Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2022, 05:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fresh Water Inlet / City Water connection leaking

We just took delivery on our 2022 Winnebago View 24D. When I hook up city water to the fresh water inlet, there is no way to tighten it to get it to stop leaking. It's a constant flow leak too, not just a few drops per minute. I put plumbing tape on my Camco EvoFlex hose and it didn't help at all. I've spent some time over the last 3 days trying to find a solution and nothing seems to have any effect.

I've got it set to Normal and the city water in the RV faucets, shower, etc works fine.

I've got a pressure regulator and we're always around 35-45 PSI.

I've got a Camco water filter after the pressure regulator and before the Camco EvoFlex hose.

The OEM Fresh Water Inlet seems to be made of cheap plastic. There's an O-ring (orange) with a metal mesh just inside of it that doesn't seem to be a good fit. Is there some part number for this O-ring? I'd like to try replacing it.

I've heard that putting a brass L-elbow into the Fresh Water Inlet might help make a better fit and eliminate the leaking. I plan to try this today. But given the design of the water service center, it doesn't seem like this L-elbow would necessary for any other reason.

Does anyone else have suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!
Splaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If it is a hose washer with a screen, you can get replacements at about any hardware store. Here's a link to hose washers with a screens at HD.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I agree that it sounds like a defective or poorly seated O ring. Have you tried seating the ring by pushing on the edges with your fingernail or some sort of dull tool or dowel? You can use a flat blade screwdriver but you need to be very careful to not damage the washer. You could put tape on the blade for added security.

I'm not sure about an elbow resulting in a better fit, but it reduces the stress placed on your inlet by not having the hose sticking straight out. I use a plastic one. My untested theory is that it will protect against damage in case someone trips over the hose (or should you drive away with the hose connected) since it will be the weakest link. Despite what you might think, they're not fragile in normal use, I've probably had mine for fifteen years. I do see online that most seem to be brass these days.

And props to you for using a pressure regulator. You should also use a filter and, if so, mount the pressure regulator on it so you don't accidentally leave it on the water spigot when you leave. I like the canister type as opposed to the inline filters. You can get different types of filters, the best filtering out bacteria as well as sediment, taste and odor.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 2106DS View Post
If it is a hose washer with a screen, you can get replacements at about any hardware store. Here's a link to hose washers with a screens at HD.
Thank you. That does look similar to what we have. I appreciate you giving me the name. I didn't know what to search for.

I've attached a shot of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220626_132046482.MP.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	183318  
Old 06-26-2022, 08:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I agree that it sounds like a defective or poorly seated O ring. Have you tried seating the ring by pushing on the edges with your fingernail or some sort of dull tool or dowel? You can use a flat blade screwdriver but you need to be very careful to not damage the washer. You could put tape on the blade for added security.

I'm not sure about an elbow resulting in a better fit, but it reduces the stress placed on your inlet by not having the hose sticking straight out. I use a plastic one. My untested theory is that it will protect against damage in case someone trips over the hose (or should you drive away with the hose connected) since it will be the weakest link. Despite what you might think, they're not fragile in normal use, I've probably had mine for fifteen years. I do see online that most seem to be brass these days.
I tried pushing on it a bit, but I couldn't get it to move much and I was afraid of damaging the rubber.

I just finished installing the brass elbow. I also noticed that while the grips for tightening are plastic, the hose connection is actually brass. With the elbow, I was able to get better torque and really get it snug. Then with the elbow bringing the hose connector out and making it more accessible (plus being brass) I was able to get the connection to the hose much more snug.

Leak fixed!

I will still order some hose washers with screens for the future, just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220626_132329281.MP.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	183319  
Old 06-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had an issue with my fresh water inlet leaking as well, your pic is almost identical to what I have now, but my pressure regulator is connected to the elbow, and my elbow has a shutoff valve built in. If you have an inline filter already I'm not sure what value the screen adds, you could probably replace it with a simple washer.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I suspect there is another point causing the leak and it often has to do with the hose we are trying to connect. Many hose products do not have good ends on them and some are so thin, they can get bent slightly so that they don't seal well against the washer in some mating products.
If you want to keep the L fitting, fine but if it tends to go the wrong way, I might suggest trying different ends in line to see if the first you tried is just one which is not shaped just right to mate as it should.
I'm guessing that the L fitting has a somewhat flat edge where it meets the hose washer and that lets it work while the one which leaks has a much sharper edge and possibly not shaped just right.

This should be just a simple hose connection and no tape or other sealer is used as the hose washer and flat mating surface do the seal.
For my uses, I look at pulling the screen out as I do not need it as I have a filter doing it much better, so I pull it out if it gives trouble. I jjust jamp long nose pliers in and ditch that part, then shop for a reallly soften hose washer to but in it's place. The softer the material of the washer, the easier it compresses and forms to any small dents, nicks, etc in the end of the hose I connect and without fighting it too hard!
Hose washers come in lots of different materials, so I shop local to get the "feel" I want.
Most any big box or hardware for cheap stuff?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

It is good practice to put the pressure regulator at the water source so that the hose is also protected either whole system.
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yo Splaktar,

Been down that same road for years with leaking fresh water connections on multiple Winne RVs. Currently have a 2020 Navion 24V with the exact same configuration shown in your photos. On the rare event I was successful stopping the leak, removal of the hose proved extremely difficult due to the tightness.

Gonna try your solution as soon as I can get over to HD.

Special thanks for the photos which are most helpful.

cthiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H View Post
It is good practice to put the pressure regulator at the water source so that the hose is also protected either whole system.
I agree. I've read many stories about drinking water hoses bursting.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthiggy View Post
Yo Splaktar,

Been down that same road for years with leaking fresh water connections on multiple Winne RVs. Currently have a 2020 Navion 24V with the exact same configuration shown in your photos. On the rare event I was successful stopping the leak, removal of the hose proved extremely difficult due to the tightness.

Gonna try your solution as soon as I can get over to HD.

Special thanks for the photos which are most helpful.

cthiggy
I hope that it works for you. Good luck! 🤞🏼
Old 07-04-2022, 02:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

One thing to look for in getting connections that are not too hard to connect but still avoid leaks is the shape of the item connected. In this case, the RV connection has a rubber washer type seal which has to be compressed to make it seal.
If we have a hose that has a fitting on the end which has sharp edges that can get bent every time we drop it on the ocncrete, we will have a fight. But if we get a hose connection with heavy duty flat parts where they meet the washer, it works much better due to the amount of contact as well as not getting bent so easy.

I would guess if you compare the end of the 90 with the end of the hose which gives you trouble, you will se a major difference in the shape! Sharp edges that are bent, won't seal, even if you can't see the bend.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:14 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Maybe it's the picture, but it does appear the o-ring gasket is not properly seated. Look at the bottom portion of the gasket and how it appears to be pushed too far past the threads. as mentioned above, the o-ring washer screen may need to be replaced. Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #14
2014 Access Premier 26QP

Leaking city water connection

I put this city water connector last year. Already I cannot get any hose to seal properly. I have changed washers, hose end fittings, etc. I connected an air fitting, pressurized to 40 psi and used leak check. You can see the bubbles in the attached picture. It looks like it is leaking somewhere behind the joint. Is the city water connector 2 pieces joined together?Click image for larger version

Name:	connection leak.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	184280
jimgossett2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, leak, water