300 (or more). We get the proper (extra-special, MB-certified, magical) oil on sale for $5-$6 per qt and the equally special OE filter cartridges for about $9 each.

The Sprinter takes about 12.5 qts of oil, so the total cost is about $80. That's a savings of about $150 bucks. Not to mention the hassle (in our case anyway) of making sure the View is road ready and getting it out of the garage (it's a tight fit). For others it might mean going to wherever their rig is stored. Then driving to the shop, and hopefully not getting stuck in traffic or waiting because the shop is running late.

Of course, YMMV. An oil change for your chassis is probably much less expensive, and the difference in cost between DIY and what a shop charges may be negligible.