Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2024, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Upgrade RV Headlights 2017 Vista 29E

Hi all,
I own a 2017 Winnebago Vista 29 E. Has anyone updated the headlight and high beam lights with LED bulbs? If so, is there anything required to change other than switching out the bulbs?
I would appreciate any input from anyone that is experienced with this.
Thank you.
monytaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have searched several pages of old posts looking for relative information about upgrades to headlights. Haven't found alot. Anyone out there have any experience with upgrading their headlights to Led or better halogen bulbs to improve brightness?
Old 04-02-2024, 09:49 AM   #3
Site Team

Some things to know about RV headlights. Winnebago and other companies use all manner of lights from other vehicles or available for generic lighting on all kinds of vehicles. They generally don't detail where the lights come from and don't offer much detail about replacement bulbs - as you have found in your searches.

One other thing, a very high percentage of motorhome owners don't drive in the dark. I know in in 52,000 mi and 7 years I never have. I realize everyone's different and some like nothing more than 10-hours behind the wheel to make the most distance on each travel day. Certainly, good headlights would be a help with that.

Unlike automobiles and trucks, motorhomes sell in the few thousands and manufacturers change headlight suppliers every few years so there is just not the same market for improved lighting.

Good luck on your search and if you find anything report back so others can benefit.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:32 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I had a 2017 Vista and the bulbs are standard IIRC. They are a pain to get to, but you can pull one out from the engine bay and take it to an auto parts store. Just be careful when removing that you don’t damage any tabs on the housing.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:19 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

As mentioned, light assemblies are generally from other vehicles.Look at the lens and you should see a DOT number. Look that up. The headlights on my Sunstar are from a Ford Ranger. Some aftermarket manufacturers might be making upgrade assemblies
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

2017 Vista headlights are not from a car. They are generic round lights. Like a Hella 90mm round light. Not sure if they are actual Hella lights or not. They were at some point, but I think there’s knockoffs out there.
Lots of options from Hella in that style light. Xenon, halogen, LED, projector, and more. Just google Hella 90mm round for a good start.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Appreciate all the responses. I was specifically looking to find out if anyone had changed their bulbs out to something brighter or changed to led. I did find a vendor that was recommended by Hella to get replacement lights of the Hella brand. SSterlingco.com (770-632-8755). ($118.00 for 2 including tax and shipping) Ordered 2 replacement high beam lights. One was broken from rock and other foggy lense.
We too do not travel at dark much. Just would like to know I could see decently if needed. Right now it's pretty shabby.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We changed ours out from
H9LED H9 LED Conversion Set Headlights $99.00 Headlightexperts.com
Its simple unplug and replace lamp
Works pretty good, much better than original
Old 04-03-2024, 05:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Your answer was a little confusing. Do you have a 2017 vista 29ve? Also you charged out entire headlight to H9 LED? It's a conversion kit?
Thank you.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Simply installing LED bulbs is not the answer. The reflector is designed differently to maximize the light.
Most LED reflectors display a flat top of the light beam and concentrate the light in the proper area. Whereas using the old halogen reflectors scatter the light widely and without focus.
I know a guy that had new LED headlamp assemblies installed, which required fiberglass work to redesign the front cap. The result looks much better than the OEM.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The replacement bulbs have the reflector and have a flat top when projecting. Our motorhome is not the same as your year, but has the same hella headlights
Old 04-04-2024, 06:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ok. I am not familiar with the reflector that Ray in previous response referred to but audvid1 indicates the reflector comes theses led bulbs?
Old 04-04-2024, 06:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Perhaps this will explain better: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/giving-...isnt-worth-it/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 05:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thank you. Very informative article. Helps me understand alot.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:01 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I contacted Hella before switching to LED. Was told not a problem as long as I didn’t exceed the wattage rating of the housing. I purchased LED replacement bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com. Note: the ones I purchased had a set screw that allowed you to rotate the bulb in the housing to properly adjust the top cut-off line of the bulb. One thing I noticed when doing this was the factory adjustment of the headlights was so terrible it’s no wonder I couldn’t see. Anyway, after getting the top cutoff line correct and the housing adjustment correct, I can now see much better. The light is more natural, a little brighter, and more importantly, makes everything look more distinct while not being obnoxious to oncoming drivers.
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on my 2014 Vista - I installed an LED Lightbar on the front cowl bolted to the underside of the front hood with auxiliary mounts to the grill screening to make sure it wasn't weak. Gives me PLENTY of light when needed
stevenplongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

It has also been well documented that the voltage to the headlights is very bad on the F53 chassis. Just upgrading the wiring, with some relays, will get about 2 more volts to the bulbs, that will almost double the lumen output of the existing bulbs.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, upgrade