Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

The McCuff alone doesn't work for us because we need the additional length provided by the spout as well as the bend to change the angle. The new nozzles are short. The additional length also depresses the flap in the fill tube. We used the spout for months without the McCuff by holding the rubber cuff but the McCuff does make it a lot easier.
Don99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Guys I'm new to the community as a member but have been reading for years. This particular posting caught my eye a while back and I did indeed purchase two McCuffs one for my Harley and one for my Winnie.

I FREAKIN' love it. So simple and yet it does the trick for both the Hog and the Winnie.

Kick down the $20 bucks you'll be glad.

Oh get the SPORT Version for the your Winnie

Kev'o
WinniesBagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

WinniesBagel, welcome to IRV, oh an keep on posting info. I did get the McCuff, but I got the regular size one, just have not used it yet. Guess I will be also looking for an old oil can spout, all our oil now comes in plastic bottles. Spouts have been out for a long time. Got to fix this ourselves, as Winnebago has designed a flawed fuel fill system and will not admit that what they made is not working right.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Why should Winne provide the fix? I would think that the state of CA should pay for the fix since they caused the problem in the first place.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Traveler - California can't afford to keep its parks open, much less fix my fueling issue. I don't think we'll be seeing any help from that direction.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

As a Californian I understand that, but to expect Winnebago to pay for a fix to a problem caused by the state seems a bit unfair. Just my opinion.

Nick
Old 03-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Nick...you miss the point. CA air resources board REQUIRES this nozzles for ALL California gas service stations. The nozzle does not fit our Winnebago's, this is a design fault from Winnebago. Calif. will not change the design of the required gas nozzle (thousands of gas nozzles all over the state!) and usually what Calif. does OTHER states soon follow. So one would expect to see soon this same ill fitting gas nozzle in other states and the problems would them begin to multiply around the country. Then out of state travelers to Calif. will have issues obtaining fuel at Calif. service stations. This is an issues I have. The Motorhome needs to been fixed to allow us to fuel our vehicles...regardless of the nozzle type.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Vintage Oil Can Spouts

Ebay sells the "VINTAGE OIL CAN SPOUTS"

Vintage Oil Can Spout Opener Metal - eBay (item 120463919670 end time Mar-19-10 14:27:51 PDT)
Old 03-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I don't think I am missing the point. It is a question of who caused the problem and who should be responsible for the fix. When did the state implement these new pumps?

I notice you have a 2007 rig so was this a problem from your original purchase?

Nick
Journey '01
Old 03-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Don99:

Thanks for your post. I bought a new oil can spout from VintageDepotDirect.com - Antique Advertising & Vintage Collectibles for $8.84, shipping included. Their phone is 805-610-8133.

The spout nozzle was too big for the gas flap opening so I threaded inside a 8 inch piece of 1/2 inch pvc. The 1/2 inch will go thru the gas flap.

I bought a McCuff (think it is the Sport, lost the receipt) and now I will modify the can spout. The piercing part is held in place by a small nut/bolt. There is a small hole I should patch now that it is removed.

I don't have the outside dimension of the CA nozzle. The spout opening is approx. one inch by one inch before it narrows down to the circular portion of the spout, which also seems to be about one inch in diameter. Circumference is about three inches.

Won't know for sure if my spout will work until we get to CA and try it out.

Last time we were in CA was a year or more and at some gas stations there was at least ONE old fashioned type, narrow pump nozzle still available for use.

Also bought a flat "E-Z Fill Nozzle Key", cat. # 2818, made for motorcycles, from Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear. 800-222-1994. Will keep it handy, just in case.

Let us know what Redlands Truck has in mind for you.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Scooter - I'll measure the diameter of the California nozzles the next time I get gas. Eight inches of pvc may be too much, you'll have to experiment. Our oil spout fit nicely into the gas fill without modification, other than changing the angle of the spout. With the McCuff you probably won't need the E-Z Fill Key, but having options and alternatives is always a good thing. Since there are so many different gas fill setups in different rigs what works for us may not work of others.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Don99:

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at the McCuff instructions and at note 3 it shows a hole in the tip of a gas pump nozzle. ("This hole must be inside your tank when filling") Don't recall if I had ever noticed this.

In any event, are you going to drill a small hole in your spout to replicate the hole in the gas pump nozzle? Guess I will do this in my pvc extension.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Scooter - I noticed that on my McCuff instructions too, and we are going to drill a hole in the spout. I could be wrong but that may have something to do with the automatic shutoff. Unfortunately we probably won't have the opportunity to check out my theory until June since we have a full tank with no trips planned for a while. Other than the overflow problem, for us the spout still works without the hole.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I don't think I am missing the point. It is a question of who caused the problem and who should be responsible for the fix. When did the state implement these new pumps?

I notice you have a 2007 rig so was this a problem from your original purchase?

Nick
Journey '01
So happens one of the first times I had the nozzle problem was right after I purchased my rig. I first contacted Winnebago soon after and was told that they were not aware this was a problem. So I took a several photos of the nozzle not fitting and sent them to Winnebago. I never heard back from them.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

A more cogent question should be: What is W/I going to do in the future to alleviate this problem. Not only in CA as these oversized gasoline nozzles will be spreading to other states. Sooner or later.

Our filler door is 8" x 8". TOO SMALL

If W/I had one-half a brain in their design/engineering department, they would have made their filler doors about 12" x 12", since this problem surfaced in 2006 or so. But no, the problem just might go away if we bury our heads in the sand.

I would be interested to hear from other W/I owners about HOW LARGE ARE THEIR FILLER DOOR OPENINGS.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Our service reps at Redlands Truck and RV talked to Winnebago last week about the problem and the response from Winnebago was that this is a California problem not theirs. So I don't see any help coming from that direction.

At least for us the problem isn't really the size of the gas door (although that would help) but the angle of the fill cap. If the cap/end of the fill tube was more close to vertical (as it is on both our SUVs) the new CA nozzles would not be a problem. However since our fill cap is closer to horizontal, that is a problem. That's why we need the oil spout to change the angle.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I was under the RV a couple of days ago looking at the gas filler line as it exits the gas cap and runs to the middle of the body where the tank is located.

I was wondering if the filler line could be extended, upwards, towards the filler door and eliminate the recess which keeps the oversized nozzle away from the gas cap.

Whadda ya think?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Scooter - The new California nozzles are about 3/4" in diameter and the hole is on the underside about 1/2" back from the tip. That hole is about 3/16" in diameter. Our oil spout is a only slightly larger than 3/4" in diameter, it's actually closer to a square at 3/4" on each side. Our spout fits nicely into the RV and some of our other vehicles but is a little too large to fit well in at least one of them. You might consider crimping your spout a little to get it to fit your rig, rather than adding the PVC. But I'm not sure if your setup is like ours or if you need the additional length. You may want to bring your pieces and see what works best when you get here, rather than making any connections permanent.

I believe our gas fill tube is similar to yours. I have talked to Redlands Truck and RV about cutting the gas fill tube and adding a flexible piece to get the fill hole/gas cap more vertical. For us the real issue is getting the fill hole/gas cap more vertical, rather than moving it up. It could probably be done but we're not ready to go that route yet. And I'm not sure how adding the additional bend in that tube would work out. Maybe we'll do it later. Our solution works for us now and we'll have to see if adding the hole solves the overflow problem. If it does then we should be set
Old 03-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

don99:

Thanks for your reply. I had shoulder replacement done Friday and won't be doing much of anything for 2-3 months.

Later on, I would like to bring the RV to a shop and see about adding an extension to bring the gas cap both UP and VERTICAL and CLOSE to the filler door. This might eliminate any oil can spouts, Cuffs and pvc extensions that I have been contemplating.

I am curious why hardly anyone else has not jumped in concerning this matter. It may be their filler doors are much larger....or their gas caps are closer to the filler door and/or in a vertical position.

Would any other W/I owners please advise your situation?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

I'm bringing this back up to the top to see if anyone else has any comments or experiences related to my/our problem.

I had a fiberglass RV repair person over last week, but he did not want to tackle the job due to various frame and filler neck/overflow complications.