Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide out spur gear and jacking?

I need to replace the 24-tooth spur gear on our full-wall slide out (~30'). It's a power gear Kwikee system. I have the gear. I spoke with tech support at Lippert and after sending pictures they told to simply jack the side of the slide out to pull the gear shaft. However, I cannot get the pressure off the gear. I've tried with the slide about half-way out and with it fully extended. I'm using a post jack at the end of the arm. Has anyone experience with replacing one of these. We full time and right now I can't find a place to take the work.
DanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Dan, Welcome
Are you in Wisconsin now? I see that's the address in your Profile. If so, take the RV to Winnebago's factory in Forest City, Iowa.

On that note, we have zero idea what RV you are asking about and there is no mention in your Profile either.

We really need to know what year, model and floor plan of RV you have to be of much help.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. Going to Iowa is out of the question - we're currently in GA. I've updated the profile to show a 2013 Journey 42E. I'm just trying to figure our how to take the weight off the spur gear...
Old 11-13-2022, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I've updated the profile to show a 2013 Journey 42E. I'm just trying to figure our how to take the weight off the spur gear...
Best to put this info in your Signature in your Profile so everyone can see it on every post you make — you’ll see that most of us do that. It’s super helpful.

Just click on “User CP” on the upper left hand side of the main menu, and then click on “Edit Signature.”
Old 11-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Recommend you post this on IRV2 - you'll get more visibility and there's a few guys that really know this stuff. I think it was JBMSR (Jesse) who has actually jacked up his FWS on a Tour / Ellipse...
Old 11-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Remember... there is nothing about the Power Gear slide out system that is unique to Winnebago. I don't know about your issue, but YouTube has a lot of videos about servicing slide out problems. Again, probably not Winnebago, but that doesn't matter.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I have searched videos, but cannot find one with the Power Gear Kwikee arrangement we have. I've spoken to tech support and Lippert and they advised to just jack the slide up - they said it was pretty straight forward. I'm trying to find someone who has experience on this specific one as this doesn't seem that straight forward. I just don't want to break something that is "mostly" working. Cheers
Old 11-13-2022, 12:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Thanks for the reply. Going to Iowa is out of the question - we're currently in GA. I've updated the profile to show a 2013 Journey 42E. I'm just trying to figure our how to take the weight off the spur gear...
Hi Dan and welcome. I'm in Georgia also and have used a great RV repair shop in Warner Robins to repair my Power gear slides. They are very qualified and expert on Lippert Slides (Power Gear) if you get to the point you want a shop to help. PM me and I'll drop the name and location if you need it.

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Joe,
Thank you! I will let you know if we get to that.
Kindest

Tags
slide, slide out