Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Adventurer and find the low beams to be extremely inadequate during night driving - especially in rural areas with very little light. The high beams seem to work well and give me a nice view up ahead.

I'm not sure if halogen lights will help or if the wiring is sufficient to handle them. If you've replaced your headlights, what did you use and what was your outcome?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Adventurer and find the low beams to be extremely inadequate during night driving - especially in rural areas with very little light. The high beams seem to work well and give me a nice view up ahead.

I'm not sure if halogen lights will help or if the wiring is sufficient to handle them. If you've replaced your headlights, what did you use and what was your outcome?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

This has been a problem with alot of owners. I tried doing a quick search to refresh my memory, and I did come up with two things.
The first is to make sure your lights are aligned properly. Don't "assume" the factory did it!! The next thing is that are brighter bulbs out there but you have to be careful of the wattage. Some will be too high for your existing wire harness and may cause problems.
One approach is to try the Sylvania Silverstars. I dont remember the part number, but Autozone, for one, carries them. They are not cheap, but sometimes they sell them in packs of two or maybe can get a rebate from Sylvania. I presume you can get the part number by cross referencing with the bulb part number that you have in your coach now. Now, I don't personally think the Silverstars are the perfect answer, but its probably the best alternative we have.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I appreciate the response. The Sylvania Silverstars sound like they may help. I will check them out. Will speak with someone first to be sure my wires can handle them.

Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Your wires will handle the Silverstars. They wont handle some of the higher wattage bulbs.
I had my lights adjusted by the dealer last year during its warranty period. They were out of adjustment. I must admit, though, that I havent driven it at night yet to see how the OEM lights work. I presume though that I will probably be going for the Silverstars. There had been lots of conversations a couple of years ago on the Ford truck sites and the Silverstar seem to be the best bet without going to a completely new wiring harness, etc. I put those in a Ford Pickup that I had when I was towing a fiver and to be honest, they helped, but still felt I could have used alittle more "juice". But that could just be my eyesight!!
Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I don't want to monopolize this section with a bunch of questions but would you happen to know what size of the Silverstar is needed for a 2002 Adventurer? I see there are a few different sizes. I'll also go online and inquire w/ Sylvania.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure if somewhere in our literature that came with the coach, it shows what the bulb is that is in there now. If so, you could then cross reference it. If not, call Winnebago at 800-537-1885 and they can tell you what is in there now.
Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just spoke with a representative at Winnebago as you suggested. He thinks the 2002 Adventurer headlights are fully enclosed which limits the opportunity to replace only the bulbs. Does that sound right? Has anyone replaced the headlights on the 2002 Adventurer or Suncruiser?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

For information my NEW 2005 Voyage had weird headlights. Low beams seemed high and the high beam looked like fog lights, lighting the ground in front of the coach. Well I went in for a warrenty check up found lights were wired (from the factory?) backward. Completely reversed from what they should have been. Shop fixed the lights and adjusted. All seems OK now.
Wonder if this was also your problem? Stranger things have happened.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

They look like seal beam lamps to me and as new as they are, should be halogen lamps. There may be seal beams that are of different wattage. Think they went to the differentlamp replacement configuration in 03 or 04, but not in 2002. Might check alignment!

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Sangone,
If you can get replacement headlights that are better, go for it. I know you need it! I had an '01 Adventurer that was terrible to drive at night - the headlights did virtually nothing to light up the road. Had the dealer align them and that didn/t really help. The OEM lamps were just inadequate!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They look like seal beam lamps to me and as new as they are, should be halogen lamps. There may be seal beams that are of different wattage. Think they went to the differentlamp replacement configuration in 03 or 04, but not in 2002. Might check alignment! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron - they are definitely halogen headlamps. Will try and get them aligned to see if that solves the problem. My guess is no but will get that done first.

If that doesn't work, my goal still stands - to find a source that offers replacements that are similar to Sylvania Silverstars. This may proved to be difficult as the headlights are fully enclosed as opposed to having the opportunity to change the bulb only.

I think Winnebago did go with a different configuartion on the headlights in 2003 (at least in the Adventurers/SunCruisers).
Old 04-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Maybe these guys can offer a suggestion. I haven't done business with them YET but see them referenced on other RV sites.

http://www.autolights.tv/index.shtml
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:25 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I changed the lamps on our 99 Durango with Silver Star. Little difference. I don't think it is worth the money.