Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Type of Oil etc.

We have a 2015 Gas Vista. We are concerned about our engine oil, tranny fluid, and differential fluid. Also the generator. Are these all synthetic? We have gone through the manuals several times and can find the numbers we need but nothing says what type of oil etc. is in the engine now.

Does anyone know? Where is it documented?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We have a 2015 Gas Vista. We are concerned about our engine oil, tranny fluid, and differential fluid. Also the generator. Are these all synthetic? We have gone through the manuals several times and can find the numbers we need but nothing says what type of oil etc. is in the engine now.

Does anyone know? Where is it documented?
You should have gotten a Ford chassis manual as part of the documentation that came with your motorhome. Ours is in it's own cloth folder in the "Chassis" partition of the large briefcase. The Ford chassis information folder should have the blue Ford logo on the front. The fluids are covered in the "Capacities and Specifications" section.

The engine oil recommended is 5W-20 synthetic blend. Recommended severe duty 5,000 mile change interval

The transmission fluid is Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF
Recommended 60,000 mile change interval

The rear axle is Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 synthetic rear axle lubricant. Recommended Severe Duty 50,000 mile change interval
Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thank you. We will go through our pile of paper and books again.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This has been brought up recently. My 2014 in the manual specifies 5W/20 engine oil and does not say anything about it being synthetic. The rear axle does specify synthetic but that is the only thing. I change my own oil and run conventional oil at the weight recommended. It appears earlier models specified the synthetic but not in my 2014 manual.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

All Cummins Onan generators are shipped with 15W-40 mineral base oil. The Operators Manual that should be with your motorhome notes the proper oil Another source is page 26 in the Cummins Onan RV Handbook available at http://power.cummins.com/sites/defau.../F-1123-EN.pdf
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
This has been brought up recently. My 2014 in the manual specifies 5W/20 engine oil and does not say anything about it being synthetic. The rear axle does specify synthetic but that is the only thing. I change my own oil and run conventional oil at the weight recommended. It appears earlier models specified the synthetic but not in my 2014 manual.
The 2014 owners manual doesn't specifically state synthetic blend oil in so many words.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_06_2014.pdf

However on page 115 in the "Ford Part Name or Equivalent" column it clearly states "Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil or equivalent"
In the "Ford Part Number/ Ford Specification" column it defines the specification for chassis sold in the US as "XO-5W20-QSP or XO-5W20-QFS"

If you Google "XO-5W20-QSP or XO-5W20-QFS"
Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (1 Quart) XO-5W20-QSP: Advance Auto Parts

you'll find the QSP specification is for:
Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (1 Quart)

Part No. XO-5W20-QSP

and the QSF specification is for Full Synthetic:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-F.../dp/B000NU5V92

Genuine Ford Fluid XO-5W20-QFS SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle
Old 09-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Spend the money and put in 100% Synthetic Motor Oil. Remember these things do a lot heavy hard driving for short periods of time and then sit for months on end. I use AMSOIL, yes it cost more but it's well worth it. I change mine annually. That also includes the Genny. I use AMSOIL 15W-40 Diesel oil in it.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It has nothing to do with money. I think it is stupid of Ford to be so vague about what oil is recommended. You get the manual with the vehicle and you read what the manual suggests for oil and nowhere does it suggest synthetic for the engine. Not everyone runs to a computer to start looking up numbers of oil to see if it is synthetic or not, including me. Seems to me that if it was really that important then it would be spelled out in black ink like all the other specs and information. And I suppose it has to be Motorcraft as well or it just wont be as good. I will keep what I just put in and then switch over to the synthetic next change.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I agre with 530KTM. We have never heard of Motocraft oil before and when my DW sent to buy a qt. at Walmart that brand couldn't be found. We don't think about going to the internet to look up something common like oil. A neighbor told us it was "Ford" brand oil. Why they need their own brand with all the others are out there I have no idea, why they don't want to tell you what type of oil it is? I get tired of needing to jump through hoops for the little things.

Everything for the $$$$.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ford isn't saying you have to use Motorcraft oil. In my previous post I outlined the columns in the Ford manual. The one with the description says "Ford Part Name or Equivalent". The key word here being Equivalent. They include the specification in the next column.

You don't have to use a computer to be sure you get the right oil. The oil specifications are printed on every bottle and every case. All you have to do is compare the spec in the book with the spec on the bottle. Specifications do change over time. That's why Ford includes them in the owners manual

In this case Ford has been specifying the same oil since 2001. They even include some models as far back as 1992.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Not to be difficult here but if what you are saying is true then why do they print in black ink the fact that the rear end uses synthetic oil? Why not just print the specs in the column and let the end user run to the store to start comparing bottles, or look it up on the computer? Come on Ford, get with it and help us dummies know what you want us to do.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Not to be difficult here but if what you are saying is true then why do they print in black ink the fact that the rear end uses synthetic oil? Why not just print the specs in the column and let the end user run to the store to start comparing bottles, or look it up on the computer? Come on Ford, get with it and help us dummies know what you want us to do.
The note about the differential oil being full synthetic is included because (as far as I know) Ford is (still) the only manufacturer to use full synthetic lubricant in the differential when the chassis is built. This is different than any other manufacturer so it is noted. They don't want owners or service garages topping off or replacing the oil with conventional gear oil.

In addition the service interval was changed from 30,000 miles (with dino based gear oil) to 100,000 miles with synthetic gear oil. Fast forward a few years and Ford now includes a "severe duty" service interval. The severe service interval is 50,000 miles.

If you think the Ford manual is confusing take a look at a Chevrolet owners manual. For the Impala. In section 10 "Vehicle Care" under specifications it says:

Viscosity Grade
SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the 2.4L L4 engine and the 3.6L V6 engine. SAE 5W-20 is the best viscosity grade for the 2.5L
L4 engine. Do not use other viscosity grade oils such as SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.
Use and ask for licensed engine oils with the dexos1® approved certification mark. Engine oils meeting the requirements for the vehicle should have the dexos1 approved certification mark. This certification mark indicates that the oil has been approved to the dexos1
Along with the note: See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 11‑12. specification.

In section 11 "Service and Maintenance it says:
Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication of the proper SAE
viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended. See
Engine Oil on page 10‑11.

So rather than having to read 2 columns on a single page you have to consult 2 different sections of the manual. Section 10 to get the proper viscosity, and section 11 to find out you need a synthetic blend. Even then they don't mention any SAE or API specifications.