Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

On our 2003 Adventurer the "clear" cover on the headlights had turned "foggy". Someone mentioned a product called NOVUS(2) to make them clear again. It is made to remove fine scratches on many plastics and also fiberglass. I bought it at a Harley Davidson dealer for under $6.00 and used it today. It was very easy to use and the lights look like new again!!!
Looking around our RV parking lot I think a lot of RV ers will find this a very useful product!!

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the tip. The MH has the tiny lights that are glass but the Jeep Toad's lens are almost opaque so I'll pick the kit up. Google Novus and it shows up in a lot of place. There is a pdf HERE that describes the 3 step process. Again, thanks. Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Another alternative... Wally Mart (at least here) will polish your lenses for $39
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have used acetone and it works very well and is much easier. I used a kit for refinishing my MH lights and while doing the work a auto body repair salesman camping nearby told me about using acetone. He even showed me how on his own MH headlights. Use a soft clean cloth and saturate it with acetone then rub lightly on the headlight until it turns clear. The cloth will get a brownish color from the oxidation but once the cloth appears clean you are done. Easiest way I have ever seen to do this job. I have done it to the MH and both of my cars.

John
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

I used a product from Wal-Mart for about $20. I also found the same stuff at Advance Auto for the same $$. Worked great on my Jeep's headlights. The prep is the most important part. You need to spend plenty of time on the sanding part of the process. I slacked a little on the second lens and it shows. Still it's better than having to buy a new lens setup.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I only used the Novus 2 product on the headlights and it took less than 10 minutes. I did not even clean them before I started!

Afterwards I decided to try it on the (lovely Winnebago) brown decals on the MH sides that always fade and with a little rubbing it brought back the dark brown color. I suppose it works just like a very very fine sandpaper that takes the top faded layer off!.
I did finish it with a little Protectall polish!! The sides look a lot better.

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Well, Jmerritt, I have to say I was skeptical. But I walked by my workbench and there was a can of acetone. I could not resist. I did what you said and had shiny headlights once again on a '96 Jeep and a '98 Jimmy. Took maybe 15" to do all 4!

I still want to get some Novus because there is some FG stuff I'd like to try it on. Thanks to all for great tips. Steve
Old 01-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Check this out.

http://wbztv.com/seenon/Headli...gistry.2.580998.html

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, not so much on the acetone method.

Unless you actually wanted new headlight assemblies, because thats what I have to go and buy now.

Internet hoax.

Beware.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by BucknJeff:
Yeah, not so much on the acetone method. Unless you actually wanted new headlight assemblies, because thats what I have to go and buy now. Internet hoax. Beware.
Not sure what you mean? I did the acetone and it worked.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Well, the acetone I have must be different, or my headlights are different. They are made by Depo, and they fogged over immediately when I applied it, despite very gently rubbing, which did produce the yellowish residue on the cloth. At first, I thought it was getting better, but I stopped to let it dry, and then it fogged up considerably. Then, nothing would remove the fogging, and it only got worse. Finally, I tried a well saturated fresh rag, and the lens cover started to break down.

I was planning on replacing them anyway, so I'm not really out something I wasn't planning on. I am on a trip though, and it's going to be a pain to get the new ones (I found new ones for $180 a pair on ebay) sent to me.

Lesson learned. By the way, the rags were new, clean and free from any contaminants, and the headlights (well, the drivers side is the only one I tried) was clean as well. I had not previously tried any other remedies to correct this either. Fresh can of acetone from the Lowes just an hour before.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

A cheap method to restore foggy headlight lenses is to buff with toothpaste.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
BucknJeff
Thanks for the explanation. It probably is the type of plastic and I just got lucky that the ones on the Jimmy and Jeep were ok. I was scared at first too with the cloudy film but with more acetone and rubbing it went away whereas yours ate through! Wow. Thanks, Steve
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Wal-Mart has a service to clean the foggy headlights. I took my motorhome and they did my headlights. They had to do them twice to satisfy me but the end result was very good.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
adj
Winnebago Camper

Did I miss Brasso in this discussion? If not, It works great.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Fine grind rubbing compound will clean up foggy lens. Then wax for a fairly long lasting job.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I tried the acetone because my lights were yellow and i had some at the house. The first one worked great, then i got my wife to show the before and after. We were both delighted. then i did the second one. I put some acetone on a rag, then applied it. then we both agreed i need to do it again. I put some more on a rag, but it started to cause a white film to develope, the rag was even getting white. I may try some scratch remover or polishing compound. Then I relized, the only problem in my life are these yellowing haed lights.

Until last monday, over the weekend i tried to remove the lights to clean them. I notice they were bolted in with nuts. so i had to get a tarp to lay on my back to hold the nut while my wife turned to drill driver. well, i then relized the head light was one piece and would not come apart to clean.

Then monday night i was walking out in the dark and slipped on that tarp and broke my hand in two places. If I did have yellow headlights, I wouldn't have to type this long story with one hand.
Eagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

sucker, sounds like you need to start the week over again!! Heres hoping your hand heals well, and you get the yellow out of those headlamps. Cheer up it could be worse, could have broken an arm or leg instead of a hand.

Dieselclacker
Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

SUCKER: I think "MURPHY" was visiting you.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

-Tom
Quote:

-Tom
At Toms N's suggestion, I gave the toothpaste a try. My Headlights weren't "real bad" in spite of spending several months a year staring into the S. Az. Sun. I got the lens wet, and using a very damp microfiber towl, applied the "soupy" TP in a straight left and right motion. After a thorough application, I rinsed the lens with clear water, dried it, and applied a good coat of 303.. We will see how it lasts, but for now, I'm happy...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote