Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2023, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Traction control on Ford E450 chassis V10 engine

I have a 2016 minnie winnie Ford E450 V10 which has no traction control switch. I live in Arizona and need to pass emission testing to renew my registration. So they find out that the dynamometer will not speed up as they run high load test. The attendant says we can not test your RV unless you can disable the traction control. He hands me service bulletin from Ford TSB 16-0168 that states Ford 2016-2017 E350, E450 series had no traction control switch installed. The fix is to get the PCM reprogrammed to fix traction control. Well did some research on the internet and learned something about traction control and the ABS system. Basically I found that if you can disable the traction control and ABS systems by removing the fuses for that system. So my RV has three fuses for ABS and removed them and started the RV and the ABS light and brake light lit up on the dash. Long story short disabling the ABS system let me pass the emissions test. I replaced the fuses so my ABS is back on now.
joeDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeDP View Post
I have a 2016 minnie winnie Ford E450 V10 which has no traction control switch. I live in Arizona and need to pass emission testing to renew my registration. So they find out that the dynamometer will not speed up as they run high load test. The attendant says we can not test your RV unless you can disable the traction control. He hands me service bulletin from Ford TSB 16-0168 that states Ford 2016-2017 E350, E450 series had no traction control switch installed. The fix is to get the PCM reprogrammed to fix traction control. Well did some research on the internet and learned something about traction control and the ABS system. Basically I found that if you can disable the traction control and ABS systems by removing the fuses for that system. So my RV has three fuses for ABS and removed them and started the RV and the ABS light and brake light lit up on the dash. Long story short disabling the ABS system let me pass the emissions test. I replaced the fuses so my ABS is back on now.
Is this Maricopa County? I'm in Pima county and I have 2 diesels with traction control and all they do is make me drive up, wait in line, pay the fee and they give me a "director's certificate" and let me go. No sniff, no OBD check, not even a check engine light check. Never been on the treadmill.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Good for you.
I am in Pima county. This emission station put my RV on the dynamometer. I made this post in case helps someone and they don't have to reprogram their PCM.
joeDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It must be because mine are diesel then, not sure why that matters though.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Now you got me thinking maybe things changed and they will ask me to disable my traction control and go on the rollers next time.

Tags
chassis, engine, ford, v10