Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2023, 01:42 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Ruptured hydraulic line - why? 2 pics

Hi all, I previously had a leaking front jack hydraulic line (but not ruptured) and replaced both the extend and retract lines for this jack. The job went without issue. However, 6 weeks later (after having only used it once) this happened. I discovered it accidently while looking at something else.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what may have caused the line to blow in two places. I was initially thinking rodents, but I don't see any chew marks. The new lines were made up at a very reputable local hydraulic shop.

I've since replaced it with another from the same place so I'm hoping there's no repeat of this.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231117_103353.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	187924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231117_103523.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	187925  

Old 11-21-2023, 07:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I can think of several possibilities. One is that there was a manufacturing defect in the hose, the other that comes to mind is that the hose was damaged somehow during storage or handling. Where was the hose produced? The other possibility the hose was of the wrong pressure rating?

Hopefully, they replaced it at no charge.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

That looks like wrong material or possible damaged when crimping the ends?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree with Morich that this looks like the wrong material and doesn't match the other hose in the photo. It certainly doesn't look right if this is an HWH system. Personally, I used HWH OEM hoses to repair my slide hydraulics since there are so many specs to match.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I agree with Richard too. Hope you didn't cheap-out instead of buying the OEM. I seem to remember HWH lines are rated at 7,000 psi.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:38 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

OP here, thanks to all of the "usual suspects" for your thoughts. I tend to agree that it was either a manufacturing defect, and/or mishandling. Although they made the hoses right up in front of me, it could still have been something imperceptible which I didn't notice that damaged it. The hoses are 5,000 psi rated (or so they said) and the max pressure on the system is 2,150 PSI.

As stated, the hoses were made up at a local very reputable hydraulic hose business with multiple locations. It's all they do. It wasn't a matter of cheaping out at all, it was a matter of it's 8 miles from my house and I went over and picked them up. There are times that I 100% use OEM, an electronic controller as an example, and other times I don't. I guess we each have to choose when we do each.

Thanks for the thoughts. The new hose is on now and working well, so I guess I'll see if it was a "one off" or I need to find a new place to get hoses.

Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the update. I hope it continues working without problems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
Hi all, I previously had a leaking front jack hydraulic line (but not ruptured) and replaced both the extend and retract lines for this jack. The job went without issue. However, 6 weeks later (after having only used it once) this happened. I discovered it accidently while looking at something else.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what may have caused the line to blow in two places. I was initially thinking rodents, but I don't see any chew marks. The new lines were made up at a very reputable local hydraulic shop.

I've since replaced it with another from the same place so I'm hoping there's no repeat of this.

Thanks!
Faulty line or over pressure for that line spec.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Faulty line or over pressure for that line spec.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

JUNK !
poodleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Same thing happened to Us! sprayed hydraulic leveling jack oil all over a super-hot exhaust manifold just as I was on the back side off the I-82 hwy pass / grade Hwy. heading down into Selah, Wa., Talk about white smoke and the distinct fear of catching on fire !!. WEAK JUNK HOSE, Had a new custom 5 wire hose made at a John Deere dealer in Jerome, Idaho, Super nice people ! Installed in Utah at our 4th stop. Easy to do, NAPA had the tranny oil for the refill and bought some brake cleaner for a little oil removal.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:01 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

When I bought my motorhome new in 2013, I had an issue with the hydraulic lines on my Lippert Jacks. A couple of the orange hydraulic lines were bulging and I was having issues with the Jack Down Light coming on after the motorhome had sat in storage for several weeks. The defective lines were initially replaced with new OEM lines by the Dealership and covered under warranty.

Some time later (a couple months I think?), the same thing happened. Since the repair has been so long ago, I don't remember if it was the same couple lines that were initially defective or different ones. The Dealership finally replaced four of the lines with Gates hoses (rated at 5800 PSI).

Again, It has been so long, but I believe they replaced the four return lines. Almost 10 years later, I still have the motorhome and the lines that were replaced with the Gates hoses still look good.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The hose was leaking from day one! down the tube and on to the foot, I took it in for warranty work at the same dealer we bought it from brand new and they claimed it was a loose fitting? Wrong it was a bad orange hose, right from the factory! I guess warranty work is not the money maker? the shops want paying customers! Owning an RV for the first time has been a learning experience that's for sure ! My Father got into RVing in the early 1970's with a 12' camper on Chevy Longhorn, then a Champion, GMC, Apollo and then a Blue Bird Owner for 15yrs. full timer ! across the county 10 times, in every state, Mexico, Alaska and every Canadian Providence. I was treated to RV life at 16yrs old so I am well seasoned on RV problems and how to fix them on the road.......
It has been a challenge with Our Winnebago Vista 30T ! lots of aggravating little problems ! The one I am on now is a roof leak that I took to the same dealership to repair, what a joke ! charge me $375 buck for ZERO work !! CRAZY how they can get away with S----y work and justify charging you for it!
I guess they figured I would not go on the roof and look ? I caught them on it and it took 6 phone calls to get a person to at least say to bring the coach in for a second look ? RIGHT, let it sit in their lot for 60 days during peak RV season !! NO, so back to looking for the source !

2016 Vista 30T
2008 Nissan Xterra toad
49,350 miles

Tags
hydraulic